Newbie Upgrading the HDD here

dcm2284

How does T3CH just get away with distributing XBMC on his site like that? Everyone seems to freak out about xbox binaries but he seems unaffected. He could be in another country or whatever but still, You don't see many others doing it. Is there some kind of crazy workaround?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that T3CH's a girl. The official xbox nightly builds are freely distributed via direct download as well. I forget the url, but it's not xmbc's website, it's a site dedicated to the nightly builds.

Well I'm still waiting for the HDD to come in but after reseaching in the meantime I realized that SATA drives seem to cause a few more problems than they should. At the time I bought this harddrive

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST...S-R&cat=HDD

I read that all I needed as a SATA -> IDE adapter but now I realize that these can be pretty spotty as far as quality goes. I got a good deal on the drive too as you can see ($44) so it was hard to think twice about it. I'm thinking now I just want to do everything the right way since this will probably be my one and only mod. I'll probably cough up the extra cash and get a 500GB IDE drive. I just wish I was more patient a week ago.

I've never tried a SATA drive in an xbox, coz I don't like the idea of using an adapter. An IDE would be much safer if you ask me. And if you're going as high as 500GB, you'll need to make sure when you format it that you set the cluster size to 32kb to avoid long term data loss. The AID may do this for you if you use it to set up your partitions, but you can make sure by using XBPartitioner v1.1, which I think is on the disc. For a 500GB drive your clusters MUST be 32kb or you will start to see files dissapear after a time.

OK new newbie question relating to this topic. I set the drive up using Slayer 2.7 and when I look at the partitions it sets up I have a c: partition with barely 2gb on it, an E: partition with about 5gb on it and everything else (458gb) on the F: partition. Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that almost all of the free space should sit on F:.

Nope that seems normal. You will also have a X,Y and Z drives too. These are cache drives. You could have had a G:\ drive aswell. Anything over 120gb (i think, cant remember) can be allocated to G:\. Depends on bios/chip etc.

That's exactly how it should be. You need that space on your E drive for savegames. The C drive is for the Microsoft dash stuff and should be left alone really. You can put stuff on the E drive if you really want, but with over 400GB on your F drive, you shouldn't need to. You might wanna double check your cluster size with XBPartitioner, as I don't know if Slayers Disc sets it to 32kb for drives over 250GB. Better safe than sorry. The last thing you want is your data wiping itself next year.

I definitely made sure that it was 32bit clusters before i did anything haha. I read that enough in the forums as I was researching it. So now I'm good, Slayer 2.7 is great aside from the out-dated emulators.