Newbie Upgrading the HDD here

dcm2284

So I decided to dust off my xbox after having it sit in my closet for 4 years so that I could just now get into the modding scene. I have been researching non-stop for a few weeks now and went through and ordered an X3 CE and 500gb HDD last night. I chose the HDD using the compatability chart that is out there and can say that it's a Seagate ST3500320AS. I know locking doesn't really matter for a hard modded box.

My question is basically what are the steps I need to take to properly format everything to begin with the mod. I should be getting the chip and HDD around the same thing so I was looking to do everything at once. I read the there are certain things I need to do (flash the bios) to properly format the drive to allow the system to revognize anything >137gb.

Should I mod first, transfer everything off my original HDD then swap it out? Any help would be great, everyone seems to know a lot on these boards.

THANKS!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im presuming that after 4 years the only things worth saving from original HDD are game saves. Most of the Homebrew stuff will be well out of date (besides any roms you may have for emulators) . If it were me. I would install chip, save any stuff i wanted to PC via FTP. Then download an all in one installer like Auto Installer Deluxe. Install new HDD and use AID to set it up. Re-Install some form of Dashboard (XBMC is proving very popular and quite rich in its features). There are a few dashboards you could use any many configs. Its all down to personal choice.

the steps are very simple if you have a chip in fact its a piece of cake.

1.install chip.

2.download slayers auto installer 2.7 or auto installer deluxe 4.50

3.burn installer iso to disc/dvdr.

4.flash chip with auto installer

5.take out old xbox hdd,put in shiny new one.

6.put auto installer disc back into xbox and format new hdd.

7.then install whichever apps you want from the disc,it does it automatically.my suggestions xbox media centre as main dash,unleashx as an app and dvd2xbox as an app.

check over at xbox scene on how to flash the executer chip bios correctly because if i remember the xecuter3 chip has 3 banks you can flash as in have at least 2 different bios on your xbox that you can switch between for playing online if you wish.

there are plaenty of threads over there concerning which bios you should flash especially seeing as the older bios(really older bios)have a 137gb limit.

sounds good. Yes all that I care about on my old HDD are my save games (GTA SA at 100% gotta keep that one!). I'll look at xbox-scene again a little harder. For some reason I felt that everything I was reading was dated so I wanted to make sure I was doing what was right for the most current set up.

Also, wouldn't it make sense to have somewhat of a "set-up" disk for all of my firs-time installs. This would obviously include XMBC and slayer but I was thinking that if I'm going to be installing a lot wouldn't it be easier to put a collection of apps/tools on one disk to start with? If you agree what are some of the essentials I should look around for? I know XMBC takes care of a lot but I was thinking emulators, media players, set up tools, etc.

XBMC should tell you what chip and bios you have running. You have to look in system information.

sounds good. Yes all that I care about on my old HDD are my save games (GTA SA at 100% gotta keep that one!). I'll look at xbox-scene again a little harder. For some reason I felt that everything I was reading was dated so I wanted to make sure I was doing what was right for the most current set up.

Also, wouldn't it make sense to have somewhat of a "set-up" disk for all of my firs-time installs. This would obviously include XMBC and slayer but I was thinking that if I'm going to be installing a lot wouldn't it be easier to put a collection of apps/tools on one disk to start with? If you agree what are some of the essentials I should look around for? I know XMBC takes care of a lot but I was thinking emulators, media players, set up tools, etc.

well if you want the most up to date then get aid 4.50 instead of slayers as slayers was last updated 3years ago.

aid 4.50 has all the newest versions of all the apps and emulators.

when you are talking about media players xbmc is the no1 choice as for setup tools what do you mean by that??

when you are talking about media players xbmc is the no1 choice as for setup tools what do you mean by that??

Thats helpful. As for the setup files, I'm not sure really. I was speaking from a PC perspective of having an install disk of all the common apps/programs you would want to put on a fresh install. I like to keep everything in one place so if I ever have to reformat or do this for someone else, I have it on one disk.

Thats helpful. As for the setup files, I'm not sure really. I was speaking from a PC perspective of having an install disk of all the common apps/programs you would want to put on a fresh install. I like to keep everything in one place so if I ever have to reformat or do this for someone else, I have it on one disk.

well you have everything you need in the auto installer disc,version 4.50 is the most up to date version and was released in june of this year.

you dont need anything else when it comes to adding apps,emulators,formatting hdds.....etc

Yup, it's so easy these days. Too easy. You don't know you were born.