Career

LoRd_SnOw

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoma, I know what you mean about that out of reach dream. I've been wanting to direct/screen write since I was a kid. Unfortunately, film schools are horrendous with fees and it's never a for-sure thing when you DO graduate. I'm thinking about being an Ultra Sound tech and take some theology classes online. For now, we're waiting until things come together financially in order for me to start.

The problem with me is that I get bored easily. I'll want to do something new and maybe go back to something else later. I like learning. I honestly don't see myself doing one thing for the rest of my life. Aside from being a mom.

I've been thinking alot about this, but also im abit surprised at the responses here.

At first i wanted to do computer science, but like many others have mentioned here, everyone who likes computers seems to want to get into the computer field. My major was set to computer science last year, but then i switched it to Liberal Arts; im not sure what i want to do, i suppose with that LA degree i could major do something in business, like excel doing spread sheets.. I live in New york, and it's hard as cold shit on a -1 degree winter day to get a job out here. I had a few jobs, but i've been layed off alot. I use to work at Radioshack, Gamestop, little ceasers pizza (manager) and then i use to be a file clerk, which i got layed off before the holidays in 2007. I recently applied for a position at world trade center 7 as a mail clerk, got one phone call about a 2 weeks ago, about submitting my resume, in which i did, but no other responses yet.

I agree with veristic, i do have to stand out more, putting my stuff online, selling stuff, providing support and hope that something magical happens. That way if i ever do try to get a job at some big corperation i will have evidence of my work online for attestment purposes.

Edited by Snow Patr0l

I never went to college and I mysteriously joined the fire department and have loved it ever since. What's funny though is that everyone goes to college for many years to pursue a career and degrees out the yingyang. I spent 9 months in a NPQ1 class and became a certified firefighter in the state of Georgia.

Moral? Fuck college.

I'm trying to start a career in the field I studied. I graduated last year from university with a degree in theatre and performance studies, and am currently a freelance actor. As such I don't do very much work at all. I worked as an extra today and yesterday on a couple of drama's being filmed over here. Terrible money, two hour drive to the locations and back, waiting around all day only to be used in a couple of shots. It sucks really, but at least it's in the area of what I've studied all my life. What I really want to do is theatre acting, as that's what I've done all thorugh my education, and there isn't all the waiting around that there is for tv and film. Plus when I'm in a play I'm not just a guy standing in the background, I'm a lead actor. I'm involved with a local theatre company, but where I'm from there isn't too much going on so things are slow. At least if you have qualifications in IT you'll be able to get a regular job that pays well. IT skills are my backup if my dream dies. I'll do a course for a year and get a qualification in it and get a job as some kind of tech support in an office somewhere.

Wow, Ice Man I had no idea! Back in '99, I was accepted at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow. My dreams were shattered and I couldn't go because of some issues that were going on. The aftermath of it all left me broke and hopeless. Then I started looking up colleges for film since I have boxes of half finished screenplays written. I thought perhaps if I couldn't do theater, maybe I could be a director. Preferably for documentaries.

Now, I'm fat w/ a kid but still holding onto the dreams of being in the entertainment industry. I never wanted to be into heavy acting though because I'm not a put-me-in-the-spotlight kind of person. I preferred being in theater as well. There's more concentration and artistic achievements involved when you're into that sort of thing.

I used to have goals but that was a long time ago. I don't know what happened to them.

Haha, are you a doctor yet?

Not yet. 1.5 more years left of school and then several years of residency. I don't know what field I want to go into yet but so far I'm thinking of going into surgery.

I don't know what field I want to go into yet but so far I'm thinking of going into surgery.

That's a very stressful position. My aunt was a surgeon for many years. What kind of surgery?

Minimally invasive GI surgery or trauma surgery. So far I haven't found anything I've really liked until I started my surgery rotation a month ago. It's busy as hell and I'm at the hospital for 12 hours+ and I'm just a student who doesn't really do anything. But there is such less bullshit involved in surgery that was so prevalent in my medicine rotation.