Joystick Research

Krosigrim

Sounds like you've got it all in gear. Don't get pissed though if something wrong should happen. You know how awesome Scott is when he's doing a project. But if something is off slightly, he gets very aggravated hahah.

I'm trying to get him on this site but he just doesn't have much time. I'm thinking about just making him an account here that way he can just pop on whenever. He usually has some great ideas.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think soldering the xbox pad is the hardest part.

I know there's a guy on SRK who sells prewired pcbs.

Yea Ill definitely practice up on soldering. That is gonna be the clincher.

As for getting angry, I do tend to have a short fuse when it's something I directly control... so if something should go wrong I'll likely be swearing lol.

I picked up more cardboard from work and will be making mock ups real real soon.

More later.

once you start construction proper we'll need a dedicated progress thread with lots of pictures.

Oh yes I intend to! I just bought a used wired controller from Game Stop. Apparently Microsoft no longer makes them so all you will likely find new is 3rd party. I wanted the original controller because of the Guide button... I am mounting that bitch right on the stick. The 3rd party version looks like shit. I may also be replacing the LED to blue... yes blue. Im wondering how itll look in person as the plastic is greenish. But I've seen the pics. Blue to match the cushion and buttons.

• 2 weeks later...
did you get those parts you ordered? we need updates.

Well I got those adjustable microswitches. I was talking to Sean at Lizardlick.com about them and sent him a pic. dsc05593a.jpgPic of a switch I got after I adjusted the set screw.

He opened up the microswitches that come with Happ and told me it looks the exact same but with a set screw. He was wondering if all they did was drill a hole and put a screw in! They arent silent, but much quieter in this state. When I first adjusted it to silent, I opened it up and found it was forced to N.O. " normally open", so that was too far. Anyway, at a fair adjustment like the one shown, instead of a "CLICK" it's more of a "tak"

Well now that I see there is nothing special about the switch itself, but rather something stopping the N.C. "normally closed" path from connecting (less force needed to make connection with the NO as the magnet on arm isnt on the NC at rest) I can now modify my own microswitches. Of course my modification will be better... There is no need for adjustable functionality, you see, the set screw is on a spring bar and that thing will likely "wear in" so I'll likely need to adjust them again once that happens... I'll post more on my superior modification some other time.

My other parts will arrive in a day or two, and I have made 1 mock up for preliminary design.

joystickmockup01.jpg ~ 20" X 11 1/2" X 2 3/4" ( ~50.8 cm X 29.2 cm X 7 cm )

As you can see I want to go with a 45 degree (or there abouts) on the wrist corners. I already have a basic construction idea, I'm not up on terminology... Im cutting the edges at an angle.

sidecut01.jpgthen sanding t a slight curve of course...

When I say edges, Im referring to the side boards at the top. They are just gonna pass the face board so that it makes an inlay, so I can place the plexy or whatever material Im gonna use, and make it flush with the edges.

This is what I had drawn up first stick.jpg

joystickguideline.jpg And this is where I am now.

It's designed to sit in my lap with my wrists comfortably resting on it. I made sure and I have plenty of space vertically for my parts. I still fully intend to make a cushion for the bottom, but I think I'll make it removable.

sspx0262.jpg Heres a pic of the material in the sunlight. This shit looks amazing!

I was also thinking of making a backdrop for under the plexy with the material too. I can always print up anything and change it if I so desire, but I want to see how this will look under the plexy and button face.

Well thats a bit of everything. Once I tighten up the design, and get things moveing, I'll make a new thread but until then, I wish for feedback in this thread. No one but Inky and Shibathe has really said anything about joysticks. So, what do you think of mine so far... that is, what I have disclosed... heh. And what do you like/dislike about whatever stick that... sticks out to you.

This is what I had drawn up first

stick.jpg

joystickguideline.jpg

And this is where I am now.

are you sure you want the buttons angled that steep? looks like a wrist breaker. the first angle looks better.

what about this?

Untitled-1.jpg

besides moving the angle I moved the button array and stick up higher onto the panel. more material lower will help support your hands and wrists.

1emu got hardcore,

Fuck yea!

So Inky... Funny thing is what you drew is close to what I actually have. Yes the angle I drew there is quite steep, I for some reason, drew a 45 degree, when I want somewhere around 30 degrees. What you drew was too much. I want the buttons to be at the angle that my hand lays. Its somewhere between both our pictures. As for the stick... that was just me doing the pic real fast. My box is actually closer to what you drew than mine. I gotta run so thats why Im not fixing the pic. Thanks for the consideration though!

And yes... back and start are going somewhere over there.