Ummmm, i'm confused...

Silem

Ok, first I must say a couple things,

1) I am slightly new to MAME, so sorry in advance if that troubles anyone.

2) I don't have a highly technical grasp of scripting or coding knowledge, once again, I am sorry if that upsets anybody.

3) I have no idea what i'm doing wrong....

Now that i've put that out, here's my problem,

I'm trying to run KOF98 and SVC Chaos, but whenever i try to run them, I get this,

HELPME.jpg

I'm guessing from the look of it, that I don't have the right NEOGEO BIOS file, I'm not asking for one, or a link to one, for that matter, I just want to know if I have an older version, or a newer one, or whatever.

P.S.

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me, is that it says I don't have SFIX.SFIX, although I KNOW I have that in my bios file....

please help me, and if there is another topic about this same problem somewhere else, please inform me, for I could not find it.

Thank you in advance!

Your problem (or anything relating to it) does not need any kind of scripting nor coding knowledge. What version of MAME are you using?

By the looks of it, your MAME BIOS files are outdated (CRC calculations of the files do not match what MAME expects them to be, and some BIOS files have the wrong lenght), and you don't have the proper MAME set of SvC Chaos, for the same reasons.

My MAME version is 0.133.0.0

oh, and I forgot to mention i'm using MAME32, since having a UI is easier for me,

and when you mean my MAME BIOS are outdated, your talking about the MAME files itself, or the NEOGEO BIOS?

I am sorry for not understanding, I am just a little confused right now since I came off the topic of the NEOGEO being wrong,

and now it might be the MAME itself...

Also, thank you so much for replying so quickly!

Edited by Silem

Yes, I meant the Neo-Geo BIOS files that MAME uses, my bad. They are different from the "basic" Neo-Geo BIOS files. It's worth noting though that all emulators that emulate the Neo-Geo these days use (at least should) the same set of BIOS files that MAME does. Many romsites do not even carry the old BIOS set, because it's basically useless.

For the record, there was a time when all emulators used a different set BIOS files (NeoRAGEx still does, being a relic and all) until MAME's way of doing things brought upon the change. Or, alternatively, people realized that the Neo-Geo BIOS files were named kinda weird and/or some needed files weren't there to begin with - well, whatever the case was, Neo-Geo emulation back then worked just fine with those BIOS files.

Alright, so what you're saying is, I need to get the most recent NEOGEO BIOS file?

I'll go ahead and google it or something, thank you for your help!

If I have any further questions, i'll be sure to edit this post.

Update: ALL-FREAKIN-RIGHT! I went ahead and googled the BIOS, and BAM! got the updated version which was actually significantly bigger than my old one, (the old one was 235kb as where teh new one is 1.2Mb.)

Thank you so much for helping me fix this problem! :D

Edited by Silem

Yeah, nice to hear this sorted out. The MAME set is bigger because it separates the Neo-Geo MVS (Arcade) BIOS and the Neo-Geo AES (Home console) BIOS into separate files, not to mention their regional (EU, US, JP) flavors. I find it a bit strange considering that one can freely set the Neo-Geo BIOS to any region and either Arcade or Console mode. I guess MAME just likes to separate these things to the extreme. The old set had only one main Neo-Geo BIOS + assorted support files (sfix, lo-lo, etc.)