The Dreamcast's 10 Year Anniversary

VT-Vincent

Tomorrow, 9/9/09 will be the 10 year anniversary of the Sega Dreamcast's launch. For me, this console holds a special place in my collection for introducing me to many firsts. I was one of the people that pre-ordered it at launch and it was quite an exciting time, it was the first foray in to the 6th generation of console gaming. I remember being blown away by the graphics of Sonic Adventure and the unbelievable clarity through my VGA box. I also remember my first experience with IRC on the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast also was the catalyst for my first entrance into the world of web design which I still continue in till this day.

I, like most people was devastated at the console's early death in 2001 and ultimately, the effective death of Sega. Of course Sega technically still exists, but I think most people can agree that it exists in a somewhat shallow form and it will never be the same as it was back then.

What fond memories of the good ol' Dreamcast do you guys have?

No matter what anyone says about this beloved system. Without this, we wouldn't have everything we have today in video games. Online play, game community hub within the system, D.L.Content, Chu Chu Rocket amirite.gif

9/9/99 - 9/9/09 Happy 10th Anniversary Dreamcast!

Heh, I was playing a game today and when I went to save I noticed the date was 09.09.09, I shot up into the air from my couch and screamed DREAMCAST!!!! at the top of my lungs. I guess my brain thought it was the launch day of Dreamcast all over again for a second. Then I realized there was already one in front of me. That would have been fun. So much disappointment followed.

It's still thinking...

the DC was the only system I ever pre-ordered and attended a midnight release for. I remember I traded like 25 PS1 games to finish the payment.

First console I ever burned my own games for. First console I ever emulated Mega Drive on. First console I ever downloaded hacked savegames for, first console I ever had two of, coz one broke. Only console along with the xbox that I will keep replacing if it ever breaks. I think I'll go play Confidential Mission with two lightguns.

It feels longer than 10 years to me..

I remember being excited about it and having to sell it a few weeks after I bought it because my parents used all the food money on drugs.

I was so pissed.