What programs leave behind

The-Ice-Man

Exactly. Publishers are wasting their time with DRM, it just encourages piracy. But what's worse is the way that they're acting like hackers making software that installs secretly and can't be removed without advanced measures. Securom installed without my knowledge at all, started invisibly every time windows starts, did not have an entry in add/remove programs, made registry keys with null values so they couldn't be removed in regedit without a special tool, and made files with invalid filenames so they could not be removed normally in explorer. All the exact behaviour of spyware/malware.

Edited by The-Ice-Man

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that spyware-like behavior is unacceptable for DRM, but I am willing to put up with a reasonable level of DRM when it is warranted. A good example would be the DRM system Adobe uses on all of their CS4 products. Basically, it needs to activate when installed (which can be done on up to 2 computers) and when the activation succeeds, it writes the activation data to the boot sector. They include a built-in deactivation utility which allows you to move the installation to another computer, which I use whenever making any major changes to the computer as a safety precaution.

It's more invasive than I'd like, but it doesn't cause any problems and I do see the need for it. Unfortunately, Adobe's software is among the most pirated next to Windows itself. I'm also willing to accept it since they provide the customer with a valid method to deactivate the software when needed.

Yeah and if you want to play the game online your SOL because cracks don't usually work online :/

Securom actually released something called the Securom Removal Tool that works. Keep in mind it has been updated a couple times and the first couple versions didn't work all that well so you might find a lot of posts about that while looking for it. I can confirm it's legit and it won't just add more DRM :lol:

The reason you had it and didn't know it is probably because you accidentally ran a securom executable. See if you remove the DRM, and you launch the game, it will quickly re-install it without saying anything. Cracked .exes don't do this though.

Yeah and if you want to play the game online your SOL because cracks don't usually work online :/

Depends on the game, really and how rigorously game servers scan for modified executables. Unreal Tournament 2004 for example has a patch that enables online play even with an cracked copy of the game.

Then again, UT2004 is quite an old game, and AFAIK, most PC games with online components these days fall under the Games for Windows [Live whatever] brand.

for some apps, it can be nearly impossible

for example, the more recent versions of Directory Opus will create well-hidden registry keys of blacklisted serials and registration info. Oh yes, every single blacklisted key. You might just have to explore the registry yourself.

I hate the registry. Who's stupid idea was it?

Well that should be easy. Find one of the blacklisted keys and then search for that instead of the actual registry entry title :P

easier said than done

You can delete the entire blacklist from the registry, but the app dials home on a daily basis. So, unless you're using a firewall to block it from accessing the internet, there's going to be a problem.

It's a great app, but I wouldn't pay $73 for it.