omg what a dilemma

Gryph

Let me start out by saying let's not make this into a flame war. I don't want to read baseless accusations and fan boy behavior. Rational thinking only in this thread!

So I just bought a 50" plasma TV today and now I'm considering a console to get. I'm having a hard time choosing between which one to spend $300 on. :)

PS3 Slim

Pros:

It's a Blu-ray player too

Lots of good media center capabilities. I'm mainly going to be using it for media center stuff like watching movies, tv shows, listening to music. Gaming is more secondary.

It looks sexy. The hardware looks good to me and I much prefer the XMB.

It's much quieter.

I haven't read about too many quality issues with it.

I'm more interested in the PS3 exclusives like God of War, The Last Guardian, Uncharted.

Cons:

Online gaming isn't as organized.

No BC. I would love to play the old PS2 games I missed out on.

I don't like the controller too much.

XBOX 360 Elite

Pros:

The multiplatform games seem to look better on XBOX.

Better controller.

Better online, though not free but still worth it.

NETFLIX STREAMING out of the box!!!! omg this is a big one

Most of you guys seem to have 360s so I'll be able to play with you.

More FPS type games though I'm not into Halo or Gears of War.

Cons:

Loud as fuck. Though I know there are some quieter ones too but it seems to be a mixed bag.

Ugly as fuck. I don't like the way the hardware or NXE look.

Unreliable from what I read.

Not a Blu-ray player.

I'm torn. :( Help me untear.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know what I'm gonna say,

360 dude! (bill and ted Voice)

you can set up a nice media center with the 360 if you network it to Vista. it can be bothersome at times though.

Online gaming is usually very good on the 360, and there is ALWAYS someone from 1emu online it seems.

This is a tough one. I was in pretty much the same boat earlier this year when Circuit City went out of business. I worked there and I had the opportunity to work the going out of business sale. We had both the PS3 and the 360 in stock at 30% off and of course, I had both of them starring me down every day. There was no question I would end up buying one, but it was just a question of which.

I ended up choosing the 360 for the following reasons:

- Microsoft's warranty is quite good and the reliability reports for the later units seem to be improving.

- Microsoft's Marketplaces - There's a huge library of downloadable content (demos, full games, etc.) and their extensive movie library, most of which is in HD made up for the lack of Blu-ray. It actually worked out better for me since I prefer to rent most movies.

- Most of the games I'm interested in are available on both platforms, and Final Fantasy XIII's dual-release sealed the deal for me.

- Online gaming is much more organized and thought out on the 360.

In the end, I don't regret my choice, it has actually worked out quite well. I know that down the road though, there's a good chance I'll probably own both consoles at some point. The only issue I do take with the system is the noise problem. I actually run a media center right behind my TV constantly for my iTunes content and my emulators and it's actually quieter than the 360. :)

Honestly though, I don't think you can really go wrong with either system.

Personally I see the Blu-Ray player touting of the PS3 to be a CON. I don't care for it, it's a gaming system, and I shouldn't have to pay for it...a sizeable portion of the cost is due to it. Price much negligible on this choice, but I wouldn't pay for a 360 Elite either...and I didn't, been a ripoff over the Pro since it came out.

Game library...360

Online Play...360

Sure theres PS3 games I want to play, and the thing has built in WiFi...but like the Blu-Ray, I don't wanna pay for it so cut it out and save me some $. Theres no need for WiFi on a device that is normally NEVER moved, wireless routers come with wired ports for a reason, both mine sit behind all my stationary gear.

btw how WOULD you hear about quality issues with the Slim? Is it even out yet? If it is...how longs it been out? A few days?

I LOVE my PS3 and don't give a crap about blu-ray. I hardly ever use it.

Online gaming could use some improvements but I'm happy with it regardless.

I like the controller better as well than the 360's. I don't want anything too bulky and 360's is definitely that for me. I promised myself I wouldn't go bigger than Nintendo 64's controllers.

I used to regret having one because of limited games but they're catching up with some great ones and I'm just as happy as I could be. I find the graphics in a few games in comparison to the 360's is better.

They're both good systems but if I had the opportunity to trade it in for a 360, I wouldn't do it.

But that's just me.

If you can bother paying for the Live! service atm, then get the 360. Otherwise just grab the Ps3 since it's really not all that different(minus a few exclusives, and if those exclusives are the reason you DO want one system over another, then grab it for the exclusives!).

Edit: Imo, your better off with the Ps3.

O, and if you bought a Sony Bravia, Netflex has something setup for those T.V sets similar to that of the X360.

Both dude. x

Eventually. :) I'll see if I can sell my body to make the extra cash.

you know what I'm gonna say,

360 dude! (bill and ted Voice)

you can set up a nice media center with the 360 if you network it to Vista. it can be bothersome at times though.

Online gaming is usually very good on the 360, and there is ALWAYS someone from 1emu online it seems.

I will be getting Windows 7 so that's a good possibility. Online gaming is probably the biggest draw of the 360. But I'm just not sure how much time I'll have for that. I might get a 360 later this year or early next year because my next semester is pretty relaxed so I'll have time to fuck around. I haven't been around much for a reason and these next two months will be hellish. I look forward to playing with you.

This is a tough one. I was in pretty much the same boat earlier this year when Circuit City went out of business. I worked there and I had the opportunity to work the going out of business sale. We had both the PS3 and the 360 in stock at 30% off and of course, I had both of them starring me down every day. There was no question I would end up buying one, but it was just a question of which.

I ended up choosing the 360 for the following reasons:

- Microsoft's warranty is quite good and the reliability reports for the later units seem to be improving.

- Microsoft's Marketplaces - There's a huge library of downloadable content (demos, full games, etc.) and their extensive movie library, most of which is in HD made up for the lack of Blu-ray. It actually worked out better for me since I prefer to rent most movies.

- Most of the games I'm interested in are available on both platforms, and Final Fantasy XIII's dual-release sealed the deal for me.

- Online gaming is much more organized and thought out on the 360.

In the end, I don't regret my choice, it has actually worked out quite well. I know that down the road though, there's a good chance I'll probably own both consoles at some point. The only issue I do take with the system is the noise problem. I actually run a media center right behind my TV constantly for my iTunes content and my emulators and it's actually quieter than the 360. :)

Honestly though, I don't think you can really go wrong with either system.

Great post. Those are the reasons the 360 is still fighting for my attention! But I think right now with school gaming will be less of a priority and most it will be movies and TV since it's shorter bits of entertainment I can have people over for.

Also, nice to meet you!

The PS3 Slim. To balance this thread a little.

Well then it's settled. :(

Personally I see the Blu-Ray player touting of the PS3 to be a CON. I don't care for it, it's a gaming system, and I shouldn't have to pay for it...a sizeable portion of the cost is due to it. Price much negligible on this choice, but I wouldn't pay for a 360 Elite either...and I didn't, been a ripoff over the Pro since it came out.

Game library...360

Online Play...360

Sure theres PS3 games I want to play, and the thing has built in WiFi...but like the Blu-Ray, I don't wanna pay for it so cut it out and save me some $. Theres no need for WiFi on a device that is normally NEVER moved, wireless routers come with wired ports for a reason, both mine sit behind all my stationary gear.

btw how WOULD you hear about quality issues with the Slim? Is it even out yet? If it is...how longs it been out? A few days?

I meant quality issues of the PS3, not slim. I don't expect there to be much of a difference. But I do care for blu-ray so it's only a plus for me. If the system was super expensive like before then I would be apprehensive about paying extra for blu-ray but both systems are the same price now.

If you can bother paying for the Live! service atm, then get the 360. Otherwise just grab the Ps3 since it's really not all that different(minus a few exclusives, and if those exclusives are the reason you DO want one system over another, then grab it for the exclusives!).

Edit: Imo, your better off with the Ps3.

O, and if you bought a Sony Bravia, Netflex has something setup for those T.V sets similar to that of the X360.

I don't mind paying for Live. I think the service you get from Live is definitely worth the cost and you can get it cheap on amazon. I didn't get a Sony, I got a Panasonic. Here's some pics of the set up.

Old TV: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/387313...1dbb68389_b.jpg

New one: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/387235...5b67f324f_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/387314...6905d02cf_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/387235...b78075ec9_b.jpg

I would definitely purchase the XBOX 360. The XBOX Live service is wonderful and there are so many players online! I've read stories of people having difficulty finding other players to play on PSN.

Also, why do you want a Blu-ray player? Purchase a brand new XBOX 360 HD-DVD player for $30 online and they have a ton of movies for around $2-$5 on Amazon, iNetVideo.com, and other sites. The quality of the movies are the same as Blu-ray and you'll save a hell of a lot money. Although unsupported now by Microsoft, the HD-DVD player still works well with very little problems on the 360. I believe it also up-converts regular DVD movies. There is one thing to note though and that if you hook up through HDMI, which I suspect you will do, it won't work correctly. It only works at optimum quality through the VGA output connected to the XBOX 360 (which still looks excellent) at this time. But hey, another option is you can still buy the HD-DVD player, hook it up to your PC, and output at high-def (HDMI, DVI, etc.) to your TV if it's close enough to the computer.