leeching off someone's wireless internet

2eyez

I don't have any wireless equipment myself, but a friend brought over a computer with

a wireless card in it, and there was an unprotected system nearby. But the signal strength

was very weak and we only managed to get the google home page up once.

But if I was in your lucky situation I'd abuse it too!

I know a guy who is so hardcore about stealing internet he will drive around and park infront of people's houses to get free internet.

I've leached peoples wifi before but only for short periods of time. for instance I was updating my nephew's Wii with the latest hacks and didn't want to go through putting my wireless key into it so just stole the neighbors internet to do the updates.

I abused it through the night! It was left on. Of course, "with great power, comes great responsibilities". I"ll abuse it nicely, since this is happening at my buddy's home. So whenever I'm over, it's leeching time. Funny thing is, I accidentally stumble onto this. My buddy has wireless connection and I was trying to connect my PSP and I did a scan and found this holy grail.

I know a guy who is so hardcore about stealing internet he will drive around and park infront of people's houses to get free internet.

I've leached peoples wifi before but only for short periods of time. for instance I was updating my nephew's Wii with the latest hacks and didn't want to go through putting my wireless key into it so just stole the neighbors internet to do the updates.

Yeah cause the money spent in gas CERTAINLY saves his cheap ass the money spent on his own. Your buddy's a bonehead...lol

I like wires. Wires won't let you down. Unless someone cuts them.

Yeah cause the money spent in gas CERTAINLY saves his cheap ass the money spent on his own. Your buddy's a bonehead...lol

Actually this is quite common. It is called Wardriving. What you do is drive around with a laptop that has a good wireless card and if you want to get real fancy GPS. You just drive around everywhere close and you can build a map of all the wireless connections and their details (encryption/speed/etc.) Once you know where they all are you can end up spending less on gas than you would on internet by planning it out right. If you are smart enough you can also use this information to build a suitable antenna to get access to it from your house. I used to be really into this. The most powerful antennae I ever built could pick up wifi in one specific direction for about 10 miles. You can build cheap ones out of pringles cans and stuff that go pretty damn far as well. To go this far you usually can't go very wide though, which is why you need to know where they are in advance so you can pick the best ones. Combine this with connection teaming in linux/multiple wireless cards and you can set yourself up with something even faster than a T3 line in your house for free. For awhile I was teaming 4X20mbit connections (common in my area) for 80mbit. I could have even done more (Technically up to 12 connections because of all my PCI/USB slots+ I could add more via PCI-E I bet, but a 12X20 for 240mbit connection would probably be enough lol assuming I could get a good signal on 12) People get way insane over this stuff, I have seen people paint their houses with a special paint so wifi won't go out or in the house. A friend of a friend was involved in shooting WiFi 125 miles at Defcon a few years back, and I believe I read someone shot it across the entire country or was at least attempting to.

Keep in mind that using someone else's internet is HIGHLY ILLEGAL. If they catch you and report you it's almost as bad as reading someone else's mail if not just as bad. But it's pretty unlikely, who stares at their router logs all the time? The average user doesn't even know what a router log is. Just stay off networks owned by companies. Also leech at night so they don't call the ISP asking why their internet is slow.

Combine this with connection teaming in linux/multiple wireless cards and you can set yourself up with something even faster than a T3 line in your house for free. For awhile I was teaming 4X20mbit connections (common in my area) for 80mbit.

so this is possible, I was wondering about that. is it possible in windows XP?

I remember back in the day the hard core techies would 'shotgun' two 56k modems for a 112k connection. but it required 2 modems, 2 phone lines, and 2 isp logins. not very cost effective back in the dark ages. but with all the open wifi signals around it this could be an interesting 'test'. ;)

haha! yeah modem teaming I remember a lot of people on DC++ used to do that. As far as I know there is no way to do it in windows, I don't know why, I haven't even been able to find a third party app for it. It seems like something people would be more interested in but I guess not because like you said, if done legally it's still not very cheap. I guess the legal way to do it is to get a Cable and a DSL line because I don't think you can have multiple connections from one service going down one line. I know my ISP offers extra IP addresses for extra money but I don't think you get extra bandwidth just an IP. You still need separate NICs/Wireless Cards for connection teaming though.