I just received a disturbing letter in the mail

Fatal Rose

Don't use tor. Tor isn't meant for p2p, and you'll just piss people off by doing that. Maybe in a few years, using tor for p2p will be doable, but right now, you are NOT the target audience.

Like several people said above, ease off for a bit. I got 2 take-down notices back in 04, and the day I got the first one in the mail, the download that trigged the 2nd one was started. You definitely want to wait 2-3 weeks before doing much else, just to make sure no more take down notices are in the pipeline. Read the notice carefully, and figure out what tracker you were using when you got the notice. Never go to that tracker again.

Beyond that, move to using private trackers/other means of downloading material (Release sites that use rapidshit and megaupload are nice). Also, grab PeerGuardian and make sure you update the list constantly. You can play around a bit with your BitTorrent client and find the IP addresses for all the people you're connected to. Nailing you is probably as simple as looking at that list, doing a whois, and contacting the ISP (With documentation, of course).

Last, sudden changes in ownership or even odd downtime can be cause for concern. They probably haven't been taken over by the man, but you can never be too careful these days. Remember, there is no such thing as paranoia.

Edited by Jiggs

Be safe and switch to newsgroups. Yes they cost but it is a small price to pay. You can get unlimited access to the same as torrents for just 11 a month. Take it from someone who got caught on DC and torrents and did not pay heed to the warning. In the end it cost me 5 grand.

Oh and on a side note Jiggs is this the Jiggs from the DC days?

I've been seriously thinking of going back to usenet lately.

this kind of thing along with trackers going 'legit' or down all together has got me jumpy.

They seem to be trying to crack down on piracy these days. I hardly use torrents, I use emule. Can they trace that?

Yeah they can but I think there is some kind of encryption, I haven't used it in years so I don't really remember how well it works or anything.

Usenet is the shit though it's so fast and has everything you could want. It's like the ultimate video/everything else on demand service, I canceled cable. Usenet is cheaper and better than cable. If you want the link for the 11 dollars a month plan google it and it should be easy to find or I can PM you the link. If you don't plan on downloading that much sometimes the block accounts are a better deal where you pay a certain amount of money for a certain amount of GB that never expires and once it's used up it's gone and you can buy another one or whatever.

Be safe and switch to newsgroups. Yes they cost but it is a small price to pay. You can get unlimited access to the same as torrents for just 11 a month. Take it from someone who got caught on DC and torrents and did not pay heed to the warning. In the end it cost me 5 grand.

Oh and on a side note Jiggs is this the Jiggs from the DC days?

Yeah, it's me. Didn't you run JEG back in the day? That whole time period is a blur. Who else from back then is still around? I saw Weirdy lurking around the other day, and I can only assume that the current iceman is not the same one we came up with.

To stay on-topic: Another good thing that everybody missed (In the case of movies) is going to the rental store and getting them. If it's some place like Hollywood Video that has "guaranteed in stock" new releases, you can even get it for free if they run out. There's also your local library, assuming you're not in some podunk town whose library only carries books. I know, it's not as easy as downloading, and you can't brag about having it 2-3 weeks before the release date, but it's a hell of a lot safer to rent and rip.

iceman: Basically anything can be traced. Your best bet is probably to live on a hill overlooking a large metropolitan area, and use a pringles can (an actual direction antenna would rock, but pringles cans earn you street cred) to steal someone's wifi just for your warez needs. I'm joking, but it's at least theoretically possible.

Edited by Jiggs

I'm a Utorrent gal.

It's easy and safer.

iceman: Basically anything can be traced. Your best bet is probably to live on a hill overlooking a large metropolitan area, and use a pringles can (an actual direction antenna would rock, but pringles cans earn you street cred) to steal someone's wifi just for your warez needs. I'm joking, but it's at least theoretically possible.

I don't have a hill high enough. :(

I've never had any letters or emails about downloading games or music, and I don't do movies. The only thing I've had is my isp complain about me using too much bandwidth. Stupid fair use policies. We pay for unlimited usage but we're not allowed to download all day every day apparently.

I'm not whoever you mentioned before by the way.