[07/29/09] Kings Of Fighters XII

Kings of Fighter XII

SNK(Playmore)

Xbox360, PS3, Arcade

TGS-07-Scans-SNK-Playmore-2.jpg

So the new Kof is out and I actually got it right when it arrived at stores. So we start out with the basics, the title is on its 12th installment (by number at least) and it may as well have started back to one because it's nearly a completely new game. However one would argue after doing a game so many times one must change some things and I agree but well... lets just say most of their experiments didn't turn out so well, but somehow it doesn't take away from it being fun, or maybe i'm just too dedicated to kof. A LOT has changed since the last 2d kof game. Its basically a completely NEW system (not addons to the old system).

attachment.jpg

So let's start off with da baddie/goodie list...

Cons:

-No Storyline

Simple Arcade, Trial, VS and online which seems to be the main focus when the playmore team were making it.

-No preset teams

Some teams are missing their third player so no teams are setup, which means you're kinda missing that bundle pack that you always get in the other games but then again, when playing others they rarely pick all three people on da same team.

-Nearly every character aside from the "main" ones have 4 or 5 moves taken away. ex:Clark on has ONE grab! WTF!

-About 95% of the roster have only one DM, and the same DM but a more damaging one that looks exactly the same.

-Most of your fav chars look like they went through steroids or decided to starve themselves.

-Roster is a sausage fest, only 3 girls (no mai).

-Grabs have near no proximity, so your slow huggers are harder to use against fast fighters.

-English is HORRIBLE

-Got a system kinda like the ultra system on SFIV that even if you get smacked around, u can come back through ur weakness.

-ITs a lil Slower than your previous versions.(then again maybe its just the heavy chars who r slower.)

-it says 6 players but it's actually 1on1 in a room up to 6 people so the other 4 people will have to wait for 6 rnds to finish instead of leaving and making their own room. Even the interview with the designer he was kinda speechless as far as when he was asked "Well the room is still basically 1on1 then right?" The guy shook his head and kinda swayed the question away.

Pros:

-Normal 360 pad actually works better on here.

-Pretty new look

-Leona's new outfit is kinda sexy (i got a thing for chick tanktops.....weird)

-First online play (although I could easily go 2k2/98 on mame)

-Its still addictive

It looked like they spent so much time on da graphics that they got tired half way, because if each char setup as detailed as Ash's, then each character would have a lot to bring to the da table. But powerhouse chars like Ralf, have only 2 moves which is something i'm not too used to. Even the drunken guy, has basically no moves that involve drunken movements. The moves he does in "drunken state?" are da same moves he can do normally so its like|????/ Overall I still catch myself wasting a few hours so i still find it entertaining, but I don't recommend switching back and forth with ur previous games or you'll become more critical of what was missing from the older ones. The only thing that can salvage this more is dlc characters. But for a grappler like me, it seems our kind got screwed....Raiden....sigh....7531620090223_172237_3_big.jpg

Also the fire affects r trash that really don't blend into the game. Ash's green fire and thunder affects work well but anything dealing with explosions or fire looks like it a copy and paste from a real one and spat into the game.

Oh and that this real annoying stage where you're at this cult and people are bowing down but they're screaming and moaning which is very loud and very annoying. The backgrounds are crappy, its just looping animations and when you win or lose the animation speeds up really fast which just looks disgustingly lazy. Gameplay is kinda weird since if u being rushed, is nearly hard to counter a person mashing lp's and lk's, luckily the counter system once master will put an end to mashers. The ultra counter system i spoke basically allows u to unleash a series of combos and then lets u finish with a super or special or u can just finish it anyway u want. This gives grapplers a lil help since throws excluding raidens have NO RANGE. Timing and priority will have be relearned cuz even the uppers aren't as uber as they were so don't expect that to save u when waking up every time.

Sound- 2[nice and loud but the bgm sucks horribly, awful dubbing EX: LOUND WAN! WEADY....WIGHT! ]

Graphics- 5[Well Of course the graphics are awesome for 2D]

Gameplay- 3[good fighting game but kof veterans may be angered...many times.]

Controls- 5[No need for another pad, reg controller should do just fine, or arcade stick dat game!]

Not sure how the math supposed to work with overall score but 1 to 5.

Game Score - 4

Overall this baby is a solid deal for your fighting game collection. Even with da many cons i stated i still love (how weird) and I recommend it, but just remember, forget everything u learned from da previous ones because it's time to relearn everything! Also there is already speak of Mai and K' coming out for dlc. So yay! Also visit the Official site u can see many other chars grayed out behind the main kofxii chars such as Chang, Maxima, Krauser and Mary. But those could be just random pics so these are just rumours! So go out and buy it and set up a match with me and my huggers!

Kings of Fighters Xii received Shoma's Sexy Approval! :P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of characters is a real letdown. If you ask me, since there's no story to this, there should have been every character from the previous games. But it's ten times quicker for game makers to knock up 3D models these days then to draw 2D sprites. I hate this. There's much more character to a hand drawn sprite. The feeling and passion of an animation artist goes into it. But the fact of the matter is, a company like SNK simply won't pay artists for the kind of hours that more characters would take. I'd play this if it was free, but I wouldn't buy it.

Yeah no matter how u look at it, it just seems like they ran out of either time, resources or money due to whole handdrawn thing.

It lacked too many small nuds that were in previous games, like mutiple victory animations, or intro animaitions when facing a certain character (Yashiro!.....YO!)

And we have the character wit NO intro animation and only one victory animation. Like i said, small but important to me.

They could make a number of download packs with new characters, but to make them worth even thinking about buying they'd need at least five or more characters per pack.

Lol, i was going to write one but you beat me to it :)

Grapplers have no range?!? You serious? I have been using Goro, Clark and Raiden a lot and I swear they can grab people a step away! Well, maybe not Raiden......

Agreed with you on most of the cons and pros but I do love the background, even the Egypt one ;)

Online is horrendous at the moment. Try playing with BK just now and it is like slow mo for everything. A real bullshit.

And you say the game is slow?!? I was thinking this is fast!

The jump priority is screwed up, the super jump always take me over the opponents. need to retime this again.

I like Leona too. Although his d,u+P slash no longer has priorities, her basic combo from command move into DM is

still intact so it is alright!

Andy is a beast now with the braking!

as much as i love KOF, im not spending 60 bucks on a piece of shit fighting game that couldn't even give me some story mode w/endings, and the roster is just sooo fucking lackluster to me

they gotta add at least 6 more niggas in this game and some more hoes (like King, Vanessa, Mai) via DLC before i can co sign to this garbage

WHO'S THE BOSS?

NO MID-BOSSES?!

Lol, i was going to write one but you beat me to it :P

Grapplers have no range?!? You serious? I have been using Goro, Clark and Raiden a lot and I swear they can grab people a step away! Well, maybe not Raiden......

Agreed with you on most of the cons and pros but I do love the background, even the Egypt one :D

Online is horrendous at the moment. Try playing with BK just now and it is like slow mo for everything. A real bullshit.

The jump priority is screwed up, the super jump always take me over the opponents. need to retime this again.

I like Leona too. Although his d,u+P slash no longer has priorities, her basic combo from command move into DM is

I know the DMs maigcally suck the fighter in. BUt u u must hav noticed that they hvave no property like they used. I get kick out of my dm soo many times!

Lol, i was going to write one but you beat me to it :P

Agreed with you on most of the cons and pros but I do love the background, even the Egypt one :D

I know the DMs maigcally suck the fighter in. BUt u u must hav noticed that they hvave no property like they used. I get kick out of my dm soo many times!

Yeah, DM invicibility is gone. you can get sweep out from the DM start up. that is frustrating. But that did not deter me from not using them :D

BTW, do you know that you can buffer your moves? Example: let say you are doing hcb,f+P for Goro. You can do a hcb,f then hold f to move forward one step then press P. You will still grab the person! This applies to any characters in the game. Way to close u the distance.

It still seems a bit slowr to me, mayb it just online, cuz dats all ive been playing 1 sitting of offline.

ANyway, hit me up and lets hag a hug match to da death