Walkthrough for DAT files

Shibathedog

Is there one? Specifically for CoinOPS? (although I don't know why it would make a difference) I used to be able to do this (for some neo geo emulator anyway) but apparently I did something wrong. Clrmamepro took about 5 hours to build a bunch of roms that didn't work, hooray! I tried Romcenter but I can't find the option to export roms to a separate directory anywhere, only verify, maybe mine was messed up.

I'm guessing what I did wrong was make split sets instead of a merged one because I ended up with about 5000 roms, Does that make any sense? and when it says stuff like:

Issue: Possible wrong nodump definition found

A valid checksum for it within its parent/clone relationship was found though.

Insert found checksum instead of using the 'nodump'?

and

Can't merge set due to equal names for different ROM hashes

Press yes to remove parent/clone relationship or no to force split-merge mode.

What should I select?

yeah those are the dats I used, I used the Full Dat instead of the top games one or whatever it was. I just made a new set that is merged and I clicked YES to the error messages I posted and it has about 3000 roms now which is still way more than my R1 which has around 1000. Does that sound like it's right this time? I couldn't even upload the last one because there was too many roms in one folder for the filesystem I guess.

Oh okay so the recommended games are all the tested and confirmed games and the full set includes some that are kind of like a work in progress, I thought the recommended was just the most popular ones.

So before I make this new set what should I select for those errors (or will I not get them because it is a different DAT file?) and should I do merged or split sets?

Tried it again with the recommended DAT and still no luck.

It seems to have built all the sets, but not included all the files in each set, A lot of games get missing files errors. I did not get any errors about the DAT file though like last time. It would only let me select Non-Merged sets and not Split or Merged. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have a 100% verified and complete .133 romset here am I supposed to be using an older one?

EDIT: Just double checked everything, I think maybe the DAT is messed up? Checking all my roms with the mame exe as a dat says everything is correct besides CHDs that I don't have, If I check those same roms with the DAT from CoinOPS it says files are missing (and a bunch of unneeded files which makes sense) and I checked a few of the zips manually and they are indeed not there, so wtf is going on?

So is this really complicated and you guys can't figure it out or what? It seems to me that dealing with DAT files would be something you guys do quite often/understand quite well and the answer to my question would be very simple so I cannot help but feel ignored.

Is there one? Specifically for CoinOPS? (although I don't know why it would make a difference) I used to be able to do this (for some neo geo emulator anyway) but apparently I did something wrong. Clrmamepro took about 5 hours to build a bunch of roms that didn't work, hooray! I tried Romcenter but I can't find the option to export roms to a separate directory anywhere, only verify, maybe mine was messed up.

I never got to CLRmamepro, I just don't like the way it's designed. But I'm used to Romcenter.

And I can tell you that to export roms, you have to select all the good roms (displayed when the green zip icon is active) then click on the right mouse buttons and in the menu chose "operations > move files to..." (should sound like this as mine is in french, just in case it's "opérations > déplacer les fichiers dans...). You can also find these commands in the "ROMS" menu at the top of the screen.

You can also repair your roms. Click the yellow zip icon, then select all the listed roms, right click and chose repair on the menu.

I have a 100% verified and complete .133 romset here am I supposed to be using an older one?

Yes your are. As 0.133 roms are different and Coinops requires much older roms. It's Mame 0.8x or something...

Maybe you should try FBAXX 1.29 which uses latest romset (and also recognizes my analogic arcade stick and that's veeeery nice).

So is this really complicated and you guys can't figure it out or what? It seems to me that dealing with DAT files would be something you guys do quite often/understand quite well and the answer to my question would be very simple so I cannot help but feel ignored.

Yes it is complicated. It's slow, messy and boring. Better browse the web. That's what I did.

NB: And don't forget to rescan your roms in Coinops. Just in case...

Edited by waal

He has a point about FBA, if you've already got a MAME v0.133 romset then 99% of them will work in FBA without any fixing in Romcenter. The ones supported by FBA that is. Obviously if you're wanting to play games that CoinOps supports and FBA doesn't then you'll have to hunt down old MAME romsets and use Romcenter to piece together a set that will work with CoinOps. This will be hard as most MAME sites only carry up to date roms. This is the main argument for why CoinOps should be updated to the latest romsets. This will never happen though as BP has said he doesn't want to do it. You'll probably be much better off to just ask someone to link you to a full CoinOps romset.

Ah okay, I've made sense of everything now, Thank you very much for your assistance. I think what I'm going to do is switch back to FBA then because I don't want to hunt down an old romset that is probably going to take forever to download. Even if I did get this romset, it would be pretty large and I would have to keep it around just for this purpose, not really worth it IMO. Like I said I already have the latest set which I always keep up to date taking up space. So I guess FBA gets added to my list of awesome bonuses to maintaining an up to date romset. I feel like they update the sets for a reason too.

I've got Coinops Ignite R1 on there that works, I'll just leave that on there in addition to FBA in case I need it for something, but I dunno it looks like they both support all the titles I would insist on.

For CoinOps there's the old BAED collection that was build for MameDOX (or something like that). I used it many years ago and it was a mess because of too many crappy-buggy games and ugly interface. That's why today's Coinops with it's "best of" collection and light design gives me satisfaction. Too bad the drivers are old but many tried to update them in the past and have quit...

And for FBAXX, I built my romset based on Mame 0.133 this weekend. Piece of cake. Kenshiro did a great work updating the drivers, especially for my favorite, the Neo Geo. :(

Edited by waal