Occasional Strange noise coming from PC.

emsley

Yes replacing the fan in the existing clip would probably be easiest if possible. You may be able to screw into those fins like I was talking about but it looks like it may not hold as tight.

It does look like even though all those coolers are connected, they still have standard mounting holes, so you could remove it, but you would also need to pick up a MOSFET cooler and a SB cooler as well as the NB cooler if you where to do that.

Pretty much any of these would work for either your NB or SB, just pick one that will fit, they have all the dimensions on there. Keep in mind that the SB needs significantly less cooling than the NB so this is probably way overkill for that (just get a regular cheap heatsink somewhere with no fan): http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/pro...set_cooler.html

You would want one of these for the MOSFET, the HR-09 Type 4 is what would probably fit the best since it looks like the second row of MOSFETs has a separate cooler which you could just leave there: http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/pro...fet_cooler.html

Now Thermalright is kind of like the best of the best, so you will definitely get very good performance with these parts but I'm sure you could go with another brand like Thermaltake or Coolermaster or something that would be a lot cheaper. Oh and don't forget thermal paste, I like MX-2. It seems like anything that is better is not better by much and needs to be ordered from a specific place making it a pain. MX-2 you can get nearly everywhere.

Yeah we did a bit. The thread just reminded me of the awful noise my northbridge fan makes.

This has probably been answered already but it's late and I'm a lazy ass who doesn't want to read. Ever since I've pulled this computer out of it's box two years ago, I noticed that I have the loudest fan possible on a computer. It doesn't really hurt anything but it's ridiculous how loud it is. I have to turn my speakers almost all the way up to hear whatever I'm doing and I just want to know if there's any easy fix or if I should just leave it alone. It's a crappy Wal-Mart Emachines but it was free. My sister-in-law bought it for us...should I risk doing anything?

Oh shit I didn't even think of this, check out how they attached the fan to the NB in a pic in this thread!

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=32778

Sorry for resurrecting this, but I saw that and I instantly thought of this thread. You could probably do something very similar.

What a great idea. Not sure how well it would hold with the diagonal shape of my heasink but something to think about for the future. Hera if your fans are really bothering you and you have the money to replace them then I'd say it's worth doing. QuietPC sells PC stuff specifically designed to be quiet. If you're lucky your fans will all be fixed standardly with screws so you can just find fans of the same size and swap them out. The fan section there has tables telling you how many decibels they are and how fast they spin which is helpful. While you want as quiet a fan as possible it's usually important not to replace a fast spinning fan with a slower one. If it’s your actual CPU cooler that’s the noisemaker then you’ve got tonnes of options, even up to a completely fanless cooler, depending on how much space you have.