Look what i got for myself here...:p

L.S.D

The compatability tool runs at 27 fps on my pc. =\

YUK

mwahahahaha *points at sig*

I play the game completely maxed out @ 1600X1200 85Hz with Vsync On and have no problems maintaining a steady 85 FPS. I think I had to set the frame rate to variable as well to avoid being stuck at 60. If I turn Vsync off and leave framerate at variable it becomes unplayably fast (at least the benchmark tool did) So that is my only option for more than 60 FPS (unless I raise the refresh rate more I guess) It looks loads better than the 360 version too :Thumbsright:

I wonder if this is putting me at a disadvantage though, maybe I should keep that 60FPS cap on or the game is going faster than it should making it harder.

I was under the assumption the faster Frames Per Second was only for graphics, not gameplay... am I mistaken?!?!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

street fighter is very frame dependent. a fireball is X frames, a standing fierce is x frames.

a game like that can't drop or add frames. pro street fighter players can tell you exactly how many frames are in a dragon punch and who has frame advantage in any given situation.

allowing the game to drop or add frames would ruin that high level timing.

street fighter is very frame dependent. a fireball is X frames, a standing fierce is x frames.

a game like that can't drop or add frames. pro street fighter players can tell you exactly how many frames are in a dragon punch and who has frame advantage in any given situation.

That is sad, games are for fun.

Usually yes, but this game works like an old DOS game apparently, instead of just rendering more frames in between each other it just renders them faster. Pretty stupid yes.

LOL I remember having to get PC killer for my dos games.

Ahhh... Indeed. I was thinking about FPS' FPS though. Yea a game like SF is a not gonna work, but I never really thought about that. You would have to re-animate the entire game lol. Add extra frames. ... it would still throw off your timing though wouldnt it... lol.

What? No that doesn't make any sense.

As long as the scene renders at the exact same speed, it does not matter how many frames there are, all it is going to do is make the motion look smoother. Sure there may be a shit ton of frames that are barely different but it is not going to mess up anyone's timing.

I guess "pro" street fighters prefer blocky motion and depend on watching it to know when to press buttons. It sounds like they could just watch current positions of characters and achieve the same thing. The blocky motion method would be easier though I guess slightly but this is getting stupidly precise and gimmicky now.

How much fun did they have when everyone switched from standard to Hi Def? Standard is about 30FPS (or less depending on where you live) where HD is 60, are they all still playing street fighter at 30FPS? Yeah have fun with that. I bet they where all freaking out because the motion was smoother and they had to relearn the whole game. Give me a break. Just memorize the damn button combos and fight, learn what counters what, stop using gimmicky tricks like halo nerds do to win the game.

No no... The animations are set to the framerate. If you did increase the framerate, it would have to just display the same frame more than once. It's not magically gonna make new frames of fireball animation, and keep the gameplay at the same speed.

I can't think of a decent way to explain it but I'll try. Have you ever animated anything in Flash? When you do you make something called keyframes, You put main animation points in keyframes, and the program is able to fill in every motion in between no matter how many frames are in between them and make it smooth.

+----------------+----------------+----------------+----------------+

Okay here is my crappy example, There is a lot missing here but it should explain the basic principle. Imagine the - means a regular frame, and a + means a keyframe. Keyframe 1 is the character standing there doing nothing. At keyframe 2 he raises his knee (you would draw it already raised), at keyframe 3 his foot is extended, at 4 he retracts foot, at 5 he retracts knee and is once again standing and doing nothing. All the dashes are generated by the program automatically. You can change the FPS at any time and it will generate more or less regular frames in between the keyframes while keeping it the same length. Higher FPS=smoother motion but bigger filesize, which is why most flash animations run at a very low FPS, to avoid having tons of regular frames.

Anyway, I see no reason that the game cannot also do this, especially since it's 3D and the models and textures are already there, it just has to create animation movements.

Well say the game moves at the same pace with higher frames. OK. There are a set amount of frames for any given motion, including fireballs. If you were to add frames t the fireballs, outside of programming or adding them in, what will tell it to use proper frames to make it look right? If a cycle is 5 frames, and you make it 10... if you were to just double the animation frames the fireball itself would appear to be cycling faster.

As for the characters... I forgot the game is 3D... (I don't really play)

Can it be possible for the game to create more "regular" frames you speak of?

Well I KNOW what your saying... but something seems, incomplete. Please no more pics lol. My original confusion was because I forgot it was 3D. I was arguing while thinking of a 2D SF game. Anyway. Isn't that gonna be reliant on how its programmed? The game engine that is?