Golden Axe the Duel added to xbox

mirsad

I love all the Golden Axe games, and one of my favourites is "Golden Axe the Duel", it came out on the sega saturn and arcades, I just recently played it in Mame pc and it runs great, even on my old computer,

Its a Sega STV game, is there any chance this game could be played on the xbox? I didn't think there would be a problem since cps3 games were emulated for xbox and run great, and this game is probably less memory intensive than cps3 games since its a smaller size.

Anyone have an idea if it would be possible? with a driver upgrade? It Would be absoultey great if it could be added to xbox collection of arcade games either in FBA or Coinops, if anyone hasn't played it before give it a go, its a great looking game.

golden_axe_the_duel.jpg

Edited by mirsad

this game is based on the stv board(sega saturn hardware)not meaning to burst your bubble but i cant see this playing on xbox mame.

I know that alot of the sega STV games are more 3D based games. But cause this game is just 2D I thought the chance of it running emulated on xbox would be easier since xbox handles 2D games pretty good, this game is no more graphically better than any of the "Samurai Showdown" games for eg, would porting this to xbox really be pushing the xbox emulation capabilities?

thanks again

Edited by mirsad

Sega Saturn emulation would require hardware on the level of an Xbox 360 for proper emulation. The sole reason it's such a bitch to emulate is cause of its dual-processor, and there are like only two game consoles in existence that ever went down this road (PS3 being the other).

I too would love to see this on xbox, but it isn't even properly emulated on PC MAME yet. It's one of the many 'the video/audio emuation isn't 100% accurate' ones. While that usually doesn't mean much it does on this coz the sound stutters.

Sega Saturn emulation would require hardware on the level of an Xbox 360 for proper emulation. The sole reason it's such a bitch to emulate is cause of its dual-processor, and there are like only two game consoles in existence that ever went down this road (PS3 being the other).

Triple cpus. :) Two SH2s (master & slave config) and a Motorola 68k. Processing work could be offloaded to the 68k, so it wasn't just a dedicated (dumb) sound cpu like the z80 in NeoGeo/CPS/etc. Not only that, those CPUs are clocked fairly fast -- 28mhz + 28mhz + ~11.5mhz.

Also, the don't forget the Atari Jaguar (Two custom "tom + jerry" and a 68k) or the Sega Cd or the Sega 32x. :P

this game is based on the stv board(sega saturn hardware)not meaning to burst your bubble but i cant see this playing on xbox mame.

I know that alot of the sega STV games are more 3D based games. But cause this game is just 2D I thought the chance of it running emulated on xbox would be easier since xbox handles 2D games pretty good, this game is no more graphically better than any of the "Samurai Showdown" games for eg, would porting this to xbox really be pushing the xbox emulation capabilities?

thanks again

The 2D hardware stuff in the saturn (VDP) is slow as it is, add in three fairly fast cpus, some funky sound hardware, and a 3D processor and you're talking about some very slow stuff. I'm not saying it's impossible to emulate on the xbox, but you'd need some very talented/dedicated people to get something like that up and running and at a reasonable speed.

Probably easier to pick up a Saturn if you don't already have one and find the game on ebay or in a second hand shop.

• 2 weeks later...