Torrent over ftp/http!?

Shoma

Okay, so all my friend at work say dont use lime wire(duh) but then they went on to say use utorrent becuase torrents are "super fast".

NOw i may not be the best torrent user but I have never EVER went beyond 40kbps! And when id/l fomr a site i can go as far 500/600kbps easily! So i looked around and they say, hey open your ports, so i did, but utorrent port checker says, hey its still not open.

Not only that i get this seed report on my list for each file

for ex:

seeds 7(32)

does this mean, how many seeds there is and how many im actually connected to or what?

any pirate worth his salt would choose newsgroups if at all possible.

torrents are only fast if everyone is seeding. the only way every one seeds is on a private tracker. so hence you need to get on a private tracker.

7(32) means there are 32 seeders but only 7 of them are connected to you.

Now if each of those seeds is upping at 40k, that makes 280k download for you.

Torrents always work best when there's lots of ppl seeding.

I use torrents when I need to, sometimes get better speeds than emule, but mostly the things I want have no seeds.

7(32) means there are 32 seeders but only 7 of them are connected to you.

Now if each of those seeds is upping at 40k, that makes 280k download for you.

Torrents always work best when there's lots of ppl seeding.

so how do i get all the seeds? or is that my limit?

Out of 32 seeders it is almost impossible to connect to them all at any given time for one reason or another. I'd be happy enough with 50-75%. Anyway, it only takes you to make a connection with 1 person with a good upload speed to max your connection out, quality over quantity!

Also, enable DHT if it isn't already, that will definitely help open things up. Port forwarding I have no clue about I'm afraid. Good luck!

Your torrent client might also have some caps on maximum simultaneous connections. Though having said cap set too high or too slow can have an adverse effect on the client/protocol itself; it should be adjusted based on your connection. But yeah, it's rare to see every seeder connected to you. It has to do with the tracker itself and the design of the BT protocol.

You hardly ever need every single seed connection anyway.

Did you uncheck "Randomize port each start"? If not, the port will be changed EVERY time uTorrent starts.

Set a port (I use 62233 for example), uncheck that and make sure it's open for both TCP AND UDP in your firewall.