Freedom or jail, clips inserted, a baby's bein born

Same time my man is murdered, the beginning and end

As far as rap go, it's only natural, I explain

My plateau, and also, what defines my name

First it was Nasty, but times have changed

Ask me now, I'm the artist, but hardcore, my science for pain

I spent time in the game, kept my mind on fame

Saw fiends shoot up, and do lines of cocaine

Saw my close friends shot, flatline am I sane?

That depends, carry Mac-10's to practice my aim

On rooftops, tape cd covers to trees

Line the barrel up with your weak picture then squeeze

Street scriptures for lost souls, in the crossroads

To the corner thugs hustlin for cars that cost dough

To the big dogs livin large, takin it light

Pushin big toys, gettin nice, enjoyin your life

is what you make it, suicide, few try to take it

Belt tied around they neck in jail cells naked

Heaven and hell, rap legend, presence is felt

And of course N - A - S are the letters that spell . . .

Planets in orbit, line em up with the stars

Tarot cards, you can see the pharaoh Nas!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Bumping for a reason, I just heard his new single, it's from the sequel album to the one originally talked about on this thread.

Unlike the first time that I heard a single from Relapse, I'm actually moved. I hear the same struggles he went through from his early albums, and a more serious tone I've always preferred from his Slim-Shady counter-part (Beautiful was one hell of a track from that shitty album, it's the best gold I ever dug because until I heard that track, I practically forced myself to hear everything). His "insanity" raps (at least in relapse) were out of date, and the only Slim-Shady induced rhyme that I enjoyed was a bonus track not even on the original disc. Then again that took a serious tone throughout the entire song when compared to the rest of the album, which felt parody. When it comes to this part of Eminem, he already reached the roof with "Kim".

Now hearing "Not Afraid" I feel the same way I did from when I heard "The way I am" back when I was 10, that "forget the haters" attitude some of us have to use from time to time in order to achieve what we desire. A lift that shows a possible cause to madness, showing that even though you feel like shit, there is a reason for it. Expressing those mountains in front of us are meant to be climbed, not to stand in front of while we whimper for our parents.

Two things before I close this post:

1.I love Airplanes 2, check it out, Eminem went down that same serious route in that song.

2.This was meant to be post in blog, but again, I tested out if I could create one only to meet failure.

I'm not sure, see, this whole Mainsteam Hip-Hop thing about people caring about the Rap artist's life is pretty asinine. Eminem lost his spark so long ago that I just don't care about his music anymore, I don't really think he cares either. He's recycling struggles from a long time ago, he's outlived his welcome IMO.

Eminem believe it or not is a grown man, who has money and success, for him to still be talking about this crap is amazing in itself, you had a good run Eminem.

I'm not sure, see, this whole Mainsteam Hip-Hop thing about people caring about the Rap artist's life is pretty asinine. Eminem lost his spark so long ago that I just don't care about his music anymore, I don't really think he cares either. He's recycling struggles from a long time ago, he's outlived his welcome IMO.

Eminem believe it or not is a grown man, who has money and success, for him to still be talking about this crap is amazing in itself, you had a good run Eminem.

Totally agreed, I guess many pple could relate to his screwed up life cuz they had a screwed up life as well but now... ehhh. He mind as well rap about all the money he has and chicks that he has which doesnt eve compare to our little ratio... sigh... just like all the other mainstream rappers.

OH and Devia, the "King" of the kinda rap u jus mentioned right now is Drake, OMG, every song its about how he made it big, or his life in the rap world. Im like okay, you're in the hip-pop industry, rap about something that makes me think!*cough 'immortal technique*

I was hoping for that same gritty style but he doesnt have any more motivation (life doesnt suck for him anymore) so he seems so "save the world"ish

If you guy are looking for something fresh and new you should check out:

Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek(Reflection Eternal) Revolutions Per Minute

Heltah Skeltah D.I.R.T

Static Selectah 100 Proof

Jay Electronica's Act I and II

And if you guys check em out. Let me know what you think.

Edited by J3NK505

I checked out all of those suggestions Jenk, although I will go back and hear out the first three more thoroughly, they all have this rough "old school" taste that just feels too dirty for my ears. I could only ever listen to Biggie with that taste, the other dudes just seem to not mesh well with the beats in the backdrop. Their voices go against the noise when it should be flowing, otherwise it is just poetry being read with rhythm behind the speaker. Some people are cool with that, but I don't even bother with lyrics if the music doesn't compliment the musician. It's too rough on my ears (feels like a itch I can't scratch).

Jay on the other hand, I fell in love with instantly, I shall be listening to his stuff for a while :huh:, thanks for the recommendation.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to have to agree with Game Cop here, although I must admit I've never really cared for Eminem to begin with. I have a lot of friends that like his music, and they were all saying how "bangin'" his new album is... so I checked it out. GARBAGE is the only nice way to put it. And his "hit" single? Disturbing that it even made it to the charts... it's the same stale self absorbed nonsense Eminem is best at - from "The Way I Am" to "I'm Not Afraid." The album production is clunky and it seemed like everyone just knew Eminem was doing it to regain former notoriety and surface back into relevance since his "dark downward spiral" of feces known the world over as "Relapse."

Haters gonna hate, and I rage over Eminem since I dislike the way he was packaged as a white rapper with a dark side and amazing backup by incredibly famous artists... and I don't care for the man's music at all. Lawl.

I'm totally out of touch with the hip-hop scene nowadays, admittedly. I still listen to my stuff from late 80's through early 2000's... I'd have to say that DJ Quik and Hi-C are currently my attention holders (though I hardly listen as I'm more into... alternative genres).

I'm going to have to agree with Game Cop here, although I must admit I've never really cared for Eminem to begin with. I have a lot of friends that like his music, and they were all saying how "bangin'" his new album is... so I checked it out. GARBAGE is the only nice way to put it. And his "hit" single? Disturbing that it even made it to the charts... it's the same stale self absorbed nonsense Eminem is best at - from "The Way I Am" to "I'm Not Afraid." The album production is clunky and it seemed like everyone just knew Eminem was doing it to regain former notoriety and surface back into relevance since his "dark downward spiral" of feces known the world over as "Relapse."

Haters gonna hate, and I rage over Eminem since I dislike the way he was packaged as a white rapper with a dark side and amazing backup by incredibly famous artists... and I don't care for the man's music at all. Lawl.

I'm totally out of touch with the hip-hop scene nowadays, admittedly. I still listen to my stuff from late 80's through early 2000's... I'd have to say that DJ Quik and Hi-C are currently my attention holders (though I hardly listen as I'm more into... alternative genres).

PS, Don't direct me to Whiz, Cudi, Aesop Rock, Immortal Tech, Drake or anything in that vein, please. Murs seem interesting.

Here's a Quik song I'm into: