thinking of digging out the old xbox

Inky

Inky unless your looking to mess about with firmware like ddrt and compatible routers/modems the answer is yes but exspensive in time and money (the orignal wireless for xbox and compatibles cost a bomb on ebay).

I used the first cheap router i found £ 28 uk, and £ 12 uk for wireless network card and voila two machines fully networked.

PS. No firmware upgrades of any sort required. The router firmware is 3 yrs old, can be used in all manner of configs. Is this something youve done yourself or just guessing ?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I found all my cables and controllers. so I hooked up the xbox and it still works. the modchip is a little wonky. sometimes you have to press down on it at boot up. I'd like to softmod it and turn off the chip. first off I decided to upgrade xbmc. restarted the xbox and it went to the default dash...... no way to FTP into the xbox to fix it. I think I renamed the xbmc.xbe wrong. my drive won't read anything I had laying around. so I have to get some DVD-r in the morning. make a bootable disc, evox I guess. so I can get FTP access.

is there any way to connect the xbox hard drive to a PC an access it that way? I'm sure my xbmc.xbe is just renamed wrong.

Either that or if your chip has failed run one of the softmod exploits. I once put a corrupt evox trainer on my drive that completely messed things up so it wouldn't boot evox, or the MS dash. Back when I was using evox as a primary dash. Thing is I couldn't boot cds either coz I had my Xecuter2 bios set up so it didn't boot cds on startup. Big mistake when things go wrong. I ended up having to turn off the chip so it would boot the MS dash, then buy a mega-xkey just to use the Splinter Cell hack in order to get ftp access to remove the offending trainer. As soon as I deleted it and turned the chip back on evox booted up fine.

I've just 'upgraded' to the latest XBMC myself. While I've been working with it I've set up my bios to load evox as my primary dash instead of XBMC like normal so that if anything goes wrong with XBMC it will load evox on boot instead of XBMC. And it's a good job I did. With the latest versions of the skins, which are supposed to be kept up to date by the SVN, there are a bunch of fuck ups. The most notable being in Project Mayhem I and Xbox-Classic, the filemanager doesn't display. And on several of the skins, like the Orbs and PDM, if you enable the login screen, where you can choose from multiple profiles, when you restart, you can't login coz the skins are fucked. Twice I had to use XBMC skin manager to reset to Project Mayhem III via ftp.

It pisses me off that I'm now up to date, but I've taken a bunch of steps backward. More than half the scripts in the SVN are broken now, they just don't work with the new XBMC. The skins are all glitched in some way. And no one cares coz anyone who works on XBMC now only develops for the Windows or Linux versions.

got it going again, I had to use a slayers autoinstaller. but the xbmc on there is from 2006. I am gonna use the AID thing to upgrade XBMC tomorrow.

Iceman go to xbmc forums and get the nightly builds as they are way ahead of t3ch builds and work with the latest skin/plugin mediastream redux and justin.tv. There some builds that have mida flags for xbox.

Only catch is to save space nightly builds don't have the codecs, so you need to go system, players and copy dvdplayer, mplayer and paplayer.

Inky if its just for emulation you don't need a new build. AID is good but easily gets outdated google t3ch or get nightly builds.

I didn't know there were nightly builds on the xbmc forums. I'll have to look for them. I'd like to be up to date, but I'd also like everything to work properly. I'm currently using the latest stable build from T3CH, not the latest bleeding edge build, coz when I used that one, the menus for xbox game trainers wouldn't display, on any skin. So I couldn't use trainers. So I had to roll back. I'm all for updates, but when they break things that have been working for years it annoys me. Are the skins in the SVN the latest versions? Or are the updated builds of those on the forums too? I like to have a selection of skins, sometimes I switch between them for a change, and Xbox-Classic is one of my faves, but like I said with the latest version from the SVN the filemanager is broken, same for Project Mayhem I.

I softmodded my xbox with splinter cell, and then soldered two points (very easy) so I could run an app to flash my TSOP, then I restored the HDD to stock. Well actually I put I think a 320GB HDD in there but I set everything stock and locked the HDD so I could still boot msdash. You should probably attempt to do something like this because its just as reliable as a modchip in terms of software and its much more reliable in terms of hardware because you don't have to mess with the chip to get it to stay on which it seems is a common problem. Since you already have a chip I think if you could just get it to stay on long enough to run the app and then remove the chip you would be good to go. Look this up though because I think I read you could only do it with certain chips. There is a guide to doing it somewhere probably on xbox-scene.

I used the emulators here because they are all awesome:

http://xport.xbox-scene.com/

Although for NES I use MednafenX, I have CoinOPS, NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy(all), PSX, and N64. I don't think there are any N64 emulators that work all that well (if someone knows of one please tell) so you might not want to bother but I have Surreal64XXX B5 on there for that.

hey shiba, I seem to remember you saying something about forcing the xbox to think it has HD cables connected. Am I right? do you have the info on that?

well, I installed a softmod and swtiched off the chip. no more disassembeled xbox, with my hand in it every time I want to turn it on. XBMC is set up as the dash, got streaming going from PC to xbox. and Coinops installed. I'll look to get NES, SNES and Genesis going later this week. thats all I care about emulation wise. the focus has switched to a living room media center instead of bedroom emulation. I'm ordering HD cables and a remote tonight, on fleabay or whatever.

anyone have any good xbmc plugins suggestions?