I've garnered an interest to the NES

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that overly difficult games are good games, they just make me hate the game even more.

No game is too difficult you can't beat it. It just takes patience and practice. Grant it, there are quite a few games I haven't beaten considering I just don't have the time.

I get incredibly pissed at the newer stuff especially playing online. Sometimes I just prefer the good ol' days of "vs COM" or figuring stuff out yourself.

I just don't believe in the formula of, Extremely Hard Game = Good Game

Now, I'm not saying that difficult games like Megaman, Contra, and Ninja Gaiden are bad games, I'm just saying that the difficulty prevents me from enjoying the game. Rather than appreciating the game for what it is, I have to deal with the ridiculous difficulty.

Either I'm a complete wimp, or I am right.

I'm a wimp.

Many NES games were hard, no doubt about it, and basically the only way to master them was to memorize the "difficult" spots. Many of the games were difficult not because of bad controls or particular bosses with nasty attacks or because you needed god-life reflexes, but because of the overall level design, enemy placement and enemy spawning.

Many NES games were also quite notoriousfor utilizing the "constantly respawning enemies" syndrome where the game would immediately respawn enemies you already battled before just because you made the mistake of moving backwards enough that the screen scrolled.

Of course level design usually walked hand in hand with this respawn syndrome where enemy placement would be such that they appear immediately after you've made a jump or some other necessary and potentially risky move (Ninja Gaiden being the most notable and infamous, but certainly not the only one - Megaman for example, is equally guilty).

You don't see this kind of thing anymore in modern games, and much of the annoyance comes from noticeably bad gameplay or design choices, or piss poor enemy AI, etc.

many NES games were hard, no doubt about it, and basically the only way to master them was to memorize the "difficult" spots. Many of the games were difficult not because of bad controls or particular bosses with nasty attacks or because you needed god-life reflexes, but because of overall levels design, enemy placement and enemy spawning.

Many NES games were quite notorious of the constantly "respawning enemies" syndrome where the game would immediately respawn enemies you already battled before just because you made the mistake of moving backwards enough that the screen scrolled.

Of course level design usually walked hand in hand with this respawn syndrome where enemy placement would be such that they appear immediately after you've made a jump or some other necessary and potentially risky move (Ninja Gaiden being the most notable and infamous, but certainly not the only one - Megaman, for example is equally guilty).

You don't see this kind of thing anymore in modern games, any much of he annoyance comes from noticeably bad gameplay or design choices, or piss poor enemy AI, etc.

You nailed it, thank you very much for that lesson.

I don't believe that overly difficult games are good games, they just make me hate the game even more.

Depends, some games are not hard but are just badly built or time wasters. These can be misconceived as hard. Just because a game is cheap doesn't mean its hard.

Many NES games were hard, no doubt about it, and basically the only way to master them was to memorize the "difficult" spots. Many of the games were difficult not because of bad controls or particular bosses with nasty attacks or because you needed god-life reflexes, but because of the overall level design, enemy placement and enemy spawning.

Many NES games were also quite notorious for utilizing the "constantly respawning enemies" syndrome where the game would immediately respawn enemies you already battled before just because you made the mistake of moving backwards enough that the screen scrolled.

Of course level design usually walked hand in hand with this respawn syndrome where enemy placement would be such that they appear immediately after you've made a jump or some other necessary and potentially risky move (Ninja Gaiden being the most notable and infamous, but certainly not the only one - Megaman for example, is equally guilty).

You don't see this kind of thing anymore in modern games, and much of the annoyance comes from noticeably bad gameplay or design choices, or piss poor enemy AI, etc.

That is carrying 100% accuracy haha. Couldn't have said it better. MM used to piss me off soooo bad with that respawning crap. Still gets to me sometimes.

Edited by Hera

Respawning enemies in MM was to your benefit in many cases. This way you could farm energy pills and other useful items. Especially when they introduced refillable E-Tanks.

I at one point abused the living hell out of respawns in MM. But in 9 I managed to avoid it all together (until the last level).

Respawns made getting the achievements a lot easier.