Annoying Noise?

I've got one of those Jasper chipset 360s and it makes these really annoying humming/whirring/SOMETIMES high pitched noise that is extremely irritating. It seems to go away after a while (maybe I'm just ignoring it) but I want to know if theres a fix. Anyone else have this problem/solution?

it's the dvd drive. install your games to HDD.

it's the dvd drive. install your games to HDD.

^^^

+1 Mine does it too, it's like these console drives are built in some wierd way different than any other optical drive.

How do you install to hard drive though? I haven't spotted that anywhere.

It should be in the latest NXE update, you pop your game into the drive, and then you navigate to Game Library, click the game, and move down to "Install to Hard Drive". It should be under, "Play Game".

All up to date, I only got my 360 a few months ago. I'm surprised I never noticed that, mind you I use the big X menu button on my controller for everything and rarely see the actual dash.

Its not the dvd drive... did you really think I'd post this if it was THAT simple? The sound is there as soon as I turn on the console and when I'm not playing games. Even if nothings in the dvd-drive. For example, if I'm watching a video through a usb flash drive on the 360, the noise is there and it makes me want to shoot a baby.

When games aren't installed and I play a game, the whirring from the dvd-drive is like a jet taking off, and I'm WELL AWARE of that sound, but this is not that.

EDIT:

please no "send it in to microsoft for a fix" either

it is the fan then. not much to do really. xbox 360s are notorious for being loud as hell. although I guess I'm lucky, both mine have been pretty quite.

odd thing is the noise disappears after the system has been on for a while... maybe it disappears when it idles.

What a pain, maybe I can internally dampen it.