Some questions about how to use nullDC

Hi, I'm new (uh oh) and I was wondering about using nullDC... I have some questions on how to get started so hopefuly I won't have to come crawling back for help.

1. I have I game downloaded, not saying where from, but it was in 14 different parts, all .cdi files. I was wondering--do I have to do something to have all of these combined into one, or can they be in 14 different parts? Also, what would I have to do to combine these if needed?

2. With all that taken care of, do I just make a folder in nullDC titled "ROMS" and put all my games into that, or do I do something else...?

3. I don't need a joystick to play these, do I? I can use the keyboard?

4. How do I save a game?

In case your wondering, I already have the BIOS in the correct place, I just have no idea where to go from there.

1. What you have is a single CDI file split into 14 smaller chunks, i.e. a split compressed archive, not 14 different CDI files. Extract the contents starting from the first file and the rest will follow suit automatically.

2. I don't see why not.

3. Yes, you can. Although many games take advantage of the N64 controllers analog stick for a reason - a keyboard is not analog, which can lead to some games being close to unplayable.

4. Depends on the game you are trying to play - I'm sure you are aware of this. From nullDC's (and the actual console's perspective) games are saved in VMUs. You need to make sure that you've enabled VMU for Controller Port A in Configure Plugins window before playing

Look around the menus, get a feel of the emulator. It's not rocket science and it certainly won't make your computer explode if you fiddle with different options and see what they do.

1. What you have is a single CDI file split into 14 smaller chunks, i.e. a split compressed archive, not 14 different CDI files. Extract the contents starting from the first file and the rest will follow suit automatically.

2. I don't see why not.

3. Yes, you can. Although many games take advantage of the N64 controllers analog stick for a reason - a keyboard is not analog, which can lead to some games being close to unplayable.

4. Depends on the game you are trying to play - I'm sure you are aware of this. From nullDC's (and the actual console's perspective) games are saved in VMUs. You need to make sure that you've enabled VMU for Controller Port A in Configure Plugins window before playing

Look around the menus, get a feel of the emulator. It's not rocket science and it certainly won't make your computer explode if you fiddle with different options and see what they do.

He's lying to you on #4. Be careful not to hit the " 'splode my $hit!" button, or else.

Okay, so I have all the 14 parts combined into one sweet package, but this package does not seem to work... here, are the steps I took:

1 extracted all 14 parts, got 1 really big part :D

2 opened nullDC, selected File>normal boot, chose my .cdi file

3 selected System>Start

4 PROFIT Nothing happens. My cursor disappears randomly for a few seconds unless I move it, but that's it. I know I must be missing something, some kind of step, so please tell...?

I don't remember one having to use System --> Start to run the emulator after selecting a disc image file via Normal Boot, but my memory may fail me.

What game are you trying to play?

Sonic Adventure 2, I'm also trying to see if there is anyone with some help for me at emuforums, and they're saying to try different emulators and to see if nullDC runs on 'no disk'... Also, the seperate window says something about failing to find syscalls.bin, IP.BIN, oh heck, the link is here if you think my other help me topic could help. :/

http://forums.ngemu.com/nulldc-discussion/...es-im-newb.html

:shootem:

If by separate window you means the command window that shows all kinds of informs about registers, memory maps, etc. and that window says that it can find certain files while trying to boot the image, then that would suggest that either the game disc image is corrupt or it's not selfboot.

If it's really not selfboot, you need a bootdisc (basically a disc that you boot up first, and then swap with the actual game when prompted). If I were you though, I'd just ditch that image and find another one.

If IP.BIN is mising, that would usually mean that the game in question is not selfboot. The file in question is also called the "1st bootstrap" which is basically called first when you boot a Dreamcast game Since non-selfboot games cannot boot themselves, absence of IP.BIN is a dead giveaway. Syscalls.bin is a file that is needed with HLE GD-ROM boot (see manu item) that bypasses BIOS calls altogether, and can lead to many compatibility issues.

So, I don't really need syscalls.bin or IP.BIN? (i've heard of writing your own IP.BIN, do I need to do that if I need the file?)

Does the fact that it isn't self-bootable really apply to the other emulators, or just nullDC? Because if it does, I'll just get another image. :/

Edited by Rachzion

All the Dreamcast emulators cannot boot non-selfboot image as is, and need a bootdisc (like the real Dreamcast). Bootdiscs used in an emulator can be very dodgy though, so you'd probably be happier if you just stop here and find yourself a selfboot disc image.

Granted, most disc images floating around the 'net are selfboot these days, but some douches still don't know crap about dumping GD-ROMs (nor proper selfboot conversions) and distributing non-selfboot images.

In an optimal scenario, you should dump your own discs, but I'm hardly the moral police around here.

Yeahm, I musta' just stumbled upon one that wasn't selfboot, since nothing else seems to make sense. (heheh... what're the odds of that?) I'll look around for another one and report as to whether or not it works. :thumbsup1:

Thankyou, I got it up and running! ;) Just a bad set 'o' bios, and I downloaded a different version of nullDC, too. Runs beautifully :D Now to clean up my desktop... full of bad bios baddies and crappy emulators. :( Ah, well. Thanks again!