Compiling MAME has given ugly menus

I recently compiled my own version of MAME Plus! 0.129 (I needed a slightly older version as I had a 0.129 diff I needed to patch it with) but the menus that come up in game (game info/disclaimer and the TAB menu) look awful (low resolution and filtered).

Here is an example of the blurry menu screen I get with the MAME Plus! I compiled:

mame-menu%20-mameplus_and_ui_compile.png

I want it to look like the one that comes with newer versions of pre-compiled MAMEUI:

mameui_precompiled.png

Even when I tried compiling a version of MAMEUI (not Plus) I still got this low reslution menu.

Is there any way of replacing the blurred menu with the newer, nicer looking one before compiling?

Thanks.

Edited by hi_resurrection

The font is controlled by the .bdf file in your mame folder.

See if you have one for your mameui, if so, copy it to your mameplus folder.

A .bdf is a font file, a rather obscure format found on certain unix machines. Why did they choose it? I don't know.

The font is controlled by the .bdf file in your mame folder.

See if you have one for your mameui, if so, copy it to your mameplus folder.

A .bdf is a font file, a rather obscure format found on certain unix machines. Why did they choose it? I don't know.

Brilliant! That's all it was. Before I asked the question, I wondered if it might be something that could be done after compiling rather than before but I didn't want to push my luck!