sony vaio pcg-r505gl cannot change screen brightness and sound and scroll doesn't work

my sony vaio pcg-r505gl laptop just toasted my hard disk. then i used a windows xp setup disk i got from a dell pc. after i re instaled xp on my new 80GB hard disk on my vaio, i noticed that i cannot change the screen brightness and the sound setting using the fn button on my keyboard. also, i cannot use the scroll thingy called "jog dial" or something. i think i need a few drivers but i cannot find any on the net or on the sony support site. i found some drivers on the sony support site but not the ones that i need. i seriously need help. i think the screen light might blow out like the ibm thinkpad i used to have.

any help?

Did you receive a Disk with your laptop? Because normally that would have all the device drivers and additional software you need to restore your laptop to factory specs.

When I did a search for your laptop drivers this is the Sony support link that came up:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?...05GL#div_pos_94

Is that the one you have already checked? I did not see any mention of the “jog dial” but if this link is different then the one you mentioned the sections I would check are:

- Sony Applications (various) - 2 file(s)

- System Components - 1 file(s)

- Touchpad - 2 file(s)

- VAIO Media Software - 8 file(s)

- Video - 1 file(s)

A lot of the times the functions you are referring to are not considered “hardware” but more like software functions on the laptop so this may not help, but you can always try checking in “Device Manager” and if any hardware is not installed, right click on it and do the “Update Driver” option and select the option to let Windows search for the driver automatically. This can sometimes resolve problems like that.

The last thing you can try is searching on a site like “Driver Guide”.com and searching based on your laptop model. (PCG-R505GL). If none of the above works you may want to call Sony and ask them what software you need to restore those two functions…

Good luck! :lol:

..then i used a windows xp setup disk i got from a dell pc. after i re instaled xp on my new 80GB hard disk on my vaio...

Using a Dell OEM version of XP to restore won't have given you any specific drivers. You have gotten some generic stuff. Advice would be just as DIY said. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Did you receive a Disk with your laptop? Because normally that would have all the device drivers and additional software you need to restore your laptop to factory specs.

When I did a search for your laptop drivers this is the Sony support link that came up:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?...05GL#div_pos_94

Is that the one you have already checked? I did not see any mention of the “jog dial” but if this link is different then the one you mentioned the sections I would check are:

- Sony Applications (various) - 2 file(s)

- System Components - 1 file(s)

- Touchpad - 2 file(s)

- VAIO Media Software - 8 file(s)

- Video - 1 file(s)

A lot of the times the functions you are referring to are not considered “hardware” but more like software functions on the laptop so this may not help, but you can always try checking in “Device Manager” and if any hardware is not installed, right click on it and do the “Update Driver” option and select the option to let Windows search for the driver automatically. This can sometimes resolve problems like that.

The last thing you can try is searching on a site like “Driver Guide”.com and searching based on your laptop model. (PCG-R505GL). If none of the above works you may want to call Sony and ask them what software you need to restore those two functions…

Good luck! :)

the computer is sort of a hand-me-down computer, reused 4 times. so i dont have a disk for it.

i tried driver guide. good selection but not the ones i need. the jog dial thing is sort of like a scroll wheel. the screen brighness isnt a problem anymore because my screen broke and now i just use a desktop minitor. but i still need to change the sound. i probably dont need the drivers as much anymore because im going to use an external mouse and keyboard and use it as a desktop computer. i've installed just about everything else for drivers ezcept the fn and jog dial drivers.