Resident Evil 5

Oh sure!!! My pleasure. Dont hesitate to ask any questions if you have any... Oh. there is alittle quest in RE4 Perhaps you have started it. there are little blue plate thingies that you can shoot. When you get them all, you are rewarded with

a handgun that passes through a target and hits the enemy behind it... most handy. Even though it is a bit weaker, it hits multiple enemies... so that is good. I recommend using it. .

But if you have issues w/ aiming, take alittle time and practice the finess of the task... it took me FOREVER!!! But now Im pretty damn good.

So... has anyone been fooling around with RE5's Co-op???

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing I don't like about RE5 (i never played RE4 so I dunno about that one.) is the puzzles amount to just killing a certain enemy to get a key card.

what happened to the old days of the RE1 style puzzles? I have such fond memories of RE1, sitting with friends trying to figure out some room puzzle. or finally finding the thing you need to solve a puzzle all the way across the mansion. and the dread of the return trip. all that stuff is gone from RE5.

one thing I don't like about RE5 (i never played RE4 so I dunno about that one.) is the puzzles amount to just killing a certain enemy to get a key card.

what happened to the old days of the RE1 style puzzles? I have such fond memories of RE1, sitting with friends trying to figure out some room puzzle. or finally finding the thing you need to solve a puzzle all the way across the mansion. and the dread of the return trip. all that stuff is gone from RE5.

Yea they have totally removed any puzzles. It is so far from RE roots. I like a shootemup as much as the next guy, but now your brain soly works tword maintaining the upperhand during a skirmish... Gone is the conceptual problem solving of old. Nothing to break the pace of the game. I miss puzzles. I'm sure there are some who can whip up some awesome new puzzle concepts. I remember some of my favorite from various games. Like Xmen on the SEGA. Appearently Mojo placed a bomb, and in order to dissarm it, you had to reset it. So You run around looking for the bomb. After a bit, you question yourself because you cant find it. You know you gotta reset it, and without doing so, you will die... but where the hell is it... Turns out you have to go up to you console, and press reset... when the game reload... the game continues on. Hitting the reset button on the sega, is how you reset the bomb... Whoever thought of that deserves an award.

Something I notticed about puzzles now and days... they are usually too obvious. If only more games put some good time into making such a mechanic. Sure it's hard working around, and creating plot mechanics in a puzzle that intertwine with a games story... making it believable, but damn it... some of us need to get hung up on a puzzle. Ohhh the days of 7th guest... Space Quest even... Although Space Quest was more of... find certain things that go in or with something else on a very basic level... but whatever... unfortunately... the further RE games go, the more they came to that.

As for RE4... Hmmm. No. No real puzzles that I can think of right now. Plaqs that fit into something as a key or somesuch... I cannot remember having to mull over... Oh... I remember one. behind the church, right before you find the Presidents daughter. It was fun, but short... there was another inside the church now that I am thinking abot it. Perhaps there are more I have forgotten. But other than the puzzle in the graveyard, I cannot think of one that was any kind of a challenge.

It really is too bad. Has it gotten so convoluted... marketing as a whole, that they remove anything that really exercises our mind in such ways? Is it that the masses are too dumb and have too low an attention span to actually want to play such a game?

one thing I loved about RE1 was the safe room. you never knew what to expect but you entered a safe room and that music was playing and your heart had a chance to slow down. there are no moments like that in RE5.

not to mention the magic boxes. I miss the magic boxes.

now Left 4 dead feels more like that to me, racing for the safe room and you get there and it's like "ahhh, I made it. a moment of peace before we go back out there." same with dead rising. I think Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising have far surpassed RE as the kings of Zombie games.

I sat down and played Resident Evil 4, because I knew I was going to have to play something in order to hold myself over until my next XBOX 360 game arrives.

I played it for three hours in one sitting. The main disputes that I have with Resident Evil 4 are of the following.

- I find it difficult to kill a zombie with one shot to the head, even if I perfectly shoot them in the fore head they bend back and pain. Sometimes on rare occasions their heads explode. I'm guessing this relates to the fire power of the gun, but even after getting the handgun to level three I still failed at getting headshots.

Exploding heads mean you scored a critical hit. You don't always even have to aim directly at the head to get a head explosion. Sure, aiming squarely at the head and having a powerful weapon significantly raises the chance to score a critical, but it's not always a requirement; you just need to nail the random sweet spot in the game's code that grants you a critical hit.

The villagers get far more resilient the further you go, making the above mentioned feat more difficult. Yes, the difficulty also auto-adjusts itself depending on how well/poorly you play. The village fight early in the game is also much easier if you don't go in to the house at the center of the village or run to the northwest corner, past the tower (prevents the two Dr. Salvadors from spawning and coming after you.)

- The movement feels clunky, slow, and ineffective when trying to escape. The re-loading is also a major downfall here. Often times, I'll be surrounded by numerous enemies. I run away from them and quickly turn around. Once I do this I stay in one spot and shoot my handgun as quickly as possible. The zombies tend to run towards me and stop as soon as they are in my face.

That's Resident Evil Tank Controls™ for you. I personally like it, because it keeps the tension high. Shoot the villagers in the foot while they're running at you for some comedy, or whip out a shotgun and blast at their general direction. If you have the time and room, always start slashing villagers on the ground. You can also do this if you are quick when they get too close.

- When re-loading I'm left completely open, and it is also annoying when it takes seven shots to kill each zombie when ammo always seems scarce. I wish I was able to kick enemies at all times, because when surrounded by many, it is hard to shoot all of them to the point where they cannot attack me.

More like "features" that are vintage RE. See my previous comment about villager resiliency. The only time you can kick them is when they are staggering or kneeling (after knee shot) and you are close enough. Abuse it as often as you possibly can. When facing Los Illuminados (zealot monks), Leon will suplex them, instantly killing them. Note that throwing a stun grenade into a group of enemies always grants you a kick opportunity. Grenades are always good, especially if you have a high vantage point.

As far as Novistadors go, you have a chance to kick them the moment they try to jump at you.

The ones with projectiles are also annoying, because with Leon not being very agile, you will have to either try your luck and hope that the Zombie misses or, you'll have to waste ammo shooting a projectile in mid-flight before it gets the chance to make contact with you.

If you are talking about the villagers with dynamite, wait for them to light the stick, and immediately shoot them in the face. This causes them to stagger/writhe in pain, thus causing enough time to pass for the dynamite to explode in their hand. If you have steady aim, you can also try shooting the dynamite directly in their hand the moment it's lit, causing the dynamite to explode.

- The limitations on weapons and items is irritating. I want to be able to carry the TMP, along with other weapons but I end up having to discard a large and useful weapon like the shot gun, to make room. I think I'm most concerned with the fact that I cannot just start unloading bullets on Zombies like Gears of War, because every bullet counts.

Another vintage RE feature. If you ask me, don't let go of the shotgun. Ever. Excellent crowd control and damage at close range. TMP is very good early in the game, but eventually you need to get rid of it to make room for the semi-auto rifle and the Broken Butterfly.

- I also found the health to get near empty after each hit, and when I used the Yellow and Green plants to increase my health, it didn't seem to help much.

Make tricolor mixes - you get full health plus max energy increase thanks to the yellow herb. Keep lots of these and triple greens or double greens for healing. Use a green/yellow mix only when you've incurred light damage (no more than 2 or so cells).

- I find it difficult to kill a zombie with one shot to the head, even if I perfectly shoot them in the fore head they bend back and pain. Sometimes on rare occasions their heads explode. I'm guessing this relates to the fire power of the gun, but even after getting the handgun to level three I still failed at getting headshots.

Pop quiz hot shot. The Ganados are not zombies. Thus why head shots defy zombie lore in RE4.

Pop quiz hot shot. The Ganados are not zombies. Thus why head shots defy zombie lore in RE4.

Yes well, not zombies - more like mindless slaves. The pictures during the credits explain quite a bit about their demise.

I have taken all of this advice into account, but ultimately I feel that there is still a scarcity of ammo. Having Ashley on a leash makes the game even more frustrating if such were possible.

At this point I'm wasting ammo shooting otherwise unavoidable traps, and when I finally manage to put an enemy down, an organism pops out, then the enemy can only be killed if its shot in the head once again.

It may just be me alone, but I am a very whiny Video Game player, I should take some time off. The gameplay event where Leon and the Latino shoot enemies outside of a window really made me put the controller down, as I ran out of ammo for all weapons, and, leaving me no choice, having to attempt to kill enemies using a knife, I was killed instantly.

I have taken all of this advice into account, but ultimately I feel that there is still a scarcity of ammo. Having Ashley on a leash makes the game even more frustrating if such were possible.

Often times there is a dumpster or some other safe haven nearby where you can order her to hide, while you go ahead and take care of business.

At this point I'm wasting ammo shooting otherwise unavoidable traps, and when I finally manage to put an enemy down, an organism pops out, then the enemy can only be killed if its shot in the head once again.

You may opt to use a stun grenade, which instantly kills all exposed Las Plagas in the vicinity.

Conserving ammo: Make sure your shots count, as in, often look for an opening (even when facing a group) where getting only one of them to kneel grants you a kick opportunity which effectively downs all others as well (Leon's kick being a roundhouse after all). Also, when facing one or two , and more importantly, if they decide to charge, shoot them in the legs and run past them when they're munching the dirt - or if only one decides to charge and others keep their distance, shoot the one charging and proceed to knife the person while he's down. Of course, stop and back up when the others get too close. If you face too many, use a shotgun or a grenade.

Although, villagers with projectile (sickles, hatchets, etc.) weapons are a considerable risk. Either target them first or put your reflexes to the test by swiping their "projectile" midair with your knife. While it's always an option to simply not waste any ammo and evade, I'm the type of person to mostly go after anything that moves, thanks to the random items drops (and the oh-so-useful pistol ammo drops)

The gameplay event where Leon and the Latino shoot enemies outside of a window really made me put the controller down, as I ran out of ammo for all weapons, and, leaving me no choice, having to attempt to kill enemies using a knife, I was killed instantly.

I agree, I don't really like this particular section either. I usually run to the second floor and make a stand at the top of the stairs (grenades, guns, everything goes - incendiaries are particularly useful here). Though you also need to check the sides every now and then (slightly before and during the time the spaniard joins you upstairs) to make sure that the villagers aren't erecting any ladders - they start doing this fairly late into the skirmish though. Note that if you stay downstairs for a while early on, the spaniard throws you pistol ammo every now and then.

The only real difference between difficulty levels is the amount of damage you take and the drop rate of ammunition - which really forces the player to take note of the survival angle. Easy difficulty is rather generous with ammo, and I do agree with some people that say that playing on Easy kind of lulls you into a false sense of security and accomplishment - whereas Normal is the difficulty people should get accustomed with.

P.S. Abuse the quick 180 degree turn.

Often times there is a dumpster or some other safe haven when you can order her to hide, while you go ahead and take care of business.

You may opt to use a stun grenade, which instantly kills all exposed Las Plagas in the vicinity.

Conserving ammo: make sure you shots count, as in, often look for an opening (even when facing a group) where getting only one of them to kneel grants you a kick opportunity which effectively downs all others as well (Leon's kick being a roundhouse after all). Also, when facing one or two , and more importantly, if they decide to charge, shoot them in the leg and run past them when they're munching the dirt - or if only one decides to charge and other keep their distance, shoot the one charging and proceed to knife the person while he's down. Of course, stop and back up when the others get too close. If you face too many, use the shotgun or a grenade.

Although, villagers with projectile (sickles, hatchets, etc.) weapons are a considerable risk. Either target them first or put your reflexes to the test by swiping their "projectile" midair with your knife. While it's always an option to simply not waste any ammo and evade, I'm the type of person who mostly goes after anything that moves, thanks to the random items drops (and the oh-so-useful pistol ammo drops)

The gameplay event where Leon and the Latino shoot enemies outside of a window really made me put the controller down, as I ran out of ammo for all weapons, and, leaving me no choice, having to attempt to kill enemies using a knife, I was killed instantly.

I agree, I don't really like this particular section either. I usually run to the second floor and make a stand at the top of the stairs (grenades, guns, everything goes - incendiaries are particularly useful here). Though you also need to check the sides every now and then (slightly before and during the time the spaniard joins you upstairs) to make sure that the villagers aren't erecting any ladders - they start doing this fairly late into the skirmish though. Note that if you stay downstairs for a while early on, the spaniard throws you pistol ammo every now and then.

The only real difference between difficulty levels is the amount of damage you take and the drop rate of ammunition - which really forces the player to really take note of the survival angle. Easy difficulty is rather generous with ammo, and I do agree with some people that say that playing on Easy kind of lulls you into a false sense of security and accomplishment - where as Normal is the difficulty people should get accustomed with.

P.S. Abuse the quick 180 degree turn.

This does wonders. Because of your admonishments, I am succeeding in killing 5-7 enemies without getting attacked. My main strategy always seems to work. Hiding Ashely in the local dumpsters renders her non-existent, and from there I can focus on the task at hand. The 180 Degree turn is basically my only real strength in evasion.

- I shoot legs, and then knife them until they die. This is saving me much more ammo than I expected, also the correct shot will make torch holders spill fire upon themselves, that also helps. Let's see how far I can get with this strategy, much is obliged.

Give 'em hell.

How did you manage against against El Gigante (the cave troll) the first time around?

P.S. I also found a rather neat feature, although it really doesn't play to your advantage, quite the opposite actually: If you try to take refuge in the village tower at the beginning of the game and stay there, the villagers will start throwing in dynamite. Thy won't try to climb the ladder to where you are , but try and smoke you out. Once you get out, they no longer try to deter you with dynamite.

EDIT: If your ammo allows it, always kill crows, as they'll drop all sorts of nice things when killed. The trick is to kill them in ways that doesn't disturb any other nearby crows. Kill them in groups too (like in the area with the El Gigante where the bunch of crows minding their own business sitting in a circle on the ground - throw an incendiary smack dab in the middle and watch every single one die a fiery death).

Or harass the chickens, in the hopes that they'll lay eggs (normal egg heals as much as a single green herb, brown egg = two greens). Jackpot is getting a golden egg which gives you full energy. Or, you know, sell em for pesetas.

P.P.S. Never discard/sell any rifle ammo you might come across. The semi-auto rifle will be your lifeline later in the game, and the ammunition for it is very scarce. same goes with the magnum variants.