Watchmen

Inky

I had to spring this up, I can't stop reminiscing about the film. To all of you that saw it, I want your thoughts!

So in English class the other day, the class was discussing the current state of the hierarchical systems set in the current world. How religions helped influence the current setting, and how it promotes constant bickering and violence (to the point where destruction is an unavoidable outcome of this world). The teacher was saying how in today's society, we all live in a Triangle of power, where the masses lay at the bottom, and the (in religion, gods) rich stay at the top in control of the power. He went on to saying how the only way to climb up was to follow the rules and play nice and eventually you would be slowly pacing up. But the top is small, and those already up there will not let you move up, everyone wants power, and those with it are in charge of themselves in order to keep it. So the only way you can move up, is by creating chaos, so that when everyone is running about in the top you take an opportunity and push forward to take your own position in power. He also went on to say how we as a society will eventually crumble due to this system, and that in order to "evolve" we must transcend from the current triangle of power to a circle of constant motion. He said that we as a society can either transcend into this through either pain (IE: Watchmen ending), or slow and constant change.

My question to you all is, do you think that the way the world is going now, where everyone is "loosing" "money", where policies and decisions aren't made by the people (but by those in power), we are all in motion towards catastrophe? If this question is answered with yes, do you think that there is a way to prevent catastrophe, or we as a species need to suffer in order to re-learn to appreciate? In this superficial world, are we nothing but profit for those already in power? I have so many more questions, but I rather let the discussion begin, and if any discussion begins, I wanna see it go places.

There aren't that many spoilers in the tag, but a lot of information and enough to predict a correct ending.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you catch yourself looking at blue dong for more then a sec. it means you are a real comic book fan. and gay.