WTF Vista?

iq_132

Recently I decided to check and see how my hdd space I was using:

Clipboard01.png

Hmm.. this doesn't seem right.

So after a little investigating, I came upon this:

Clipboard02.png

I decided to see what would happen if I deleted system restore and shadow copies...

Clipboard03.png

Great! What do i need more than 1 restore point for?

So I checked back...

Clipboard04.png

and wtf? 23gb for f*cking shadow copies?

Just as bad as Norton Antivirus and it's hidden secure recycle bin it fails to inform you of.

I long since stopped using NAV, but back when I moved from 2000 to 2003, I magically wound up with 20+GB of missing hard drive space, that could not be accounted for. This NAV feature, hides itself as a system folder on each drive, and EVERYTHING you delete is stored there even if you permanently delete it from your normal recycle bin (Which is automatic for me, I don't use the Recycle bin, when I delete stuff it's on purpose).

I use Avast, the Free version. Fully featured unlike other free AV.

I tried AVG, and it's ok, but it's very limited. For instance, a file you KNOW isn't a virus, can't be excluded from detection in the free version. Big PITA, the keyhook dll for MaLa is detected as one, and you can't run MaLa because of it unless you disable AVG.

NOD32 + either Outpost or Comodo. I'm having to use Comodo at the minute, though it is easy to configure and has a ton of options, Outpost has been my mainstay firewall for years. I did try Norton Internet Security 2009 as it was said to be much lighter than previous releases, but to be honest it sometimes took 2-3 minutes to fully load on system startup. Not good.

I use AVG pro atm, (the eye-patch version :peopleseybrow:). Honestly, I pretty much hate it. It's a pain in the dick to configure, pain in the dick to get it do what you want, it's slow, it locks up my pc for several seconds when I open a certain folder on my desktop, and bitches about packed exe's. :S I'm looking for something different, light weight, fast, full-featured, easily config'd, and catches pretty much everything.

It's still better than Symantec Corp. that I was using for a long time. That would spawn half a dozen sub-apps eating up tons of resources. :S

I use Avast, the Free version. Fully featured unlike other free AV.

I tried AVG, and it's ok, but it's very limited. For instance, a file you KNOW isn't a virus, can't be excluded from detection in the free version. Big PITA, the keyhook dll for MaLa is detected as one, and you can't run MaLa because of it unless you disable AVG.

^^^+1 I just got Avast for free too, I but it on my new built and I have to play with it to see how it works hopefully it will be better then norton

Back on topic, I know we like to bash Vista (I do too), but those options and restore point stuff is in XP as well. The only difference is that the 2nd screenshot allows you to remove unneeded Windows components as well.

I immediately removed the useless Outlook Express.

Useless, because that computer isn't connected to the net.