Tokyo Bus Guide and NullDc

Hello, First off I would like to say if this post is in the wrong section I am sorry.

Now, I downloaded Tokyo Bus Guide game and was going to try it out. The file that I downloaded was a bin/cue. I noticed that in nulldc there was a option to load bin so I did select that. I also downloaded utopia boot disk and I added that to the GDRom. But it just decided to crash. Instead of working. I know that I did something wrong since I saw on youtube.com that someone did get it to work. I don't know if it is because I am running windows vista. but it is a possibility. So could someone please lend a hand it would be really appreciated or tell me what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance

Road hammer

What exactly do you mean by

I also downloaded utopia boot disk and I added that to the GDRom.

Hello, Thanks for the reply.

Well what I mean with downloaded utopia boot disk and I added it to the GDROM. I mean in nulldc there is a option under options. Where you select Image file. I was looking around on the internet and I thought it would of worked. Since many people were saying that it might need a selfboot file. i thought it would of taken care of it.

I am new to emulators and I just wanted to play the game. I hope I am not too much of a bother.

Thanks for the help/sorry for the misunderstanding

Road Hammer

I'll make a few points clear just so that we're on the same page here:

The Option --> GDROM menu specifies a certain disc image that will always be used when you fire up nullDC. Most people only use this when they plan to play a single game for a long time and do not swap games often. I'd suggest using File --> Normal Boot to boot your games. Not the Options --> GDROM menu nor HLE GDROM Boot option, because the latter bypasses the BIOS, and can/will lead to compatibility issues.

Don't use a bootdisc unless you are absolutely sure that you need one. Games that need a bootdisc simply do not boot at all and stay in the Dreamcast menu. Finally, does the game crash or does the entire emulator crash? Which version of nullDC are you using?

I'll make a few points clear just so that we're on the same page here:

The Option --> GDROM menu specifies a certain disc image that will always be used when you fire up nullDC. Most people only use this when they plan to play a single game for a long time and do not swap games often. I'd suggest using File --> Normal Boot to boot your games. Not the Options --> GDROM menu nor HLE GDROM Boot option, because the latter bypasses the BIOS, and can/will lead to compatibility issues.

Don't use a bootdisc unless you are absolutely sure that you need one. Games that need a bootdisc simply do not boot at all and stay in the Dreamcast menu. Finally, does the game crash or does the entire emulator crash? Which version of nullDC are you using?

Thanks for the help and for clearing up what the GDROM is for.

well the version of nulldc that I have is Nullsc 1.0.3 mmu. When I loaded it up with Null it just crash and windows vista pop's up saying that it has stopped working. I also get an error when I start up Nulldc it says that "this applications has failed to start because d3dx9.37.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Thanks again for your help.

Road Hammer

A missing DirectX DLL suggest that you haven't installed the latest DirectX runtimes. Get the DirectX Web Updater and update.

Do not use the MMU executable. It is only meant to be used if you happen to like nullDC in Interpreter mode (Dynarec disabled, which 99.9% of users do not like because it is several times slower than Dynamic Recompilation).

Sorry for the double post.

I did what you said with direct x but my drivers are upto date and it was a windows vista issue. I forgot to run it with admin credentials.

I did boot up normally but it shows up in the music cd section of dreamcast. Also there are no keyboard controls i didn't find anything for controls.

Also I tried loading up the bin in nulldc since that is what it is. A bin/cue file in the rar. help would always be appreciated.

Road Hammer

Options --> Maple --> Port A --> Config keys for Player 1.

If you boot the game up normally and it shows up as a music CD, then that is a pretty strong indicator that either the disc image is damaged or it is non-selfboot (well in all honestly, DC games ripped to BIN/CUE are always non-selfboot because the BIN image only has one track - selfboot games need at least two, AFAIK). If the disc image is not damaged, then you need that bootdisc we discussed earlier. Boot it first and follow whatever it tells you. If it fails to boot, you are SOL.

Options --> Maple --> Port A --> Config keys for Player 1.

If you boot the game up normally and it shows up as a music CD, then that is a pretty strong indicator that either the disc image is damaged or it is non-selfboot (well in all honestly, DC games ripped to BIN/CUE are always non-selfboot because the BIN image only has one track - selfboot games need at least two, AFAIK). If the disc image is not damaged, then you need that bootdisc we discussed earlier. Boot it first and follow whatever it tells you. If it fails to boot, you are SOL.

I when I go to options --> Maple--> Port A I unplug is the only option the other keyboard is disabled on it. When i boot up the boot disk it says that av cables are not compatible to turn off and unplug av cables

Make sure that you've selected nullDC controller [Winhook] as the active controller plugin. Otherwise, nullDC doesn't emulate the controller at all (or depending on the selection, emulates the DC keyboard, the DC mouse or a disconnected controller), thus robbing you of any additional options the Maple menu might offer. If a boot disc (or any game) is complaining about incompatible AV cables, set the Cable Type to either TV or VGA, whichever works.