Help Building New PC Rig

veristic

So i've been browsing the benchmarks and forums for a while now because I want to build a new PC rig.

It'll be an "upgrade" from this old single core Socket 478 Pentium 4 2.4 ghz machine i've been on for like... 6 years now, so any new cpu I get will be a real boost i'm sure.

What I need help with is deciding which CPU to get because the CPU is going to be the most expensive part and I want to save as much $ as I can while getting something that'll give me the most performance benefit.

What it boils down to - AMD is a lot cheaper than Intel right now.

But I know that Intel pretty much owns the field in processors at the moment, even with the new Phenom II X4's out bringing AMD back on track for some real competition.

Anyway, quad cores aside, i'm looking at the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 ghz with a mobo combo that'll come out to just over $300 on newegg, and I realize this processor can oc to 4.0 ghz which is something i'm interested in. It also uses up less wattage (65w I believe) and such and makes sense why its better than AMD dual cores.

Now in comparison i've been also looking at AMD's Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0 ghz (125w) and the Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7 ghz Black Edition (95w) and I know even overclocked these processors still don't outdo the E8400 but with a mobo combo both of these come out to about $100 less than the E8400 + mobo combo.

What I could use help on (if any of you have the knowledge) is whether the difference in performance between the Intel CPU and the AMD CPU's is large enough that the $100 increase in price for the Intel CPU is well, is it worth it? I know the 7750 Kuma Black Editiion has unlocked multipliers specifically meant for oc'ing and its supposedly oc's pretty easily but again, overclocked is the difference in performance vs the E8400 oc'ed a big difference or just marginal? The same with the 6000+ Windsor, is it a big difference or marginal?

Any advice would help guys, i'd appreciate it.

Edited by veristic

I was really set on a 7750 but was offered the 8750 X3 Black Ed for the same money so I grabbed it. I had a 5000+ BE for a few weeks and had it oc'd to 3GHz, but the extra core makes a big difference. Personally, with the new range of CPUs just released by AMD I'd go for one of those. They seem to be clocking 3.6-3.8 which is close to the Intel equivalent, but still a fair bit cheaper. You must get a mobo with southbridge 750 to get the most out of the AMDs. The new SB750 boards have ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) which has been thoroughly proven to boost overclock.

If you are determined to go with Intel then I'd go with a 7400 instead. It only has half the L3 cache but is usually around 2/3 of the price of an 8400. They can be easily overclocked too. Obviously how 'easy' it is to overclock any of these CPUs will depend heavily on the mobo, so choose wisely :P

I was really set on a 7750 but was offered the 8750 X3 Black Ed for the same money so I grabbed it. I had a 5000+ BE for a few weeks and had it oc'd to 3GHz, but the extra core makes a big difference. Personally, with the new range of CPUs just released by AMD I'd go for one of those. They seem to be clocking 3.6-3.8 which is close to the Intel equivalent, but still a fair bit cheaper. You must get a mobo with southbridge 750 to get the most out of the AMDs. The new SB750 boards have ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) which has been thoroughly proven to boost overclock.

If you are determined to go with Intel then I'd go with a 7400 instead. It only has half the L3 cache but is usually around 2/3 of the price of an 8400. They can be easily overclocked too. Obviously how 'easy' it is to overclock any of these CPUs will depend heavily on the mobo, so choose wisely :P

What do you mean by "new range of CPUs"?

What do you mean by "new range of CPUs"?

In the past few weeks there have been about 6 or so new CPUs released by AMD, see here. That article doesn't mention the other two higher end X4 CPUs, the 920 and 940 BE.

Example, an X3 710 BE with 3 cores at 2.6GHz and 6MB L3 cache, would be only $125, while an E8400 is $165. This article shows the 710 BE stable at 3.7GHz. Not quite up to the 4GHz of the E8400, but you get a whole extra core running at 3.7GHz, with the same size L3 cache, for $40 less! Makes sense to me.

Example, an X3 710 BE with 3 cores at 2.6GHz and 6MB L3 cache, would be only $125, while an E8400 is $165. This article shows the 710 BE stable at 3.7GHz. Not quite up to the 4GHz of the E8400, but you get a whole extra core running at 3.7GHz, with the same size L3 cache, for $40 less! Makes sense to me.

Oh wow I didn't even realize they sold for that much. Thanks man. Seems there's more deals with the 720 BE on newegg. :P

Edit: Question, does this mobo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128378 , only support ddr3 memory?

Edited by veristic