My PS3 Doesn’t Play PS2 Games :(

A friend told me it would before I bought it which I thought was pretty cool because I have really come to love the wireless controllers on the PS3. I have the 80gb model.

Well I tried playing tales of the Abyss on the system and got an error message about the media being unreadable.

I downloaded and installed the PS2 software for the PS3 and rebooted the system and tried again but still no dice.

I checked online and was directed to a search form where you can punch in a game title and see if it is compatible with the PS3. It told me Tales of the Abyss should work fine so I am not sure what the deal is.

I have heard that PS2 functionality was being stripped out of the hardware in the PS3, but that the system could still handle it through software emulation. It’s a major bummer after all the bragging about the specs from Sony it can’t handle a last generation game. I still love my PS3 but it would be nice to keep the PS2 in the game room where it belongs.

To be specific, Sony removed the Emotion Engine along with all the other hardware specifics of the PS2 in order to reduce the cost of the PS3. No no hardware-based PS2 backwards compatibility, but software. Which means that some of the backwards compatibility is still present, but many (most notably those games that make sure of the more advanced features of the PS2 hardware and the Emotion Engine in particular) do not work at all or work poorly.

<i>From what I heard Sony removed the PS2 compatibility not long after it was released, which makes it rather useless. Unless you want to wait around for decent PS3 titles to become available.</i>

if you don`t feel the ps3 has good titles now you probably never will, eh.

• 11 months later...

I'm not a PS3 genius by any means, but here is my logic.People are loading PC OS's onto the PS3.You can play PS2 Games on a PC.What is in the software of the PS3 that the 20gb works, 40gb doesnt, 60gb does,at least if we understand why the 40gb doesnt play ps2 games, maybe we can work towards a fix.

Why does the 60gb play ps2 games? software?

Correction: People were loading Linux distros onto the PS3, not just any OS. The earlier PS3 models' backwards compatibility came from the PS2 hardware being in the console - Sony took the PS2 hardware out in the later models, thus axing PS2 backwards compatibility.

Besides, considering the complexity of the PS3 hardware, it would take a lot more than installing Linux and getting a PS2 emulator for it to run PS2 games in the PS3.

P.S. Please refrain from gravedigging threads that are a year old.