Best way to make XBMC my default dash

Emu Newbie

Hi,

I got my softmod up and running again (just had to go pick up a copy of splinter cell at my local gamestop). Anyways, I'm not back where I left off. I want to make xbmc my default dashboard (instead of unleash x).

This is what I have tried so far.

Under my E drive, there is a file named evoxdash.xbe . I replaced this file w/ the xbmc default.xbe and named it accordingly. When doing this and rebooting the xbox, this is what the screen says...

XBMC fatal error

T:\guisettings.xml, Line 0

failed to open file

IP address... #

Anyways, I feel that I am on the right track, I guess I need to move another file over to the E drive folder? Let me know. Thanks again for all the support!

Ben

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the error is pretty self explanatory, you didn't copy all the files that come with XBMC, and guisettings.xml is missing. You can't just copy the XBE, you need all the files that come with XBMC too or it won't boot.

And it say's "T:\" because XBMC creates it's own virtual drive for caching I think.

Hi,

I got my softmod up and running again (just had to go pick up a copy of splinter cell at my local gamestop). Anyways, I'm not back where I left off. I want to make xbmc my default dashboard (instead of unleash x).

This is what I have tried so far.

Under my E drive, there is a file named evoxdash.xbe . I replaced this file w/ the xbmc default.xbe and named it accordingly. When doing this and rebooting the xbox, this is what the screen says...

XBMC fatal error

T:\guisettings.xml, Line 0

failed to open file

IP address... #

Anyways, I feel that I am on the right track, I guess I need to move another file over to the E drive folder? Let me know. Thanks again for all the support!

Ben

do you have a folder called dashboard? Unleashx uses a "default.xbe" I think and in my softmodded boxes is in a dashboard folder -the simplest way to get xbmc to boot is just install all the xbmc contents into the dashboard folder so that the xbmz "default.xbe" overwrites the old unleashx one... - hope this makes sense.

You can also use this 'wonderful' executable default.xbe, rename it "evoxdash.xbe" or whatever it must be called and place it where you've found your system is booting the dashboard.

For this to work XBMC folder (keep it as it is) must be placed under E:/APPS/

Good luck !

Edited by Garcimak

Your best and safest bet is to grab the Auto Installer Deluxe (AID), currently floating around on some torrent sites. I think the latest version is 4/5. It comes with XBMC and various other dashboards. It'll let you install multiple dashboards to wherever you specify too, with a shadow Virtual C drive to protect your softmod from any future mistakes you might make.

Then you can update your XBMC any time by downloading the newest version from here.

being as you already jacked everything up once, I second Gavin's suggestion.

To answer a previously asked question - no I don't just have a "dashboard" folder. I guess I will try the AID disc (i already downloaded the torrent and made an iso). If I can't get this to work, i guess I'll copy the xbmc folder over to where the evoxdash.xbe file is. Thanks guys. I'll be sure to try out the new skins too.

Ben

To answer a previously asked question - no I don't just have a "dashboard" folder. I guess I will try the AID disc (i already downloaded the torrent and made an iso). If I can't get this to work, i guess I'll copy the xbmc folder over to where the evoxdash.xbe file is. Thanks guys. I'll be sure to try out the new skins too.

Ben

if aid is in an xiso form then it will boot up.

I don't like those AID discs they are mainly antiquated.

My advice is this.

Get hold of Krayzees Ndure 1.1 This is the best and safest softmod, You can run it over the one you have already installed and it will work fine...

Install this and then in your E:\ drive you will find a dashboard folder. this will have unleash x or evox depending on which dash you choose during the softmod.

Move evox/unleashx to the Apps folder

Now if you check the contents of your T3CH XBMC download and you will find 3 shortcuts...

one has a config and the other is solitary..I forget the name of it..

Take this shortcut and rename it to default.xbe and copy it to the dashboard folder.

Now if you have XBMC in the apps folder restarting the xbox will boot it into XBMC.

This is probably the easiest way and the way i do all of the xboxes I sell.