Newb here need help with Sega cd emu

Hi I'm using Kega Lazarus, and i'm trying to play sega cd, mortal kombat to be specific. I keep hearing about these disc based roms that require you to mount the iso, stuff about bios files, and converting mp3s to wav. i know nothing about any of this. when i go to load up the game it tells to me to configured my USA Bios. no idea what to do from there... from my understanding i have no bios.

First off, use Kega Fusion. Kega Lazarus is ancient and quite frankly, trash compared to Fusion. Lazarus was good back in 2003.

Like MF29 was kind enough to mention, you need to specify what files Sega CD uses as BIOS files for US, PAL and J games in Kega's Options. Of course, each region requires a BIOS file for that region.

here is what i do:

open file --> click on "load Sega CD Image"

browse to desktop --> click the mortal kombat folder

load iso image then this message pops up:

" BIOS not found

Please configure EUR BIOS in OPTIONS -> SET CONFIG -> SEGA CD "

so what do i need to configure?

A BIOS is a program that runs when a computer (or certain consoles) are booted up. A BIOS handles hardware checks and runs certain boot procedures, ensuring that the game will run as it's supposed to on the actual hardware. A computer and consoles that use a BIOS cannot function without one.

Sega CD's BIOS files are a single file for each region, although there are some revisions. What you have is the disc image of the game (ISO), an information files that describes the data in the disc image (CUE) and the redbook audio tracks for that game (WAV), but not the BIOS file for any region.

you need to find the Sega CD US BIOS file (provided that the Mortal Kombat game you have is the US version), and set Kega's Options so that it uses that BIOS file when booting a Sega CD game.

i got the sega cd to boot up MK , but it doesn't load the title screen. i get everything up to the video but it goes black after the video and doesn't work.

maybe i don't have the right bios set up? i don't know. it's pal btw, so many bios files, not sure which one(s) to use.

Edited by zach11

If you haven't changed the filenames of the BIOS files, the PAL BIOS filename starts with "eu". If the game boot properly and you see stuff prior to the title screen, I don't think the BIOS is at fault there.

I could be wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...

Fusion's manual will answer your question. Mount it, make Fusion read from the right drive, boot the CD. Fusion also reads disc images directly bun only in ISO or BIN/CUE format.

P.S. That's what you get for ripping with CloneCD.