Most popular arcade games in Japan for December 2008!

garyoak99

Choppy animation because it's in 3D? Please get a better argument. The only way Sprite work can look fluid is if it's done by hand. Just because a game like say Guilty Gear in 2D doesn't mean it's animations are smooth. It's has terrible animations.

Is this about all vers gg? If so I hope you comparing arcades and not bad ports as imo it has some of the better animations of fighting games.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, but the animations in SFIV are still terrible, and much more noticeable.It's a shame how Capcom went from graphics of 3rd Strike to the garbage that's SFIV.If capcom had actually tried, who knows what might have happened.

It IS cheaper to render into 3D then make 2D sprites. The way SNK is doing is they make 3D models then DRAW over them. Meaning all the animation work will be already done frame by frame and they just draw over it. Even THAT saves money compared to the traditional 2D method of the past.

+ Commenting on how you could improve Third Strike. You technically can't anymore. It has such an even playing field now, and now, 10 years after it's release EVERYONE in the community knows what to do and how to do it. SF4 takes several things from Third Strike and just balance them out for a more Rush Down gameplay, similar to ST. It's going to take 4-5 years (maybe even less now that it's already out) to decode SF4's game to get to the point where we are at with Super Turbo and 3rd Strike. The way 3s is now, wasn't the way to play it 10 years ago.

Is this about all vers gg? If so I hope you comparing arcades and not bad ports as imo it has some of the better animations of fighting games.

Blind as a bat. Both the arcade versions of XX and it's upgrades (#Reload, Slash and Accent Core) are arcade perfect ports. Crap animations and all. The slightest change in character frame data suddenly makes the game not arcade perfect anymore. Guilty Gear (and ArcSys fighting games in general) is notoriously known to have terrible animations. Just because it was done at a higher resolution, doesn't mean the animations are in the same caliber. SF3 series as a whole still holds the record as the most fluid 2D fighting game ever created. No one company has ever matched it (Remy has 41 frames of idle animation alone, compared to Millia Rage, who has something like 16 frames of idle animation).

It IS cheaper to render into 3D then make 2D sprites. The way SNK is doing is they make 3D models then DRAW over them. Meaning all the animation work will be already done frame by frame and they just draw over it. Even THAT saves money compared to the traditional 2D method of the past.

I know that it's cheaper, but they chose a graphical style that directly affects the game.They could have done 2D sprites, and had better animation, but the chose to make it 3D to attract all the people that haven't played a Street Fighter game since 2.The game all around feels like a step back, which IMO is bad.I just hope KoF XII doesn't let me down.

Edited by kokujin

That's what I said when I first played it, but it's grown all on it's own now into something else. It in fact, encompasses more gameplay mechanics then ST and 3s with all it's different variables. So honestly, saying it takes a step back in the gameplay department, means you haven't fully explored it's dept (which at this point in time, is pretty good considering it's been out for a 9-10 months already).

Japan actually prefers VF over Tekken,Tekken 6 is just new right now.Tekken is not deep enough to take seriously.

Oh, really? What source are you basing that conclusion on? Virtua Fighter hasn't been more popular than Tekken since the disaster that was Tekken 4. Virtua Fighter 4 and Evolution proved to be more popular than Tekken 4 because players largely hated how hard it was to launch and the uneven stages. The fact that Sega introduced the customization feature in Evolution also gave their game even more replay value too.

Tekken 5.0 and the subsequent Tekken games simply crushed Virtua Fighter because it went back to what made it so popular in Tekken 3 and it introduced its own customization features too. Virtua Fighter's extremely demanding learning curve is what limits its popularity even among the Japanese population. This is why even Banpresto's Gundam vs. Gundam is listed as being more popular than VF5R in December.

Japan actually prefers VF over Tekken,Tekken 6 is just new right now.Tekken is not deep enough to take seriously.

Oh, really? What source are you basing that conclusion on? Virtua Fighter hasn't been more popular than Tekken since the disaster that was Tekken 4. Virtua Fighter 4 and Evolution proved to be more popular than Tekken 4 because players largely hated how hard it was to launch and the uneven stages. The fact that Sega introduced the customization feature in Evolution also gave their game even more replay value too.

Tekken 5.0 and the subsequent Tekken games simply crushed Virtua Fighter because it went back to what made it so popular in Tekken 3 and it introduced its own customization features too. Virtua Fighter's extremely demanding learning curve is what limits its popularity even among the Japanese population. This is why even Banpresto's Gundam vs. Gundam is listed as being more popular than VF5R in December.

I definitely agreed.

I just hope KoF XII doesn't let me down.

I think KoFXII has already let some people down by featuring the fewest number of fighters in any KoF game. The new sprites do look better in high resolution than the old ones; you can see them in action in this location test footage (HD footage available!):

What do you expect from KoF XII?

Holy smokes, that looks amazing.How many people are in this iteration?Maybe with less people they'll focus on balancing the game.It doesn't look like they added anything gameplay wise, it looks like the KoF games.I expecting KoF XII to play like Garou MoTW or at least some kind of new system, but I am not sure what they're doing.

Edited by kokujin