MameSDL 0.125 Wii versus Mame128Plus Xbox...

Tulius

These are youtube links related to MameSDL in action:

It seems very fast to me... I just needed to see if heavier emu drivers like Taito F3 and Psikyo SH2 systems could run at 60 frames to make a perfect judment...

On a second thought, with Lantus SDL libs could a port to Xbox be more friendly than program with the old Mameox sources? :ph34r:

Edited by Tulius

the compatibility isnt great for a start,it wont load up cps2 roms,neogeo....and the load times can be very long....really there is no point in porting this to xbox as you have most of the games you could want.

ps.and before anyone says what about tekken,ridge racer.......forget it as the xbox is slightly more powerful under the hood than the wii believe or not.

pps. and also with later versions of mame you need a more powerful pc,as newer releases come out mamedev seem to think people have money growing out of their a$$eS to afford the upgrades they need.

oh and another thing you should maybe change the title instead of mame0.843b you should either put mame128,coinops or bendermameox seeing as mame0.84 came out in 2004 and since then cps1,cps2,neogeo drivers were updated to later versions of mame and games like vasara2,raiden fighters2......have been added.

Yes, and the Wii also have 64Mb memory just like the Xbox, but no word about virtual memory, so maybe big roms dont work at all :ph34r: But the 729Mhz PowerPc core is faster than 733Mhz Intel 8086 core isnt it?

and mame relies more on processor than GPU, so I think the only limitator here is the internal RAM... anyway let's see what's the future brings on this side

B)Memory:

88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[86]

3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

Actually has a little more memory because the main ram is not shared

Edited by Tulius

well i dont know about the wii processer being faster but i suppose it always comes down to the skill of the programmer.

do you have a wii yourself?have you tried mame on wii?

Not yet, I waiting for a perfect excuse like that to get one :lol: maybe in two weeks I will see for myself if its worth the trouble :ph34r:

Yes, and the Wii also have 64Mb memory just like the Xbox, but no word about virtual memory, so maybe big roms dont work at all :ph34r: But the 729Mhz PowerPc core is faster than 733Mhz Intel 8086 core isnt it?

Cycle-per-cycle, the PowerPC would destroy the original xbox's crippled Celeron processor.

and mame relies more on processor than GPU, so I think the only limitator here is the internal RAM... anyway let's see what's the future brings on this side

Errrt! Try again! MAME relies solely on CPU.

B)Memory:

88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[86]

3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

Actually has a little more memory because the main ram is not shared

I'm not entirely sure the 24mb of "internal" sram is usable by the cpu. The 3mb embedded surely is not. So you're looking at 64 or 88mb of usable ram. That isn't horrible though, as the wii has flash memory, which is very good for the purpose of a vmm (virtual memory manager). Very fast Seek rates. ^^

All-in all, the wii has a great deal more potential than the original xbox -- however, potential doesn't always mean actual.

The language the original emu is written in matters alot as to how well it performs. SDL isn't very good for Wii yet. As someone who has tried that perticular wii mame I can tell you its not worth using just yet. It runs old old school stuff pretty well if your into that, but nothing else.

The wii scene is booming tho. I got a 16GB sdhc card so I can run full sets of the best console emulators and their almost as good as my xbox. Its early days still... I can't wait to see what happens next.

Red

Cycle-per-cycle, the PowerPC would destroy the original xbox's crippled Celeron processor.

The Gamecube PPC spanks the crap out of that gimped Celeron, it was limited in every other way though.

And MAME isn't solely dependent on CPU. You need a decent amount of RAM to work with for caching ROMs and program code (64MB is VERY limiting here when you look at some of the 90s titles), and a GPU with very little VRAM allows for poor scaling and effects performance (Read some of the documentation on MAMEDEV regarding this).

While an ultra high end video card won't do a damn thing for you in MAME versus an old D3D6/7 capable card, using some POS ancient tech with only 1-4MB VRAM is going to seriously hamper your ability to play anything beyond the classics like Frogger and Donkey Kong.

I think what you SHOULD say, is MAME is mostly/primarily CPU dependent. :lol:

The Gamecube PPC spanks the crap out of that gimped Celeron, it was limited in every other way though.

And MAME isn't solely dependent on CPU. You need a decent amount of RAM to work with for caching ROMs and program code (64MB is VERY limiting here when you look at some of the 90s titles), and a GPU with very little VRAM allows for poor scaling and effects performance (Read some of the documentation on MAMEDEV regarding this).

I pointed that out. ^^ Having flash memory is much better than a hdd though. It has much better seek times which is what you need for a decent vmm.

While an ultra high end video card won't do a damn thing for you in MAME versus an old D3D6/7 capable card, using some POS ancient tech with only 1-4MB VRAM is going to seriously hamper your ability to play anything beyond the classics like Frogger and Donkey Kong.

I think what you SHOULD say, is MAME is mostly/primarily CPU dependent. :lol:

Mame on non-windows systems will blit to any drawing surface they can. Ports to other systems, such as cell-phones, don't require a video card at all -- just something to moves the drawn bitmap into the framebuffer that is displayed on screen. So yes, on pc hardware, it requires that your video card isn't complete trash at moving a drawing surface to the actual framebuffer -- not that mame is taking advantage in any real/significant way of the video card itself (unless you count the stretching that dx does -- which muddles the screen and is mostly garbage). Stretching can be achieved by hooking a monitor up at the proper res/freq's to actually display the output.

if you have dsl(linux) on your xbox could you run sdlmame on it?

anyone tried it?

I didn't try sdlmame itself, but an older version of xmame on xdsl in a 128Mb Xbox.... it really works, but even a simple game like r-type2 doesnt run as fast as in mameox version, so I give up the idea :D