Windows 7 Beta

Gryph

someone had asked if you could install it to an external HDD and boot it from there? You can but you lose a little speed with opening and running things off of it. It's not like media transport from external hdd. All you do to boot the installed OS from external HDD is change your settings on boot order in your bios. If you have a somewhat new PC then it would have USB, or legacy USB in the boot menu. Just put that first before your optical drive, or internals, and it will boot.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really digging W7, I keep finding little things that are cool, like the gesture based windows resizing and docking and the improvements to the taskbar. it once again broke streaming to my 360. I just can't keep that going for more then a week with out something going wrong. I've gotten over it, given up and just play vids from a usb drive now.

I am really digging W7, I keep finding little things that are cool, like the gesture based windows resizing and docking and the improvements to the taskbar. it once again broke streaming to my 360. I just can't keep that going for more then a week with out something going wrong. I've gotten over it, given up and just play vids from a usb drive now.

If you use the Media Center Extender then you can play those avi's, but I found it chewed up a lot of cpu and ram to use it so I just went back to Vista. It was also very unreliable, usually resetting itself and/or forgetting network/sharing settings after a reboot.

I read over at X-S that the old trick of renaming the avi to mp4 allowed the 360 to see the files in normal sharing mode. I didn't get a chance to try this myself before I went back to Vista though.

I've been fighting with 360 streaming for over a year now. I'm over it. I just put em on the thumb drive and keep from pulling out my hair. :)

• 1 month later...

Excited for Windows 7, but not for the wait before a service pack is released for major fixes and updates... like any new Microsoft OS. :shootem:

Still... it looks to be really exciting!

Aero Shake!

• 1 month later...

Um....how do i go back to vista?

ALl my devices' drivers aint working anymore so ill wait till its official, I need it off now, but i never did an OS change before!!!

ALl my devices' drivers aint working anymore so ill wait till its official, I need it off now, but i never did an OS change before!!!

Did you try updating them, chasing down the latest from the manufacturer's site? Every single thing works for me in Windows 7 (build 7077) 64-bit. For ALL of your device drivers not to work is highly unlikely. It would be the same thing if you just installed a clean copy of XP, you'd be missing a lot of drivers then too. It's not necessarily specific to Win7.

Did you try updating them, chasing down the latest from the manufacturer's site? Every single thing works for me in Windows 7 (build 7077) 64-bit. For ALL of your device drivers not to work is highly unlikely. It would be the same thing if you just installed a clean copy of XP, you'd be missing a lot of drivers then too. It's not necessarily specific to Win7.

well my for one, my hp printer isnt working, it that does a OS check before installing,

windows 7 isnt on its list and i checked the site for this hp c4385 all-in-one.

so that one i really checked for!

If it checks for OS then you could try running the installer in XP/Vista compatibility mode. If that fails you could extract the exe to expose the driver files, then go to Device Manager and click on your printer in there. Choose to manually update the driver and then navigate the the driver files you extracted. With any luck it should work. It worked for my Logitech Quickcam.

• 2 weeks later...
If it checks for OS then you could try running the installer in XP/Vista compatibility mode. If that fails you could extract the exe to expose the driver files, then go to Device Manager and click on your printer in there. Choose to manually update the driver and then navigate the the driver files you extracted. With any luck it should work. It worked for my Logitech Quickcam.

I know its a late post, but wanted to ty cuz dat did the trick.

the W7 RC is floating around now. with an official release on the 5th.