SVC Chaos, first impression

mpm100

Maybe it's just me, but this game seems very outdated compared to games 2+ years older than it.

While I can understand the desire for SNK to have put it on Neo Geo hardware, it really shows the age of it... either that, or the game was just a hack job.

The character graphics were relatively decent, nothing spectacular but not as horribly pixelated as some complained. The special moves animated decently well, and the fire effects on the moves that had them seemed to flow nicely. However there are two areas that really irked me:

A) Super move graphics

Yuck. Compare Bison's Exceed with Street Fighter Alpha 3's version of the same move. The SFA3 version looks amazing (nearly crap a brick 1st time I saw it) and the SVC one looks very plain. The alpha channeling on the move doesn't work at all and it is clearly a flicker effect, plus it's so much less grandios (short range instead of full screen, etc.).

:) Finishing move graphics

... of which there are none. Even most KoFs had a red flash at the end of the round. Here you get zip, zero, nada. Not even a big KO sign.

Once you get past the graphics, you get to the gameplay, which unfortunately is worse than its two predecessors. While I'm no big fan of either CvS game (CvS1 = Nakoruru pixie fest, CvS2 = Roll Canceling), both play better than this. Multiple characters have infinites. Zero is basically untouchable by 1/2 the cast, ditto for Goenitz.

A real shame, this could have been at least as good as CvS2, or KoF2k2, both of which have their problems, but are lots of fun until you get really good at them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just me, but this game seems very outdated compared to games 2+ years older than it.

While I can understand the desire for SNK to have put it on Neo Geo hardware, it really shows the age of it... either that, or the game was just a hack job.

The character graphics were relatively decent, nothing spectacular but not as horribly pixelated as some complained.  The special moves animated decently well, and the fire effects on the moves that had them seemed to flow nicely.  However there are two areas that really irked me:

A) Super move graphics

Yuck.  Compare Bison's Exceed with Street Fighter Alpha 3's version of the same move. The SFA3 version looks amazing (nearly crap a brick 1st time I saw it) and the SVC one looks very plain.  The alpha channeling on the move doesn't work at all and it is clearly a flicker effect, plus it's so much less grandios (short range instead of full screen, etc.).

:) Finishing move graphics

... of which there are none.  Even most KoFs had a red flash at the end of the round.  Here you get zip, zero, nada.  Not even a big KO sign. 

Once you get past the graphics, you get to the gameplay, which unfortunately is worse than its two predecessors.  While I'm no big fan of either CvS game (CvS1 = Nakoruru pixie fest, CvS2 = Roll Canceling), both play better than this.  Multiple characters have infinites.  Zero is basically untouchable by 1/2 the cast, ditto for Goenitz.

A real shame, this could have been at least as good as CvS2, or KoF2k2, both of which have their problems, but are lots of fun until you get really good at them.

yeah, I know, I had been telling ppl this since august and still ppl kept getting all excited about it. See! this is what happends when you don't listen to your ole insane pal Weirdy :o

Great first post, welcome to 1Emulation! I agree with you for the most part, I didnt think the game was wonderful, just good.

Keep it up, maybe you should undertake some of our back reviews from the "What game would like us to review?" thread.

I personally thought that SNK playmore did a wonderful job on SVC chaos.

Yeah, the graphics are a little... blah but still, the gameplay is fast as ever B)

I know cats who hella dis the graphics of SNK games, but it's dumb when some take aim at the gameplay. Sure the graphics are old school but never dis the gameplay it's still hecka fast :o

And shiet, I think SNK did a hell of a lot better job than capcom did on this franchise. they ink CAPCOM chars better than capcom themselves with more detail. :)

Edited by -VIOLENCE-

I highly doubt that. The most graphical 2D game SNK ever made was Garou: Mark of the Wolves. Now enters Capcom with the III series. 3rd strike outdid MotW in every way possible, except for maybe coolness.

well, you are right on the coolness part far as best original story and character design capcom can't compete. They've recycled that old boring VEGA too many bloody times i feel like they're the P.DIDDy's of the fighting world.

and the best eye candy neo geo put out would have to be in my opinion Power Instinct Matrimeele.

But shiet for 16-bit they're whippin that ass still :)

The Neo-Geo is going to retire very soon from what I hear. SNK/Playmore has partnered with Sammy to produce all of their new games on Atomiswave hardware. It was nice while it lasted. But i think it's a very nice move considering KoF hasn't been updated since....nope, it hasnt been updated.

YUP! going to be hella cool to see the new stuff :)

They've recycled that old boring VEGA too many bloody times i feel like they're the P.DIDDy's of the fighting world.

^well put. SNK has always had characters w/ tons of attitude and style. for some reason it just doesn't come through in svcplus. and as mpm100 stated, the gameplay feels "outdated" and leaves much to be desired.

When I first played this game, I figured it was going to be like CVS 1 and 2.

There was really nothing special about the gameplay for me. I really just liked the new characters and playing around with them :)

i wasnt really in too high hopes was just glad to play SNK's take on the series.they did a good job to me, while nothing really new was added it was still fun to play. hopefully the new KOF which i heard is being heavily revamped will gove us something to be excited about. overall i give SvsC Chaos an average 3 out of 5.