Hk vs Coinops, Which do you use the MOST?

XtecuterX73

Info needed for data collecting purposes  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 years of development on "CoinOps" and there is not difference from HK's 128 version.

There was a lot of talk about fixing command line launching but that never happened...we still just keep going through a few pixel changes in background images....weak

With Command line launching we get any interface we want and are not subject to "improvements" that are nothing more than background changes.

Please implement command line and quit wasting your time within the old mameox framework wich you claim to dislike. :D

- SF added

- 720p fully usable

- Removed unused players 5-8 configs= more ram ingame

- 90° rotated vertical schmups with rotated key for playing horizontally

Coinops Ignite is my choice.

Removing the unneccessary 5-8 player config is a step forward. There are / is a lot more that needs removing to produce a slick emulator. Even though it works nicely now theres still hang over code from the original mame port. Something im working on myself. Unless one was to use the emulator for deveopment aswell, a lot more functions are defunct. Gaining back this cpu time, hung code and ram could unlock the possibillity of other certain roms !

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name the useless features, Ive removed quite a few yesterday? maybe I can remove more

Havent seen / compiled any of your sources, so couldnt possibly comment on CoinOps. Was trawling through mameox 1.1s and mame 129s.

Didnt vote earlier but for what its worth, this is the best "out of the box" mame emulator on xbox.

Its understandable that advanced users feel its been dumbed down. For my own personal use i feel it has quite a few powerfull options in there and as the builds progress more have been added, honest !

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmmm no real reasons of late to why others are using other builds..... if nough people wanted stuff it would be in Ignite :) but cheers for the support

I'm still unsure for now. After a long time absent, i saw this new emulators and stuff on Xbox and was very excited. After some more time, of course there's some differences, but they are still based mostly on aestethics, gui and front end regarding mame.

I use mostly MAMEoX Version 0.84.3b, not only because i helped testing it, but also because of the functionallity, that in many ways is similar to CoinOPS, with both changing the presentation basically. And i say basically on a end user point of view, not coder or something like that. The skins are different, and the way both present their game list and buttons too, but it's a preference thing and both are very easy to use and to launch games for anyone.

For now, on the presentation side, the way that CoinOPS shows the screenshots and small info of the game by default is cool and better in my opinion, and makes easier for a person to recognize in seconds the games that show up. You can even get those moments like "wow, i remember this game" easier.

The menus seem better on CoinOPS now too, streamlined and functional, even if they are clearly based on what was by default on MAMEoX. And i say better for a 'normal person', not used on emulators and messing with lots of options. But...and now a big but...

For taking most of those options out, you seem to had to do that solution of "put this on TDATA and UPDATA first bla bla" thing by ftp to your xbox and so on. Now, for a emulator with a goal to reach the 'average joe' and make anyone able to play it, that solution seems like a paradox. Unless someone does that for them, don't expect 'average joe' to know how to do that. Heck, even some friends of mine used to emulators don't know how to do that. :D

With MAMEoX Version 0.84.3b at the time, i just did a DVD for me filled with the games i wanted, put on Xbox and voila, ready to play, and that's what most people, the 'average joe' wants and needs.

Now, aside the last detail, that should be looked into it if you want to really please the 'normal people', we have the updating of mame and games, where's the future of CoinOps is for me if you want to really diferentiate it from the other versions of MAME on Xbox. Updating drivers and putting support for new games on, like you've been doing lately, is one of the ways to go, and also trying to update the source code for the later mame builds by the side, to see how it works on xbox and so on.

Putting many graphic filters on i don't see as necessary for example, because we know how Xbox struggles with ram and some games already, so...:lol:

I hope you get this as constructive opinion and criticism, and i'm here to help in anyway i can. :)

Edited by Enkak

ummm there are 1000s plus changes since .84.3b (so many keys, analog controls etc are wrong) but that said I do agree with on the whole I hope you voted for .84.3b

The save is actually gone on new build replaced with a restore settings the same as hidden path settings has now. What drivers need updating in your option........ also I allready have new features in my build sitting on my desktop... rotate only shooter option rotate screenshots if game will rotate option

ummm there are 1000s plus changes since .84.3b (so many keys, analog controls etc are wrong) but that said I do agree with on the whole I hope you voted for .84.3b

The save is actually gone on new build replaced with a restore settings the same as hidden path settings has now. What drivers need updating in your option........ also I allready have new features in my build sitting on my desktop... rotate only shooter option rotate screenshots if game will rotate option

Yeah, i noticed that regarding the controls, and also the new games that we are able to play for the first time in CoinOps, and that's the direction i like most now. After the aestethic and functionality of the controls and save thing, making 'most games' on a playable status is the way to go. And i'm not talking about 3D games, because those aren't easy to run on PC, so even less on Xbox, and i don't care for them personaly, because i prefer to play them on other emulators and not on MAME, that i reserve mostly for 2D and old time classics.

Regarding drivers, i don't know if it's possible, because i'm not familiar with the source codes lately, but i was thinking along the lines to introduce new ones like you did for Raiden games, or putting older ones or hacks to made playable again some games that were broken by the time of MAME 0.84. The hack sound for Midway games that was made and talked here is an example, just like the Double Dragon one, and the Avenging Spirit that i mentioned in other thread, that runs in slowmotion and was good before, or fixed in later versions of MAME PC.

There will be more examples for sure, but i need to get back slowly on MAME and testing first. At the time i 'compiled' a complete build of the 0.94 PC version, where i tested all games, had all the screens, flyers, cabinets, icons and so on of those extra files. So i must get on track with newer versions, to see what's changed, how some games are now, if they are working, broken, fixed, etc.

The goal here is trying to have more options in playable status, since many people will make their own version of CoinOPs regarding the games included in their console/DVD. Everyone has their favorites basically. :D

Again, i say that i'm loving what you're doing, and streamlining the experience for not being daunting for anyone picking an emulator is a goal that i agree heartily. Emulators are the best way to relive and keep memories and history available, and the more people able to enjoy them the better, unless you like things for 'yourself' only. I know it's a point of view many don't agree as saw on this thread, but for me is the way to go, even more on emulators playable on consoles, where people aren't so used to mess with settings and lots of options.

Thx so much again for all the work and answers. I'm looking forward for those new changes you are already testing on your desktop. :lol:

EDIT: Regarding the drivers example:

Picking Avenging Spirit again, as i thought, the slowmotion that appeared on those mame versions was fixed later looking at the history and mame info dat files.

"0.91: David Haywood increased interleave in MegaSys1 driver, fixing speed in Avenging Spirit."

I tested and game runs well again on PC, and these kind of fixes to drivers (using older or new depending of the cases) could be good for other games. :)

Edited by Enkak

i see what your saying cocerning drivrs as i find if a game runs slow and not talking about the midway games here but stuff like avenging spirit,double dragon,narc then a really old biuld like mamex-b6 makes them play at proper speed.

mame 0.61 it was based on IIRC.

coinops is my main emu now mame128 has been knocked on the head as all the features i could want is now in there.

i see what your saying cocerning drivrs as i find if a game runs slow and not talking about the midway games here but stuff like avenging spirit,double dragon,narc then a really old biuld like mamex-b6 makes them play at proper speed.

mame 0.61 it was based on IIRC.

coinops is my main emu now mame128 has been knocked on the head as all the features i could want is now in there.

My idea is that if it's possible to do a combination of those builds regarding drivers, to make all of them playable in good condition on CoinOPS instead of the need for us to use different emulators and builds for them. :D

These are examples of drivers that would be updated....

Sega System 16 games since .84.3b doesn't emulate the sound correctly or have missing voice and fx , but is fixed since 0.90 version

Sega System 24 Alien Storm a missing background layer in first person stages fixed since 0.90 version (?)

Sega System 32 emulation is more accurate in newer mame versions

Namco System 2 driver was heavily updated until now (Dragon Saber, Phelios, Burning Force, etc)