building a new PC

svt_lightning

Stick with the first one. Better power/price and less power consumption than all of the others.

And do go with dual core, they are very much utilized. MAME for instance can run multiple threads now, which can very much utilize a dual core processor better than a single core.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of figured that u were going to tell me to stick with the 2.5GHZ one ya mame has come alone away from what it use to only be. next will be the GPU i wonder if i should stick with the one ATI i showed u a wile ago or go somthing like ur s that crossfires? what are ur thoughs?

You can run the card you picked in crossfire if you buy 2 (or more), but you'll need a different motherboard than the one I suggested and a considerably more powerful PSU. If you really don't plan on playing many PC games, and your main focus is emulation you do not need Crossfire.

That card you picked is more powerful on it's own, than my 2 cards in Crossfire, and most emulators rely on raw horsepower from the CPU and RAM than they do video cards.

I kind of figured that u were going to tell me to stick with the 2.5GHZ one ya mame has come alone away from what it use to only be. next will be the GPU i wonder if i should stick with the one ATI i showed u a wile ago or go somthing like ur s that crossfires? what are ur thoughs?

You can run the card you picked in crossfire if you buy 2 (or more), but you'll need a different motherboard than the one I suggested and a considerably more powerful PSU. If you really don't plan on playing many PC games, and your main focus is emulation you do not need Crossfire.

That card you picked is more powerful on it's own, than my 2 cards in Crossfire, and most emulators rely on raw horsepower from the CPU and RAM than they do video cards.

yes I'm sticking with NES-Dreamcast emulators (hopefully will get dreamcast to work online) no PC games so I was thinking then if the card that I showed you was more then enough then should I get a lower one maybe to save some money or the GPU are not that much pricing?

just wondering why do you have two HDD? one 80GB ATA/133 and another 250GB SATA? different formats?

I'd have more hard drives than that if I had the money. the 80GB PATA (IDE) was in my previous machine, along with another 80GB. That machine now runs my arcade machine and doesn't require the space.

The 250 SATA was purchased later, I store a lot........and so will you if you plan on amassing a rom collection.

The video card is fine, $76 for a video card isn't much, and that will suit you fine. I wouldn't go with less, and you don't really need more if PC games aren't up high on your list.

I'd have more hard drives than that if I had the money. the 80GB PATA (IDE) was in my previous machine, along with another 80GB. That machine now runs my arcade machine and doesn't require the space.

The 250 SATA was purchased later, I store a lot........and so will you if you plan on amassing a rom collection.

The video card is fine, $76 for a video card isn't much, and that will suit you fine. I wouldn't go with less, and you don't really need more if PC games aren't up high on your list.

ok I understand and I will be using or should I say saving lots of roms so I do want a 250GB SATA II just don't know if brand matters

ok I c, let me ask you this then

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&name=512MB

of these GPU which of all of them is the better of the HD4670 ser?

would I still need a 700 PSU or could I go lower?

Factor in hard drive(s), CD\DVD burner any expansion cards (WiFi) case fan(s) etc. 700w is a safe estimate.

We've spent so much time going over hardware, that any more changes in parts are pure choice. If you want to go with a cheaper video card, so be it. Anything near the card you picked will get what you want done.

Hard drive brands are no real issue. Take something from the top 3 and you'll be fine (Western Digital, Seagate or Maxtor).

Factor in hard drive(s), CD\DVD burner any expansion cards (WiFi) case fan(s) etc. 700w is a safe estimate.

We've spent so much time going over hardware, that any more changes in parts are pure choice. If you want to go with a cheaper video card, so be it. Anything near the card you picked will get what you want done.

Hard drive brands are no real issue. Take something from the top 3 and you'll be fine (Western Digital, Seagate or Maxtor).

ok got it I'm find a 700w one and I'm sticking with my GPU the HD4670 one well I wasn't playing on making my PC wireless infact I wanted to use the Land line much faster for online kaillera

ok i have my set up and im going to place the order today I want to thank u for all ur help it was hard but u lead me to what i wanted and the only thing im having trouble is the PSU i was thinking of a coolermaster since my case is that but what a good one for a far price 700W one a course