American's animation potential

Shoma

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anime is crap, white kids (or mexican. black whatever. Lets say non asian) who wish so hard they were Japanese and eat up all that anime and hentai and crap are retards.

Nurato is dumb, pokie tastes like sh!t and Final Fantasy VII is not a very good game.

You Lost me At FF7 not being a good game.....

• 2 weeks later...
I can't wait to see Deadpool in the Hulk vs Wolverine cartoon movie.

why the hell is Deadpool going to be in a wolverine vs hulk cartoon? (it should be wolverine vs hulk vs sasquach

btw Boondocks FTW (i love the crazy kung fu wolf biatch ep)

I like anime but I agree that most of it is crap. Many of them are just fan service which I hate. I agree with Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Bleach and others like it are junk imo.

Does anyone remember the old Flash Gordon cartoons. I thought that style was kinda cool for western animation.

anime is crap, white kids (or mexican. black whatever. Lets say non asian) who wish so hard they were Japanese and eat up all that anime and hentai and crap are retards.

Nurato is dumb, pokie tastes like sh!t and Final Fantasy VII is not a very good game.

Although I dont disagree with what you just said STFU ED HARDY.

Although I dont disagree with what you just said STFU ED HARDY.

what? take your dumb ass back to the body waxing forums. do you even know who ed hardy was before the $60 t-shirts. being called by the name of a legendary tattoo artist is hardly a insult.

WTF is this sh!t!

Anyway...

Potential for good American animation is great... but I have yet to see much of anything. Anime in general sucks. The ones that were good, were more than good, they were great, and the ones that actually passed... barely did so. Case in point. Naruto. They set up alot of possibilities for awesomeness... but they flocked it all up. Just as practically every anime does. DBZ is another good example.

Lets see, good American animation. Justice league of America. That show was pretty good. The old Batman show way back when... when was it, early 90's? I'm sure there are a few more, but thats about it.

With so much crap out there, you may wonder why I say there is great potential. Well we live in a day and age where we can experience any type of media or in general... ideas from abroad... instantly. What we need are visionaries to capitalize on the possibilities.

But from what we (Americans) have... it's slim pickins. Perfect example... X-men. Jim Lee drew that sh!t... he should be shot. I know most everyone thinks Jim Lee is a great artist... I know this is an opinion... but your wrong, he sucks ass. I never really liked his work. His comics were better than the show, I know drawing frame by frame takes alot of time, but damned if I can't stand it regardless. A few years back my friend put on the Avenger movie. I HATE HATE HATE THAT STYLE OF ANIMATION!!!!!! X-men, Avengers. These animations were very very lazy looking. They had no flare.

I could go into further explanation... but that is pointless. To better describe my point, I'll refer to works that set the standard (of good animation) Ninja Scroll... (the movie) The artist is alright, nothing special in terms of detail... but he really made the action look epic. I'm sure there are alot of folks that help, but overall, that is kinda what I want to see when I see anything animated. One technique they used in Ninja Scroll, Was a blur buffer. I'm not sure what the actual terminology is... but they would take 2 animations, then blur the 2 and place that frame in between. Making 2 frames into 3... This saved time, and made the animation smooth. A good technique.

Another movie I liked was Fist of the Northstar. Sure it's old, and quite cheesy. but they used alot of techniques I have never seen since. Obviously I am referring to anyone in that movie that exploded. But more descriptively, when that metal guy got punched through a mountain or two by Raul, then his steel skin cracked and ... I cannot visually describe what the hell happened to him. He got flocked up though... lol. Or in the beginning, when Ken walked through a falling building without slowing down... that was epic. I can watch that movie over and over... It is always awesome. For those who have not seen the Fist of the Northstar animated movie... WATCH IT!

See, DBZ had some great fight scenes, and some pretty crappy ones too. but other than the fighting... the show was a drag. 5 episodes of Goku building up power while they recap the past episodes to fill time. FLOCK THAT!

What we need, is someone with a great idea, alot of someones rather... and someone who would make sure it doesn't get all screwed up like Naruto or Bleach or DBZ. Even accounting for the differences in culture... these shows just plain dropped the ball. Anyone remember Akira? Sure the movie was kinda boring at times, but it represents what Anime should be. Akira really didn't have filler. Neither did FotNS or NS. But has anyone seen those Naruto movies?!?! They suck ass too!!! WTF! How can you mess up a movie production!!!! But it happened. That snow princess movie had alot of time poured into it in terms of detail in motion... but the movie was just as lackluster as the show is. In the show, something awesome happens 2% of the time (and thats generous) but the rest of the time is painful BS. Sure you got to set up the story... but come on. Anyone here seen Plastic Little? I havent seen it in forever... but I remember it being pretty good in terms of anime. What the hell is happening to everyone!!! There is a lack of decent titles. And it rings a familiar tone.

Our games. Someone wants to make a buck and shoves it out the door and it seems like it either didn't have enough time to finish it, or they didn't have a good idea in the first place, and just wanted to make a buck off the mindless consumers. When I buy a game... I keep it forever... I don't make a practice of selling games. I keep them. Because they were good. And that is rare. One day I'll feel like playing it again. Happens all the time. I appreciate good games, and worship great ones. (practically) But since there are so few... I gotta hang onto them.

But I guess you cannot have good without bad. That being said... where are the good American animations??!!??! All we have is a handful. And those are old. We need a revolution. That in turn will inspire others to do better (one would hope) and then we could get some competition going, and actually have an age of decent sh!t to watch... whats taking them so long!!!!????

i much prefered later dragonball over dbz (The Tienshinhan saga was the shiznit)

and Jim Lee is a great comic book artist in my opinion (especially durring his run with the x-men) but i highly doubt his involvement with the xmen cartoon (because durring the time it came out Image Comics was blowing up) and if he was involved in any animation projects it would have probably been the W.I.L.D cats cartoon (since he owns all the properties of the project)

in terms of american animation, i believe its strength does not lie in quality of animation, but in the comedic medium (ala southpark, family guy, ect) sure japanese and korean animators have great action based cartoons, but their crap aint funny!

btw? anyone see Batman Gotham knight? it was awesome!

Amercia can own action cartoons as well...but we've just gotten lazy.

We're making money off crap like ATHF, I think the show is funny, at times...

But ever since we saw crap like sealab 2021 slide, we just said , "well we can still make money and do half the work!"