Thoughts on Earthbound

I started to replay this game since yesterday. I learned that talking to every single person in town, including people within buildings and houses is important. People give you hints inadvertently, and doing this makes the game slightly more linear, if impossible. I was grinding heavily, happily, and wholly before Paula and Jeff came into the picture. I was getting all of the EXP, and when they joined my party, the EXP started to get split between us. It reminds me of Pokemon, where your party'll be on a leveling montage, and from the outcome of a new caught Pokemon, (the no party member left behind policy kicks in), all of the EXP you get will have to be devoted to that new low level Pokemon, to help it catch up with the rest of the party.

That really slowed me down, before I even rescued Paula, I was on level 30. My leveling slowed down as I had to spoon feed them, so they could get on my level. Our levels still don't match now, I'm on level 38, and they are in their twenties. I don't know why they did this, where characters start off on level 1, but that's my minor rant on that. Towns are filled with personality and pizazz, everyone has something meaningful to say, (mostly everyone), but the navigation can grind my gears on occasion. The item limitation is extremely short, cutting off being able to collect many items, I would have to remove one item to hold another item. It gets even more annoying when you're removing food to carry more items.

Since I'm with two other people I can't use my bike, and it grows to be problematic to scour through dungeons just to get all of the way home, to store items, so you'll have enough space to carry about 6 more items. It helps to have other characters collect items for you, but it's inconvenient when Ness doesn't have enough room. The status aliments that can only be exclusively cured by NPCs, are the ones that I loathe. I hate having to return to the Hospital on and off to cure my fellow weak party members. That's all I have to say right now, I probably pointed out more negative aspects of the game than positive, but, let me continue with the game.

With the exception of the first Mother game, you shouldn't shouldn't have to grind very much in order to go further in the game. I, for one, hate grinding which is why I don't play many RPG's. It's so boring doing the same crap over and over.

Just play the game and avoid the enemies that explode.

I was going to say the same as weirdy did. Earthbound requires almost no grinding. It's odd that you had to, it does make the game easier though but it's not a must.

BTW I hope Nintendo gets their act together and releases Earthbound for the NES and SNES on the VC. And we want a new Wii version :)

If anything, grinding to levels makes it harder apparently. As bosses will be your level times their base HP equals total HP.

• 1 month later...
I never got the appeal of the Mother games.........

Hey,you strange non-Earthbound fan! Don't go to Heaven!

(whoever gets it wins 1000 internets)

EDIT: Sorry for bumping

Edited by Mother Eater