new dash leaked.

Inky

via Xbox360Fanboy.com

It took no time at all but the New Xbox Experience has been leaked onto the internet. According to tipsters, someone who was invited to the NXE has made the update available in downloadable form online which -- like all other Xbox 360 dashboard updates -- has the ability to update any console with a USB thumb drive.

If you're thinking of grabbing the update, think again. According to Major Nelson using the leaked update disables Xbox Live on a console until November 19, the actual release of NXE. With Gears of War 2 just around the corner, you wouldn't want to take your console off the grid would you? While no reported bans have been handed down since the leak showed up it isn't hard to imagine Microsoft could take you offline for good. You've been warned.

[update: Major Nelson wrote on his twitter, "If you get your hands on NXE and you are NOT in the Preview Program. You won't be allowed on LIVE." We will not be linking any websites with information or links to download the NXE - hence the replacement of Major Nelson from the original source in this story. Users who leave links to such content in the comments will have them swiftly removed.]

I've been itching to try this all day. I don't really care about live, so I could live without it for 18 days but I do stream movies from my PC all the time and I hear this update breaks that. so I am still hesitant. avatars don't work due to you have to be connected to live to create them. Obviously the netflix service won't work either.

I installed this yesterday and it does indeed break streaming and the divx/xvid update. I didn't realise how much I would miss this until it was actually broke. Luckily I still keep my Xbox1/XBMC by my side.

Really I only tried it to see how much difference playing games off the hdd would make. Not a lot..

The dash itself looks nicer and it seems a little easier to navigate but that's about it. I can't see what all the fuss was about? Maybe it's geared towards those who actually use Live and the Marketplace etc.

Really I only tried it to see how much difference playing games off the hdd would make. Not a lot..

Man, disappoint to hear this as I am hoping to see improvements on game's performance like MC:LA. :(

Man, disappoint to hear this as I am hoping to see improvements on game's performance like MC:LA. :(

I've heard reports both ways. infact a read a report that MC:LA was vastly improved. but other games are only small improvements.

I've also read that transcode360 takes care of the codec issues. but tversity (what I use) does not.

I haven't played a game on live since august, so I think I can handle 17 days without. I will prolly install it this morning.

I went ahead and did it. it looks nice and seems to be faster. I installed Fallout3 on the HDD. it seems to load alittle faster but nothing staggering. still haven't got transcode360 working.....

Those texture loading problems are almost certainly a result of an iffy burn/media. I have an original GTA4 and a backup. The backup randomly loads roads, buildings etc when it feels like it. I installed that copy to the HDD and it plays perfectly now.

I went ahead and did it. it looks nice and seems to be faster. I installed Fallout3 on the HDD. it seems to load alittle faster but nothing staggering. still haven't got transcode360 working.....

I didn't spend enough time playing F3 from disc to notice any differences from HDD, though GTA is smoother and it definitely helps with Oblivion too. I'm pretty content with having 2 games installed as I thought it would only fit 1. I might not even bother with the 120GB drive now.

loading from the HDD smooths out fable 2 as well. no more 2 second pauses when pressing start to go to inventory. to bad I am finished with that one. I seen some one on Xbox-scene reporting on older games like Prey and such, load times are almost 1/2 with those older titles, prolly due to newer titles have the disc loading optimized pretty well.