RessurectionXtras (Work in Progress, Tons Already Done)

ressurectionx

New Sega Master System/Game Gear/SG-1000 update released. Vids should be up shortly. The datfiles and artwork are already up. Click the banner below.

Question do you ever sleep???? :banghead:

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Sega Master System/Game Gear/SG-1000 update released. Vids should be up shortly. The datfiles and artwork are already up. Click the banner below.

Question do you ever sleep???? :lol:

Haha............................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

No

well i hope you get some sleep cause all your work is mad appreciated and we need you to stay healthy and alive! such ridiculously huge, grueling, repetitive, probably boring tasks that make everybody's emulation life better :) THANKS!

currently im trying to get everything in place. (got nes, snes, and genius vids working :))

quick question do the synopsis work yet? in which emulator? how? i put some in mednafenx's emu's cause i read they would work in those and couldn't get them to work.

Thanks Dballs,

Yeah. Tons of work here man. So many mind numbingly repetitive tasks for probably over 10,000 individual roms now.

It really is a ridiculous project, and I'm just very grateful to have had all the help I've gotten so far.

Let's just say that I have more than my share of beer to get me through it all. :)

The cool thing now though is that I've found a very real interest in updating the artwork packs to have GREAT quality boxart. I've collected a lot of artwork from HD sources such as thecoverproject and HyperSpin and with my own collection I've compared the quality of each of these alternate sets to my own and replaced each game with the best boxart available. I'm actually really enjoying then going through the remaning boxarts and touching them up by hand to bring them up to speed. The big offenders so far are LYNX and 2600, which still had tons of really shabby looking boxart. I think the personal touch-ups look great.

Plus we've now got Gilles' Generic Boxarts for about 10-12 systems which fill in all the blanks so all games will have boxart representation.

Lots of new stuff coming out around late February or March. Can't wait to share it all.

Later,

~Rx

Hell no I didn't. If I knew I'd still be doing this at 30 when I first bought that Box from my brother when I just turned 27 I would have thrown that Box into the abyss before ever modding it. It eats up such a large portion of my life now.

That's a really good question though man. I'm surprised nobody ever asked me that before.

Actually, it was a very small project at first. I figured I'd just do title shots for all of the games for NES, SNES & Genesis. I was just testing all the games I could, making a title shot if they worked and deleting the game if it didn't. There was no documentation and no plans at all to do anything public at that time. Somewhere along the line I decided I wanted boxart and action shots as well, and possibly carts when I could find them.

It wasn't until NES got video previews working on the ZSNESXBox that I decided that I had to have them and Horscht, a few others and I worked together testing and making videos for that system.

Gilles and Madmab came up with the synopsis idea and that project has just gotten out of control from there. I'm able to crank them out so much quicker than we originally were doing and it's a great way for me to verify that I have all the roms in the correct categories along the way.

Can't remember when I decided to do the other systems, but somewhere along the line I decided that I would do this job until every console emulator supported by XPORT would have full Xtras and synopsis.

Thanks to you and all of the others who have in the past and currently are helping make that dream come true, and are constantly working to improve all aspects as we go along.

It is such a large task, yet very satisfying too i presume.

The end pay off has got to be user grattitude surely.

I wasnt convinced of the ResXtras at first as i thought about space needed

and serious performance issues. Yet im now a convert. There are no performance issues.

The extra artwork seems to compliment the whole package. Gilou/Gilles skin (very polished)

seems to be the glue between MadMab's changes to the Xport emulator's and the ResXtras packs.

I have read some of your stuff and see you intend on upgrading some of the packs after xmas / new year

to HQ stuff. Isnt this a drag as youve been down that road once before (collecting initially).

It is very gratifying actually. Until recently, I've kept this to myself as far as friends and family for years except for my brother. We had a poker game a few weeks ago though and my old supervisor was blown away by what I showed him and said he'd have to get me a couple of hundred bucks for one. I told him that I plan on giving one to my friends when I'm done and for 5 years he'd been a great boss and friend to me and he doesn't know it but he's on that list. Wish he was still the Sup.... too many things are changing too quickly.

It's just cool seeing somebody's reaction to this outside of my own. I've been living with these changes as they've happened and it doesn't have as big an effect on me one minuscule bit at a time as it would if somebody popped this stuff off on me all at once.

It's kind of a bummer when I have to re-do things like I'm re-doing the Boxart now, but once I've resigned myself to doing it and I start seeing how much more amazing the changes look to what we had before I think it's totally worth it.

Really, with a good set like HyperSpin it's not so bad. Also MM?, pCe and others have taken it upon themselves to collect, crop and convert many of thecoverproject's images so they're just as easy to work with. I'd say, all in all, with a boxart set of around 800 images, it only takes me about 10 hours to integrate them into the set. I do thourough checks between this new artwork and my own collection before adding each individual picture to assure the highest quality all around. (If you're going to do it, do it right.... right?)

The big time waster is touching up boxart myself. (It's really kind of therapeutic though). I'm not a graphic artist by any means, but I have to admit that I'm very pleased with the work I've done on my front with this. Somebody may say they can do better though and I welcome it. I'm never opposed to adding higher quality artwork than what we already have and that includes anything I've worked on on my own. It's just cool going through the Atari 2600 boxart now and not seeing a beat up box every 8 images, or ones with stickers on them.

Thanks for upgrading the videos for Genesis Cbagy. Those were definately the worst batch in the entire set at the moment and your videos are some top notch additions that I'm proud to make a part of the Xtras. They really look great on the bigscreen TV.

Thanks of course to everyone who has helped. There are so many names that I can't keep them all straight now, but that's what the spreadsheets are for.

Also, in the end if I forget anyone I implore you to call me out either in my thread or in a PM letting me know that you did something and you didn't get credit for it.

Sure... I want my friends to be blown away by this work since they've been wondering just what the hell I've been obsessing over the last 3 or 4 years (the last year and a half especially), and I really want them to think that it's something great. As far as internet glory.... yeah, it would be kind of cool seeing "RessurectionXtras" become a hit and even make the leap to other platforms one day, but in the end I love my anonymity far more than any kudos for this project beyond my own personal real life loved ones.

I really mean it when I say "we're OCD so you don't have to be". Like Monk said.... it's a blessing and a curse... and a blessing..... and a curse..... and a blessing.....

I hope the first OCD guy or gal who stumbles upon our work when this is completed uses it, loves it, and moves on. I'm sure there are much more valuable things that somebody with a mind like mine could be doing with their time. The way I figure it is if 100 OCD people were to acquire and use these sets in the end, I've just freed up 400 or 500 years of peoples lives that would be better spent.

Here's hoping that they're good guys and working on fixing the world and not dark hearts that the world would have been better off if they were busy working on this themselves alone for the next 20 years.

Thanks for being interested Cbagy.

Ain't it funny how we were beating each other up about 5 weeks ago and we're buds now?

Ahhhhhhhh... reminds me of my frequent high school bouts. Not a bad way to make friends, I'd say.

Glad to have you on board bud :)