Is 360's Red Ring of Death finally fixed?

Alpha

New Xbox 360 models have been spotted using upgraded components, said to make the infamous Red Ring of Death a thing of the past.

The newest 360s are fitted with new 'Jasper' motherboards, says a report on Joey Gadget, as well as a new and improved graphics chip.

The upgraded components are smaller and emit less heat, according to the techies, which in turn should mean no more red lights on your 360, and less postman visits to send your console off to Xbox repairs.

To be honest, we've not experienced or heard of anywhere near as many RRoD incidents over the last year anyway (apart from our launch office 360 which died last week and is now being used as a prop to raise Gav's monitor).

The problem behind the infamous 360 hardware failures, which cost Microsoft $1 billion in warranty extensions, has never been officially disclosed.

According to Gartner analyst Bryan Lewis though, the defect was down to Microsoft's decision to manufacture the 360's graphic chip itself, rather than paying a third party.

If you're keen to find one of the new 'Jasper' 360s, you should look for a manufacturing date as early as June 8, 2008, 'Lot 8031' and up, and 'Team CSON' on the back of the console - though you'll probably have to bribe the bloke behind the counter to see it.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198283 ..... and Digg

To answer the question .... yeah, I don't think so. Until there is an official announcement by Microsoft that the issue has been fixed, I think it'll continue to repeat no matter what type of hardware they're using. The samething happened with the Falcon boards and when the XBOX 360 Elite came out. Just wait and see. :naughty:

To answer the question .... yeah, I don't think so. Until there is an official announcement by Microsoft that the issue has been fixed, I think it'll continue to repeat no matter what type of hardware they're using. The samething happened with the Falcon boards and when the XBOX 360 Elite came out. Just wait and see. :naughty:

I got the RRoD last week and it scared me badly, with mine being flashed. I waited half an hour and turned it back on and it worked ok. It is well ventilated, in the shade, nothing within a foot of it all the way around, and I only have it on for maybe an hour or two at a time. Mine has the Falcon board too.

Falcon...

Well my buddy has had no problem... RRoD that is. But BUT... on his demo for Force Unleashed... it would skip frames in two places... looked like lag... where as another friend's didn't skip at all.

When the time comes to buy my 360... I swear Ill smash my controller to bits if I ever get a RRoD... But I'll spare the system... got to get it fixed... right?

it costs literally 12 cents to fix the RRoD. if you are modding your console just perform the penny fix to preempt any problems.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=606431

this works I did it on my RRoDed 360 over a year ago, never had a problem since.

• 1 month later...

i still have my first xenon from way back and never had any issues. I bet microsoft wasnt betting on all these rrods and the jokes and shirts and everything going around.

My concern is why sell a product that at first you know has heating issues, they had all the time in the world to address this issue, maybe they just don't care.

HF-