Report: Next-Gen Wii HD Due by 2011

Alpha

Nintendo is beginning to present its next generation hardware, dubbed Wii HD, to game developers and publishers, according to a report from What They Play.

Said to be "far more than a simple refresh of the current hardware," sources tell the site that the Wii HD is being billed as the true successor to the Wii and should launch by 2011. That fits with the predictions of key industry figures, who expect the next generation of consoles, including the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720, to arrive by 2012.

Along with support for high definition resolutions, the new system is expected to sport backwards compatibility and a focus on digitally distributed content. Sources also indicate that Nintendo is once again placing special emphasis on the controller.

While these may seem like the ramblings of a no-name site attempting to gain traffic, especially as Nintendo is tomorrow throwing a a press event while word of a revised DS circulates, What They Play was co-founded by former EGM editor-in-chief John Davison. A long-time industry veteran, Davison also penned the report.

Davison further notes that something major is in the works at Nintendo, as the company has more than tripled its research and development costs since the Wii launched in 2006, with the company spending $370 million on R&D in 2007.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55023 .. thanks to Digg

My goodness .... we have to wait that long for some true high definition experience? I think Nintendo is starting to realize they made a big mistake by underpowering the console. Sure, the quantity of games for the Wii are filling the shelves, but also with a lot of crap (games). When I think about it these days, I think they were only trying to duplicate the success of the Nintendo DS, since it doesn't have the same graphics power as the Sony PSP, and has top notch games. However, the last good game that came out for the Wii was Mario Kart IMO. Absolutely depressing.

The Wii is having a bit of a drought on quality games, but I couldn't care less about the "high definition experience". I intend to buy a PS3 soon, but only to play a game that's primarily two dimensional. Fancy ass 1000$ hardware is NOT needed for a quality game, and I really wish people would stop vomiting out hardware we don't need.

They took a risk and it paid off. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks, they've made the money and look at it. Besides, it sounds about right, it's been 2 years since the Wii came out and it looks like it isn't stopping the money train it's made. You say it like 2011 is NEXT year when in reality it's only a few years away. You know, 5 years AFTER the release of the Wii. Which sounds about right for a console generation.

Wii HD, that sh!t better not be a Wii with a HD adapter plugged into the back.

Seriously Nintendo, I have, single-player wised, so far enjoyed a number of games on your console that I can count on my one right hand, and multi-player wise, enough to count on my left.

Give me a reason to buy your next-gen !

Seriously Nintendo, I have, single-player wised, so far enjoyed a number of games on your console that I can count on my one right hand, and multi-player wise, enough to count on my left.

I take it you've enjoyed more on other systems? I'm legitimately interested in hearing what you enjoyed on the PS3, as I haven't seen much personally and want to justify my purchase.

I take it you've enjoyed more on other systems? I'm legitimately interested in hearing what you enjoyed on the PS3, as I haven't seen much personally and want to justify my purchase.

For the PS3, lol, well here are the games I play on the PS3 when I go over my friends house that currently has one.

Virtual Fighter 5

Soul Calibur 4

MGS4 (If time relapse's I'll probably end up beating this at his house)

Rock Band

yup, that's pretty much it, that's all we play, he has his own tastes, I tried out WarHawk and Resistance but both failed to suck me in, but in systems line-up, I will still put the Wii ahead of the PS3

--------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Wii, here's what I've gotten out of it so far

Smash Bro's (awesome game, but only awesome when you have 3 other friends over, if your isolated atm, do not touch this game you'll be bored within an hour)

Zelda

Okami

Wario Shake it

I've also tried Mario Kart but I've never been a fan, and DDR 1/2 for the Wii, yea, the song selection is lacking major, I actually regret buying both of them (PS2 versions were better).

(When it comes to downloads, I've only enjoyed Megaman 9 1/2 , and Ocarina)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff that I enjoyed at one time or another with my X360 or another X360

Rock Band / Guitar Hero

Gears of War

Halo 3 (if you be-little me because I enjoy a good game your obviously a retard, go away fan-boy)

Blue Dragon (Ran through the demo shortly before selling my system :) )

Call of Duty 2/4 (never played 3)

CrackDown

DOA 4

Dead Rising

(Yea I'm going to stop here because I can go on for a fair amount of time)

I really wonder why here are that much Nintendo hater since the Wii Launch. Most of you guys seem to only judge the Wii on his gfx power, but never really tried to play it.

It's a great console and brought back the fun I was missing for a long time. It's a great new gameplay and playing experience.

Just look at the last 2 generations: Sony always had the baddest hardware and gfx power, but won the last two wars.

Now Nintendo do the same and all are moaning. I don't get it.

Okay, it's a big difference between Wii and PS360, but it's jsut because they jumped from the SD games to HD Games.

Just look at the HD games on a normal TV and it isn't that much of a difference.

Nintendo is already working with the patent of a new medium, the HVD, so it could probably be used in the next generation aswell.

I am not brought up to like Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros or whatever. The only game that Nintendo brought about that I really enjoyed and played to death is Mario Kart 64 (yes, I DO have an original 64 with the cartridges sitting in my house).

I look at Wii's games and see none of the game that I really want to play, or have friends to play together with. On X360, I can really enjoy slew od good single player game or enjoy some multiplayer's goodies like COD4.