Yamaha’s Exoskeleton Motorcycle: The Deus Ex Machina

Krosigrim

Popular Science

deusexmachina01yj3.jpg

deusexmachina02jh4.jpg

Well I saw this in a Popular Science magazine today... Of course my eyes almost popped out of my head for a split second. This is a conceptual design from Jake Loniak. I guess he was a fan of Deus Ex... but he will have to change the name... if and when they decide to begin actual designs.

“This isn’t fantasy,” he says. “It’s a green vehicle, and all of the numbers are based in the real world.”

deusexmachina03dh8.jpg

36 pneumatic muscles (artificial muscles made by the German company Festo that inflate or deflate to change the direction)... / /...It's powered by lithium-ion batteries and ultracapacitors and capable of hitting 75 mph. “I never envisioned this as a commuter,” he says. “This is a sport bike.”

It seems too over the top to come to fruition, but you know what... I think it's high time we take another turn. Years ago a car that ran on electricity was laughable. Now look. Hybrids and the like actually have a market. Sure this is not even practical... but cool as hell!!! I mean... a semi robotic bike? Artificial muscles... Would anyone ever believe it... until they saw it? Well all the technology currently exists. All they need is the go-ahead... with some funding. This is no joke...

The transportation program at the Art Center College of Design has produced legendary car designers, including BMW chief of design Chris Bangle and Henrik Fisker, the creator of the Fisker Karma electric supercar.

deusexmachina04zt8.jpg

If I had money top burn, Id buy one! Here is a video that was attached on the site... it's real basic... but at least you get to see the concept in motion... what they intend it to do. (2/3 into the clip)

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Dangerous? You bet. Awesome? Check! Reality? Who the flock knows... but id sure as hell would like to see it made!

Edited by Belthasar

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EH.

It's pretty cool I guess. He's got a wonderful concept but umm...it looks kinda goofy. You wouldn't see me riding in that thing. :(

But... ok I can agree... it is on the silly side. But a robotic looking transport? I like where he is going. Totally impractical... yes. Hmmmmmm perhaps a motorcycle that transforms to an armored suit... like that old anime, what wa... Bubble Gum Crisis?

This would totally allow for much weaving through (and under) traffic. Also many deaths. I want one.

Yeah, good luck with that. My bike is barely wider than I am, this thing looks to be 2/3 the width of a small car.

I'd ride circles around this thing.

This would totally allow for much weaving through (and under) traffic. Also many deaths. I want one.

Yeah, good luck with that. My bike is barely wider than I am, this thing looks to be 2/3 the width of a small car.

I'd ride circles around this thing.

But can your bike drive under a truck? :)