Nintendo announces new dual-touchscreen DSi, "DSi Shop" content store

Alpha

dsizz3.th.jpg

As expected, Nintendo just announced the DSi at its fall presentation -- and it's got dual touchscreens. The company is calling it a "third platform," which means it's complementing the existing DS Lite, not necessarily replacing it. Lookswise there's not much different, but it's some 12 percent thinner, partly because it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot. The touchscreens are also slightly larger, at 3.25 inches, and there's an external three megapixel camera, and a front-facing camera located on the hinge. There's an SD slot and internal storage -- we're not sure how much at the moment, but photos can be taken directly to the Wii Photo Channel on the card. Nintendo's also launching an online DSi Shop, which will sell content directly over WiFi, including a free browser app and "DS Ware" game -- and you'll be able to get on for free at "Nintendo Zone" hotspots, which will be located in Japanese McDonalds. The store will take the newly-renamed Nintendo Points, 1000 of which will come free with the DSi until March 2010 and content will be priced in 0 / 200 / 500 / 800 point brackets. ¥18,900 ($178), launching in Japan on November 1st in black and white -- the rest of us will have to wait until next year.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/02/nintend...ounces-the-dsi/

»» View Gallery

Sooooo.... what do you guys think?

Sucks. Did not pique my interest at all. I own a DS Onyx Black before and it managed to hold my interest for 2 weeks. The stylus gameplay can only hold on you so much before you long for some old school style of gameplay. And I am a graphic whore. Comparing it with PSP big screen which show more beautiful pixel, heck, no comparison. But this just me.

Amazing, but if they were gonna go so far as to make a new handheld they might as well changed the whole look of it.

ANd, well....how will it not replace the ds??

It may make homebrew a whole lot easier now as well, but I feel friggin dumb saying, "SAY CHEESE" while holding a DS.

Pure casual market bullsh!t.

They might as well have added Cell Phone applications to the thing, if they want to print money they have to do it the right way! It's not like they're not going to loose the market of hardcore, no way.

Give me gameboy 08 damn it, screw the DS, that things horrible to play on anyway(I've had DS's drop on me a million times because the game required D-Pad + Stylus gameplay, it's worse then games that depend on the Wii-Mote for accuracy!)!

How many redesigns have Nintendo done now? Is this the third?

The number of PSP redesigns doesn't seem too far behind.

It's sad to hear about the GBA slot removal, it would better for them to install full backwards compatibly with GameBoy Color, Gameboy, and Advance games.

It's sad to hear about the GBA slot removal, it would better for them to install full backwards compatibly with GameBoy Color, Gameboy, and Advance games.

That would require putting more processing chips in side, which means a bigger board, the DS board is on the bottom half, the flip monitor portion for the most part only contain the screen, speakers and the camera. Not as much as the bottom portion. Also means we'd pay more for the DS.

That would require putting more processing chips in side, which means a bigger board, the DS board is on the bottom half, the flip monitor portion for the most part only contain the screen, speakers and the camera. Not as much as the bottom portion. Also means we'd pay more for the DS.

I appreciate that technological analysis. It makes since, but I still want. :D