New Nintendo DS announced, currently for Japan

Gryph

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=54965

Nintendo has announced that it will release an upgraded model of its popular handheld, the Nintendo DS. Featuring a camera, music playback and more modernized features, it will come to market in Japan this year at a price not far above the current model.

According to reports from Japanese-language newspapers Yomiuri and Nikkei Net, pictures taken with the camera will be usable in games released for the system. Meanwhile, it is predicted that CDs and other music will be able to be imported onto the DS for playback.

The Wi-Fi antenna currently in use for multiplayer gaming is set to get a power boost, as well. The new wireless technology under the hood will be used to "more easily access news" and other up-to-date information such as weather.

The upgraded DS will be released in Japan this year at a price of "under 20,000 yen" ($189). For reference, the current DS sells in Japan for 16,800 yen ($159).

I wants this....

I still have an old model. I never upgraded... as I just don't want so many games for it. So why bother. Besides, I have big hands, and liked the feel of the old one. I was going to replace the screens, and have a hybrid... if that is possible... but never got around to checking into it.

Anyway, I wonder how this new model will look. I'll not likely get it, but I think it's great, how Nintendo has managed to keep afloat for so long on their hand held market. But remember the camera and printer for the GBC way back when?

I'm going to be pissed if this WiFi upgrade turns out to be a B/G capable chipset.

I hate having to set my router to accept B connections and use WEP to be able to use my DS, so much that I simply don't go online with my DS.

I wonder if it's possible to run the WiFi card on my desktop, where my internet connection is rooted, in Ad-Hoc/Infrastructure mode so I can connect directly to the desktop with my DS, while still having the desktop connected to the router. I would imagine not, with a single radio/antenna............might have to put one of my other WiFi cards in there just for the DS.

I hate to say it, but it just seems like they're adding stuff that the PSP has already so that they can try to compete better with it. I just don't see it working now, as PSP owners have had these capabilities for quite some time now, and anyone that was looking for a handheld to do these sorts of things would have probably just bought a PSP by now.

I hate to say it, but it just seems like they're adding stuff that the PSP has already so that they can try to compete better with it. I just don't see it working now, as PSP owners have had these capabilities for quite some time now, and anyone that was looking for a handheld to do these sorts of things would have probably just bought a PSP by now.

I agreed, and PSP already spotting better graphics, bigger screen, better music player, and more powerful to run homebrews/emulators.