Job Searching

Krosigrim

Yep, I hate online applications, sure it is more convenient but I and no one else I know has had luck getting hired with an online application alone. except for my wife, she was hired at walgreens with an online app. she was called in for an interview within a few days too, with no real skills or experience to speak of at the time. so I guess it does work sometimes.

I prefer the in your face approach too. I can tell you that Security companies are ALWAYS hiring. so if it comes down to it, its always an option. and you can get lucky and end up with a decent paying position.

I wouldn't suggest going into security. I am a Security officer and I can tell you that it's not worth it. You're not guaranteed to get a "G" license (for a gun..of course) unless the company who hired you has a client that needs that much security (ie airports, car dealerships etc.). You have to take a class that lasts one to two weeks (some are free depending on company) then waste gas, then pay $100 to have your picture taken, FBI background check and whatnot. The security jobs here average to $8.50/hr with ridiculous schedules. You have to pay $80 every two years (and moreso if you have a "G" license) to keep it current. Not to mention you have to deal with self righteous old fools who think because they're wearing a uniform they have as much authority as a cop. For that much pay, crappy benefits and dumb people, it's not really worth it in my opinion.

you need to make friends with the scheduler. :rolleyes:

hahaha perhaps.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This damn resume! I am currently forming THE resume for this job. I have many relevant experiences and skills for the jobs available. One problem I'm having, is time frame for phone sales. It happened so long ago. Then I have the customer service I have preformed by all my other jobs. Do I put all of my jobs... or put the relevant skills I honed from non relevant jobs. The ladder is what I am working out, and I'm sure it will look great... I just don't want too much non relevant information. I am at a very rough place still in its creation.

OK.. I need this revised. It is a broken sentence too, so that doesn't help.

Excellent communication skills demonstrated by the ability to work with others in many fields.

Intent is right, but "many fields" needs to go. I need something more... more... descriptive. I'm going for "overall job experience"

OK.. I need this revised. It is a broken sentence too, so that doesn't help.

Excellent communication skills demonstrated by the ability to work with others in many fields.

Intent is right, but "many fields" needs to go. I need something more... more... descriptive. I'm going for "overall job experience"

Hmmm...

You could say : "Able to provide effective communication skills within the workplace."

or something like that.

Hmmm...

You could say : "Able to provide effective communication skills within the workplace."

or something like that.

Well I don't really know about that... it feels like filler. Of course... my line there is lacking too. I appreciate the input though.

Edited by Belthasar

employers know that a resume is 70% bull crap anyways. I go with a skill based resume and really try to poor it on and sell with the cover letter. the cover letter is the key in my opinion.

I have been going to face to face resume handing in and talking to mangers for the past month and a bit (going twice a week on mondays and fridays) yet to get a call back (Im 19) I always ask to speak to the manager (even if online and let them know my name and so on) and tell them im available 9-5 weekdays and im fine for weekend work, they always sound promising but never get a call, I go back to some of the places and all I hear is 'we will get in touch with you if something opens up' or 'there was someone more suited for the job' . I redid my resume on sunday and getting it printed at my dads work today (should have them for me for my friday hand out session). Just gotta keep at it, its annoying as.

(EBgames pretty much laugh at me, all 6 I have applied to).

Now my girlfriend, I went with her 3 weeks ago handing out resumes (waiting at the front, holding her other resumes) she went to a handful (maybe 12 stores) in 1 day, by the end of the week she had 3 offers for full time and another for part time, females seem to find work easier.

Its really about who you know, not what you know, you need to know people who work there / manage you get your foot in the door. Pain in the ass.

I have been going to face to face resume handing in and talking to mangers for the past month and a bit (going twice a week on mondays and fridays) yet to get a call back (Im 19) I always ask to speak to the manager (even if online and let them know my name and so on) and tell them im available 9-5 weekdays and im fine for weekend work, they always sound promising but never get a call, I go back to some of the places and all I hear is 'we will get in touch with you if something opens up' or 'there was someone more suited for the job' . I redid my resume on sunday and getting it printed at my dads work today (should have them for me for my friday hand out session). Just gotta keep at it, its annoying as.

(EBgames pretty much laugh at me, all 6 I have applied to).

Now my girlfriend, I went with her 3 weeks ago handing out resumes (waiting at the front, holding her other resumes) she went to a handful (maybe 12 stores) in 1 day, by the end of the week she had 3 offers for full time and another for part time, females seem to find work easier.

Its really about who you know, not what you know, you need to know people who work there / manage you get your foot in the door. Pain in the ass.

About EB... My friends and I are game FREAKS! As well we all are. Well NONE of my friends ever got hired... ever. What the hell? How many times have I seen an inept employee fumble with general game knowledge! I once asked a guy what he thought about Torok. Not the first one. Anyway, he went on about how good it is. Of course I didnt buy it, but weeks later, I read how it made the worst game of the year. I know the point is to make sales... but he didnt know jack about the game, but still tried to hype it up. Thats what they want apparently. There are some great guys and gals out there though... but still. That asshat got a job, where none of us have.

Anyway. It is true... who you know and what not... but this is a numbers game. The more you advertise, the more potential buyers you have... you being for sale in this case. Well initially, you seem to have the right idea... get in their face. But I wonder... what are you aiming for? Everything? or are you being picky? Well... I would suggest pestering the crap out of the jobs you want. But sometimes that just doesn't work. Do whatever fits you.

How many resumes have you submitted? estimate... Well don't let it get you down. Have a positive attitude. I have been hired twice on the spot. Right place right time I guess. Like I said... numbers game.

It definitely helps to know people. I got my current gig being good friends with a manager, with in 6 months here I am making good money to sit on the internet all night, lol. of course I had to prove myself to the other managers first,