Job Searching

Krosigrim

I have submitted applications all over the place. Now I tried to call them and touch base, but all they ever give me now and days, is "we are reviewing the applications, and may call you back." Now no one likes to be called. And now and days, everything is done online. But When I actually walk in and speak to the manager directly, it is a different story.

I am in their face, and I cannot be ignored. I ask for the manager, and wait. "how can I help you" I say that I have submitted an application, and am touching base as to the current situation. Since I am in their face, they see that I am actually looking to get hired, as opposed to just hoping I get a job. They see someone who wants to work. I force them to actually fill me in, as I am not just some voice on the phone. When I speak to them on the phone, (managers) they don't even ask my name, I am just 1 in 100 applicants. But when I am in front of them, they have no other choice but to actually talk to me, instead of brush me off.

I am still home at this hour, as I am waiting to leave here and hit the road. I cannot afford to go into these places all sweaty. I do not have a car (it was demolished) so I either have to walk... walk to the bus and wait forever... or get a ride. Since the schedule works out well for getting a ride, for now this is what I will do.

I have an appointment at converges, which is still unset. That is the job I am aiming for, but I will take the best offer I get for now, even if that means I gotta leave them next week. I just dont care, and the greater good must be accomplished. I will not fail, as I will continue to try no matter what may come. Failure is defined truly by "one who gives up" So there... Flock you world, I will be heard, and I will not be denied!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I hate online applications, sure it is more convenient but I and no one else I know has had luck getting hired with an online application alone. except for my wife, she was hired at walgreens with an online app. she was called in for an interview within a few days too, with no real skills or experience to speak of at the time. so I guess it does work sometimes.

I prefer the in your face approach too. I can tell you that Security companies are ALWAYS hiring. so if it comes down to it, its always an option. and you can get lucky and end up with a decent paying position.

Well I would work out as a hired gun... so to speak. I know how to handle myself, and well... handle others. But there are classes one needs to take over here. I could perhaps work at the hospital... they had a job a couple of years back... basically watching the parkinglot... driving around on a golf cart.

But there are so many places near by. I will flood the area with my applications, through resume's. I am really aiming for this Converges gig. But I will not put all my eggs in one basket. I will keep my eyes open.

No actually, I didn't. But there are other sources too. NOT monster jobs or anything... they fail. Snagajob.com Thanks for the support. I'm positive someone will be smart, and hire me... or is it stupid, as I will leave them at the drop if a hat when converges sets it up. I feel so bad, as I am a great pic. I have worked virtually everywhere in terms of experience. Customer service, retail/hardware, Telemarketing/collections/trainer, General Contractor, Food+++, Warehouse worker. I am no stranger to computers- I am a licensed Propane handler- I have my Forklift and High Low certification- I have management experience- I am familiar with inventory management/ via TELZON. I am a great handyman, as I can fix anything... I learned a great deal as a contractor... I built houses from the block up, I painted, I replaced or fixed many things, installed windows, laid shingles- worked at a hardware store, where I learned everything else I missed in contracting, repairing screens and tools and well... everything anyone brought in- worked in a warehouse where I pulled orders in house, while I pulled and organized shipments slated for next day delivery. I have worked at a few burger joints, Subway, and Taco Bell so I know my way around food macro/micro managing.

I get sh!t done... plain and simple. I am a valuable employee, so I will go to the highest bidder, as I deserve it. If I gotta leave after a few weeks at wherever at just above min wage... like say 7.50 an hour... you bet your ass I'll go to Convergys at starting out... 10 an hour. Some of you may say meh... but the min wage in Florida is $6.79, where as California is $8.00. There are a few other with 8 as the min. Problem is, good jobs are hard to come by here. They really are. We have a constant flow of newcomers. We are quite diverse here. A melting pot if you will. And everyone needs to work, right? Well sometimes that means you gotta settle, if you can't find anything... Id say the average job here, is around 7.50... entry level. Just keep looking while you work. That's all...

I worked with a lady at Subway... she used to be a tax adjuster... but the owners son took her job, and he was a nimrod. So she lost her job... but had to make some income. Great lady, taught me how to make awesome alcoholic punch. She did what she had to... but she finally found a job in her field of expertise, where they weren't shady... or breaking the law. She held out over other similar jobs due to her moral beliefs, and worked at crummy Subway until it came along. Ya just gotta do what you have to.

Only jobs I've had, have been walk in and shoot straight up that I want a job, never failed. I only ever once filled out an application (For more than writing my info down somewhere after the fact) and that was a night job stocking shelves when I went back to school.

Construction/demolition. 16 years old, walked on site and asked for the foreman. Started next day.

Current job. I went to the city with a friend who worked there, not necessarily wanting a job there. I walked into several places and had on the spot job offers, even for a C&C programmer/mechanic (I couldn't take it when they called me up, personal chaos....f**k sake). Wound up walking in, and being hired on the spot. When I got hired back (I left for a year and a half, attempting to go back to school = PHAIL), I simply called my old manager and said give me a job........done.

Moving company. Another walk in, hired right off the hop.

If you walk in somewhere and essentially tell THEM you're working for them, nobody else who has applied matters. Of course you can't word it as such, but when you appear to be someone they can't pass by......they won't.

Applications are useless and an afterthought.......somewhere to write down your social insurance/security number and banking details as far as I'm concerned. Applications are for the less motivated.

Only jobs I've had, have been walk in and shoot straight up that I want a job, never failed. I only ever once filled out an application (For more than writing my info down somewhere after the fact) and that was a night job stocking shelves when I went back to school.

Construction/demolition. 16 years old, walked on site and asked for the foreman. Started next day.

Current job. I went to the city with a friend who worked there, not necessarily wanting a job there. I walked into several places and had on the spot job offers, even for a C&C programmer/mechanic (I couldn't take it when they called me up, personal chaos....f**k sake). Wound up walking in, and being hired on the spot. When I got hired back, I simply called my old manager and said give me a job........done.

Moving company. Another walk in, hired right off the hop.

If you walk in somewhere and essentially tell THEM you're working for them, nobody else who has applied matters. Of course you can't word it as such, but when you appear to be someone they can't pass by......they won't.

Applications are useless and an afterthought.......somewhere to write down your social insurance/security number and banking details as far as I'm concerned. Applications are for the less motivated.

Damn straight. I like your attitude. That's what it is about. I'm tired of hearing about how "I can't find a job" when it is really "I don't want a job" People need to stop lying to themselves, and get sh!t done.

Have been a lab assistant, waiter, clothing promoter/salesperson, warehouse worker, clerk, bank teller, subcontractor contact, production planners and now inventory manager, some full-time, some part-time.

You just got ot do what you got to do.

Have been a lab assistant, waiter, clothing promoter/salesperson, warehouse worker, clerk, bank teller, subcontractor contact, production planners and now inventory manager, some full-time, some part-time.

You just got ot do what you got to do.

WOW.... and I thought I was diversified and seasoned... Exactly though... gotta do what is necessary to pay the bills. I'll shovel sh!t if I have to.

Yep, I hate online applications, sure it is more convenient but I and no one else I know has had luck getting hired with an online application alone. except for my wife, she was hired at walgreens with an online app. she was called in for an interview within a few days too, with no real skills or experience to speak of at the time. so I guess it does work sometimes.

I prefer the in your face approach too. I can tell you that Security companies are ALWAYS hiring. so if it comes down to it, its always an option. and you can get lucky and end up with a decent paying position.

I wouldn't suggest going into security. I am a Security officer and I can tell you that it's not worth it. You're not guaranteed to get a "G" license (for a gun..of course) unless the company who hired you has a client that needs that much security (ie airports, car dealerships etc.). You have to take a class that lasts one to two weeks (some are free depending on company) then waste gas, then pay $100 to have your picture taken, FBI background check and whatnot. The security jobs here average to $8.50/hr with ridiculous schedules. You have to pay $80 every two years (and moreso if you have a "G" license) to keep it current. Not to mention you have to deal with self righteous old fools who think because they're wearing a uniform they have as much authority as a cop. For that much pay, crappy benefits and dumb people, it's not really worth it in my opinion.

I wouldn't suggest going into security. I am a Security officer and I can tell you that it's not worth it. You're not guaranteed to get a "G" license (for a gun..of course) unless the company who hired you has a client that needs that much security (ie airports, car dealerships etc.). You have to take a class that lasts one to two weeks (some are free depending on company) then waste gas, then pay $100 to have your picture taken, FBI background check and whatnot. The security jobs here average to $8.50/hr with ridiculous schedules. You have to pay $80 every two years (and moreso if you have a "G" license) to keep it current. Not to mention you have to deal with self righteous old fools who think because they're wearing a uniform they have as much authority as a cop. For that much pay, crappy benefits and dumb people, it's not really worth it in my opinion.

you need to make friends with the scheduler. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Well I go to my interview Thursday! One can see this as "not a sure thing" but I don't see it this way. Sure I had that stumble at EA, but whatever. I just bought some shoes, so now my business casual ensemble is complete. Now I will get a new haircut, and tighten up my resume as well. I am a perfect fit for the job, as I have stated before. I will be prepared for the worst, but expect the best.