Widescreen TFT, MAME, and aspect ratio, How to get to display correctly?

kevc

I have set mame to auto display correct aspect ratio, and I have set to enforce it. However, horizontals still fill the whole screen (such as SF2). In fact, I think all horizontals fill the screen. Surely there should be some borders down either side like for vertical games?

It doesn't look stretched, in fact it looks superb, but I am wondering is it really displaying in its true aspect ratio?

If not, is there a way to do it for all?

If your monitor isn't set for 4:3, it will stretch everything on it's own. Vert games are given black borders to begin with, so those will remain unchanged unless you specify otherwise.

A 4:3 desktop resolution on a widescreen display for instance, will be stretched to fill the entire screen unless you tell your display otherwise. This can be done either on the display itself (usually) or sometimes on the graphics hardware.

If your monitor isn't set for 4:3, it will stretch everything on it's own. Vert games are given black borders to begin with, so those will remain unchanged unless you specify otherwise.

A 4:3 desktop resolution on a widescreen display for instance, will be stretched to fill the entire screen unless you tell your display otherwise. This can be done either on the display itself (usually) or sometimes on the graphics hardware.

I have a Samsung SM245B. Any ideas how I can tell it NOT to stretch? Also have nVidia graphics.

Check wherever it is you configure your graphics card.

My laptop has widescreen, an ATi card though, and I can set it in the Catalyst Control Center to maintain aspect ratio. (I don't, it's set to full screen, but anything I run with it set will display unstretched).