google releasing its own browser

Inky

I didn't realize you could drag tabs into new orders, and drag a tab outside the window to create a new window. pretty nifty. I always wondered why I couldn't reorder tabs in FF. the recently closed tab list on the home page is brilliant IMO, I don't know how many times I've closed a tab on accident and had to re-search or use my history to get back. I like the home page alot. I wish I could lock some pages to the home page though. overall. give me ad-block, an indication of my gmail inbox, and I'll never look back. for some reason FF3 has been crashing on me alot since I upgraded from FF2.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize you could drag tabs into new orders, and drag a tab outside the window to create a new window. pretty nifty. I always wondered why I couldn't reorder tabs in FF. the recently closed tab list on the home page is brilliant IMO, I don't know how many times I've closed a tab on accident and had to re-search or use my history to get back. I like the home page alot. I wish I could lock some pages to the home page though. overall. give me ad-block, an indication of my gmail inbox, and I'll never look back. for some reason FF3 has been crashing on me alot since I upgraded from FF2.

You can set your homepage to a single page or multiple pages, same as FF. I'm positive you can rearrange tabs in FF, I know for sure it can be done in Opera. There is an Undo Closed Tabs addon for FF btw.

I wouldn't expect any ad-block from Google since that's where they get their money. But I totally agree about a built in Gmail indicator. I would love that.

I use TabMixPlus in Firefox so I don't have those tab problems but Firefox should have that stuff built in. You can reorder stuff, lock tabs (I think), and open recently closed tabs.

My experience with Firefox 3 has been a lot worse than Firefox 2 but a lot of it has to do with how crappy Flash 9 is. Most of the problems should be fixed with Flash 10 but it's still annoying.

I'm looking into something called privoxy to block ads externally right now. I don't even need all the ads blocked just the obnoxious ones. googles little ad-sense ads don't bother me, pop ups, pop unders and ads that make noise are the main offenders.

This already blocks pop ups pretty effectively.

Just a heads up that Chrome does not protect your saved passwords and anyone can have naked access to all logins and fulltext passwords at a click. So if that's a major thing for you then Chrome may not be for you.

You could block ads externally with Peer Guardian or most firewalls have an integrated HTTP blocking feature.

It also turns out that Chrome is integrated with the Windows Hosts file so you can add entries into that too. I added these two for starters -

127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

127.0.0.1 ads.yieldmanager.com

Edited by gavin19

I got it yesterday after getting home from school, and so far I love everything about it except it won't run java clients. Kinda ironic despite its "web apps are the future" approach.... But it starts up amazingly fast, loads pages at screaming speeds, and so far has operated perfectly. It's a keeper for me.